Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal, is there a way to continue to use the Rear DVD Entertainment setup if you replace the Head Unit? All I would want it for is to have dual zone DVD and to retain the wireless headphones. On my headrest monitors there is a brain that has A/V out, so what I was thinking was running RCA's to the A/V Input on the stock DVD player and then I would retain the factory screen and headphones. Also, if my passanger wanted to watch a DVD up front they could use the HU and if the rear seat wanted something else, they could use the Stock DVD player for the rear. Any help or has anyone attempted this? The install shop tried and failed. I think you just need to power the fatory DVD. :clueless:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I guess I would ask is changing the factory head unit a must? did you add amps and speakers in and that is why you changed the FHU? From what I can see there may need to be alot of custom wiring to connect teh aftermarket rear controls the the new HU.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
masterwong said:
I guess I would ask is changing the factory head unit a must? did you add amps and speakers in and that is why you changed the FHU? From what I can see there may need to be alot of custom wiring to connect teh aftermarket rear controls the the new HU.
In saying that, no I didn't need to replace the factory headunit, but I wanted a clean look with the DVD in the dash and that is why I decided on the new HU. I was hoping there was a way to retain the factor DVD without the rear controls. If I can power it up, then the screen should work and the wireless headphones should work using the sound out of the factory DVD player or AUX IN on the factory DVD (just use the A/V out on the new HU to provide A/V for factory screen via DVD player).

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
All the audio to the rear controls goes through the factory HU. So if you replace the HU you'll loose the rear controls. Your video will still go to the monitor but no audio. You can add rca's to the factory dvd audio and then connect it up that way and then add a IR or RF system to use headphones

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is actually what I am going for, only audio via wireless headphones when you play a DVD in factory DVD or use the AUX IN on factory DVD. Just didn't know if anyone has tried this so I don't waste my time if it had already been tried. I was thinking that the factory DVD may only power on if it receives the signal from the factory HU saying it was connected. I will try and see if it works just hooking up power and ground. I will post once I have attempted it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts