Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new member here. I have a 2004 Armada 4x4 SE Offroad with air ride and tow package. The air ride system does not work at all. I would like to convert to a traditional gas shock / spring set up and lift it about 2-3 inches. Based from what I found, it seems a good set up on a budget is the Armada 2' Bilstein 5100 shock/ rear spacer kit from PRG, and Moog 81085 springs with Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Any issues with this set up? Will this lower the tow capacity? What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
7 Posts
bummed you didn't get a response. i have an 08 2wd SE. the front suspension is horrible, so i'm looking to replace purely for ride comfort/safetey. since it sits so low, i was thinkin about doing 2" up front and finding the matching 2" lift in rear while at it. curious to see feedback if members have gone a similar route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, same here haha. Still haven’t done anything with the suspension yet. Does your air ride still work? Based off what I read, looks like a 2” lift is pretty easy to achieve if you keep the air ride in the rear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alrighty, I got in contact with Greg from PRG to get more info. He said to run everything except use bilstein 4600 rear shocks instead of the rancho Xl’s. Greg has them in stock, just not on his website yet. (Currently working on it) Sounds like he’s coming up with different variation kits that will start showing up on his website as well. I ordered everything today, so I’ll start posting pictures when I start installing everything.
Here’s the list:
Armada 2” 5100 spacer kit.
Bilstein 4600 rear shocks.
Moog 81085 springs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keep us posted, i'd love to see that.

I just finished swapping out front struts to 5100 on front and left them at the "stock" setting. It is an 08 SE 2wd and I've alwys thought it sat super low. Since it's my wifes, i decided to not adjust the height of the front 5100's...halfway b/c i didn't want to have to do the rear as well and was worried about it sitting higher in front then back.

It actually ended up raising the front by 1/2 inch or an inch. it doesn't look bad, but would be great if they both sat like that. Since we plan on towing a mid size camper with this, i figure i may as well consider doing the rear.

I've left Greg multiple voicemails and an email over the last 3 weeks got no response. I know he's a small business and its Covid times, but i thought he may have gone out of business due to complete lack of response. I ended up ordering on Rock Auto...Glad to hear you got a response, as i prefer to support someone like him.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Don’t be surprised if Greg never gets back to you and you end up having to contact your CC company or PayPal for a refund. He’s notorious for doing this; well documented over at TitanTalk. Sadly, it’s hit or miss when doing business with PRG. Back when I had the 04 LE, I received a damaged set of PRG sway bar end links. The heims were so loose out the box and it literally took weeks for him to reply. I was told to send them back for a replacement; no replacement was ever sent back. Sure I got my money back from PayPal but I wasn’t going to risk thousands with that type of service. I went with Dirt King Fab for all the suspension upgrades and never an issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do! I think this will be a good set up that won’t break the bank. I’ll eventually add air bags in the real coils when I actually start to tow stuff. Yeah, I might of got lucky then I guess. He responded to my email the day I sent it, calling took a bit, but I got him Monday morning around 8am. Sorry to hear about that, sucks when stuff like that happens. I’m a first time customer so hopefully all goes well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone, new member here. I have a 2004 Armada 4x4 SE Offroad with air ride and tow package. The air ride system does not work at all. I would like to convert to a traditional gas shock / spring set up and lift it about 2-3 inches. Based from what I found, it seems a good set up on a budget is the Armada 2' Bilstein 5100 shock/ rear spacer kit from PRG, and Moog 81085 springs with Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Any issues with this set up? Will this lower the tow capacity? What do you guys recommend?
Stay with the Bilstein and forget the Ranchos. I have the Rancho setup (parts in pic) and now the front is an inch higher that the back plus the ride quality is nothing to brag about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got everything installed! It was quite the job but definitely was worth it. Rides a lot better, looks pretty leveled for the most part. Looks slightly higher in the rear which I like. As soon as I get on a leveled surface I’ll get measurements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That looks really good...I already have the 5100s in the front and I was using a coil spacer and then just adjusted my rear air shocks to even out the Mada, but now my compressor went out. Were the 4600s a direct fit where the air shock was?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s what I was going to do if my air ride still worked. Yes, they are a direct fit. They are a couple inches longer so you really have to push that lower a arm down to line up the bolt holes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts