Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found several past posts where people complained of this issue, but never any solutions posted. Thought I would reach out to see if anyone had any experience.

2011 Armada Platinum

Air conditioner will blow very cold. If I start it and it is blowing cold, I can leave it running in the driveway all day and it will stay frosty cold inside. If I turn it off and turn it back on, it is a toss-up if the compressor will kick in. If it doesn't I can leave it running all day, and it just blows warm air. Same if I start it from cold. You never know which one you will get when you start it.

If I take it out and drive it around, the compressor clutch will intermittently kick in and out. I would say it works 80% of the time. There is no relationship between how fast the car is moving and when it kicks in and out.

Ambient temperature doesn't seem to be a factor, though I haven't had any really cool days to say that for sure.

Through all of this, the blower, the door motors, etc, act just like they should. Cabin air filters are new, and have been replaced regularly.

Whether working or in failure, the Self-Diagnostics pass with no errors.

My assumption is that an actual pressure problem would cause it to fail after running at idle for several hours in my driveway on a 95 degree day.

The 10A fuse on the IPDM (#42) for the compressor is fine.

I am guessing at the AC Relay on the IPDM, but at least one previous poster said that he replaced his IPDM with no joy.

Anybody ever figure this particular issue out?

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Have you had the AC system refrigerant level checked? My guess would be that your refrigerant level is marginal, sometimes the pressure is okay and the system works, and another time it doesn't. That's where I would start.

Keith

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
If you decide to bring it to a shop, make sure when they recharge the A/C, to have all the settings for both front and back set on HIGH.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you had the AC system refrigerant level checked? My guess would be that your refrigerant level is marginal, sometimes the pressure is okay and the system works, and another time it doesn't. That's where I would start.

Keith
No, I have not. I had an appointment on Monday to take it to a shop, but when I got there, the shop was closed for 14 days because of a COVID outbreak among the staff.

This is actually my father-in-law's 2011 Armada. I was just taking it in for him, and since the shop was closed and I couldn't get an appointment soon anywhere else I started trouble shooting it myself. Never know when I will have the same thing happen to my 2008 Armada :)

After starting the troubleshooting from the FSM, it seemed like the problem was unlikely to be refrigerant. If it were refrigerant it seems to me like when it was good and hot it would kick off whether the vehicle was in motion or not. Doesn't make sense to me that it just as often doesn't work from a cold start, either. But Air Conditioning isn't an area I have much experience in, so I could be wrong.

I just didn't want to take it to an independant shop if this is a complicated issue that the dealer would be more likely to be familiar with and fix quickly. And I don't want to take it to the very expensive dealer if it just needs a shot of freon.

Thanks for the thoughts.

If you decide to bring it to a shop, make sure when they recharge the A/C, to have all the settings for both front and back set on HIGH.
Thanks for that, I will keep that in mind. I might have forgotten the rear A/C.

Update:

The dealer diagnosed this as a bad A/C Pressure Sensor Switch. Cost for the diagnostics were $117, then another $275 to evacuate the system, replace the part, and recharge. We will see if this fixes it, but it makes sense. It does make me wonder what use the sensor-self diagnostics procedure is good for, since running that didn't find anything wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts