Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the summer here and the temps above 90 it doesn't seem like the a/c system is working as well as it should. On the warmer days 90 and above it seems to take a good 5 minutes before the air blowing out is as cold as it should be. This doesn't seem normal to me. My other vehicles I have owned had cold air pumping out right now. I know on hotter days it will take longer for the whole cabin to cool down thats expected but the air blowing out should still be cool pretty quick. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I'm in So. Fla. and I noticed that myself yesterday...

You're right, the first time I started the truck it took about 10-12 minutes before the air was "cold".
Later in the day it seemed to be better.....
I don't know what to tell ya... I thought about mentioning it to the dealer tomorrow when I'm there for my replacement cat converter and the first brake situation...
I'm only at 2600 miles and this is getting old quickly, all of these problems lol

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Here in Tucson, AZ 115 and it take me a good 2-3 miles to get cooled down. But if I jump on the freeway it seems cool of faster. Stop and go does not help, but once it gets going I have to turn it down to about the 2nd or 3rd click

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Could it be the new style freon? It's been very hot here lately in southeast Texas, and it does take a while for the A/C to cool. I crank up my rear air as well.

It is a big vehicle and will take a while, but my old Tahoe's A/C was way better than the Armada.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I just spent 4 days in the 100-115 degree range. I had the front and rear A/C on full. As long as I was moving, it would cool down in a few minutes. (not too cold, just cool) But when I stopped at a red light, it would start blowing warm air.

Then I switched it to recirculate and it cooled down a bit.

I just had the dealer check mine last week and it was fully charged.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Even putting it on MAX AIR? Mine does better on Max Air and then I can lower it.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
When I take mine in to get the "brake job" I'm having it recharged too. The AC never ran cold & I only found out now since it's the first summer. I hope it's not an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
weezr17 said:
Even putting it on MAX AIR? Mine does better on Max Air and then I can lower it.
I put mine on Max Air and it actually started to warm up. Beats me????
I think Max Air is the same as setting #4 with the recirc button on.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Wow,
At least I'm not alone... It definetly does not blow "cold" all the time...
does take a while and even then its not really cold...

I know they're going to tell me tomorrow at the dealer that it is working fine, then its your word against theirs lol

I'll post their response tomorrow....
maybe if enough of us complain, Nissan will do something...

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
MMMMMM? Another MADA MYSTERY?!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Aye,

The only thing a miss about the 97 Suburban is the AC. Remember Air Conditioning "removes" heat (while circulating the air). The Mada is a 5600lb heat rock when it is sitting in the sun, it's going to take a while to suck all the heat out of the "Beast". Recirculate, turn that right front passenger vent right at your face, and hit on open road if possible! :cool:

Onward Club Armada!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
shouldn't have to do any of that.
The air out of the vent should be cold right away...
doesn't matter that it is a big cabin or a big truck.

The air out of the vent should be cold..lol

just chalk it up as another issue that Nissan needs to address....

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Heat03 said:
shouldn't have to do any of that.
The air out of the vent should be cold right away...
doesn't matter that it is a big cabin or a big truck.

The air out of the vent should be cold..lol

just chalk it up as another issue that Nissan needs to address....
The A/C can't make instant cold air in very hot weather. The A/C is taking in the air from inside the cabin or outside air, depending on if Rec. is selected or not. The hot air is drawn through the evaporator and the temp is lowered by an amount depending on intake air temp.
Look at the attached table. If the air temp entering the evaporator is 104 (common when a closed vehicle has been in the sun) then the discharge temp will be 72-85, depending on humidity. If the incoming air is 86 then the discharge temp will be 57-66.

Blackrain is right about the Armada (or any big vehicle) being a big heat sink. All that interior must be cooled down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Thank you.
I do understand.

All I'm saying is that even when not on recirculate, then matters are really bad, the air is actually hot.

Also, sometimes the air is cold right away, and other times it takes 10-15 minutes.

When they gave me a loaner car this morning for the first brake fix along with other problems, I jumped in this honda truck and believe me it is steaming hot here, Miami FLa, the air was ice cold as soon as i started the car. My last car, Infiniti FX, same thing, car before, MB C class, same thing, no matter how hot the car or outside temp was, the air coming from the vent was cold. If it's not on recirculate, it doesn't matter the temp of the air in the car right? Am I missing something?

All I'm saying is that sometimes it seems to cool ok (not great) and sometimes very bad....

Wasn't this bad when I first bought the truck 3 weeks ago?
Was the same temp then outside...

I'm sorry, I guess I just needed to vent some.
Since I bought this truck (which I do love) 3 weeks and 2700 miles ago, I have been in for service now 3 times, to include:

Bad Brake judder/rotors,
Bad ABS sensor
Bad Airbag sensor in dash,
Door handle broke,
Alignment is off,
Had to replace a cat. converter because the shield came loose and makes a horrible noise all day,
Hinges of rear gate are rusted,
and the A/c doesn't cool right all the time.

The A/C wouldn't be such a big deal and it probably isn't, if I had no other problems. Look at the list above, this is all within 3 weeks... I think it's a bit much for a $34000 brand new truck no?

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Does your Armada get hot inside?

Yes my Armada is Galaxy(black), but do you other owners feel that the Armada gets really hot inside? It may be 80 degrees outside, and when I get in the car, it's is roasting inside. I'm wondering if tinting the windows will help. I've already got a window shade in the front up.
My other cars parked right next to the Armada are a lot cooler inside. Weird.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
It's the black!

I had a black truck a couple of years ago and although I love the look, I would never do it again. Living in Tucson, AZ is not the place for black. When I bought my that truck the dealer tried to tell me that they did a test on all colors by putting thermometers in the ashtrays and they all came out with the same temp - so black didn't get hotter- BS!!!

I have the Gold Mada and it gets hot also but not that hot. I agree with everyone regarding the AC. My last vehicle was an Olds Bravada SUV and it had an AC to die for..

The Armada is also tall inside so it takes awhile for the air to get to top to cool the entire space. I found that if I put it on recirculate, full blast, open the little wing windows or the back windows slightly to pull the heat out, it helps a lot. What bothers me most about the whole AC issue is when you are moving slow or sitting at a light, it shouldn't get warm and it does!

RA :eek:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input

cfranzen said:
With the summer here and the temps above 90 it doesn't seem like the a/c system is working as well as it should. On the warmer days 90 and above it seems to take a good 5 minutes before the air blowing out is as cold as it should be. This doesn't seem normal to me. My other vehicles I have owned had cold air pumping out right now. I know on hotter days it will take longer for the whole cabin to cool down thats expected but the air blowing out should still be cool pretty quick. Any ideas or suggestions?
I just wanted to say thanks for all the responses. I would have rather heard that everyone's a/c was working great. Now it sounds like we just have to live with the poor performance unless Nissan figures something out. Hopefully they do. :hothot:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
BTW,
Tinting the windows does help. Not only did I tint the two front windows, pretty dark, I also had them throw a layer of light tint over the rest of the windows that were already tinted (somewhat) from the dealer. It did help quite a bit.

not to mention, you don't want people peeking at the inside of your precious (Mada) and looking around lol !!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts