Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone considering adding a DVD player I'd suggest considering something like this. Mvix I don't have one but this is exactly what I was looking for at the time I put together my Armadaputer. It cost more than a DVD player but you won't have to carry around DVDs and can easily be used with your home entertainment center as well. You would just need to "backup" your DVD collection to it. You typically need to add a drive, I'd suggest getting something over 200gig. I've been playing with different file types and sizes and for a 9" screen you can compress a DVD down to about 400mb and have near dvd picture quality. If playing this on a large screen you'll probably want to only compress it down to 700mb-1gig in size.

I've been using Dr. Divx but have recently figured out that Nero's Digital format is a better encoder. The Dr. took about 3 hours to convert while Nero takes less than an hour plus you have more control in setting what you want to encode i.e. trim of the credits and intro. I've also been able to use Nero to burn 3 full length DVDs to one DVD so I can cut down the number of disk I have to carry to 1/3.

My only problem now is that I'm out of space to install this thing. I think it could be made to fit in the the side tray of the center console but you might have to trim some. This thing would also be great to just carry on long road trips with no need to wire it up as it has a built in FM transmitter. Just use it regularly as part of the home entertainment center and not have 30 different Disney movies laying around the house and the kids constantly "Daddy can you put this one in?"

Here is something for the more budget minded but note it uses a laptop drive so you are limited to smaller drive capacities and the 2.5" drives cost more.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Do you know if this comes with an O/S? I was looking at getting something for my home multimedia system. I wanted to hook up my wireless Internet, for browsing the web on my projection TV, as well as playing DVD. It would double as a DVD player for the car then too. Do you know if the resolution is decent for a 46"? Might be worth checking out!!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
madamadness said:
Do you know if this comes with an O/S? I was looking at getting something for my home multimedia system. I wanted to hook up my wireless Internet, for browsing the web on my projection TV, as well as playing DVD. It would double as a DVD player for the car then too. Do you know if the resolution is decent for a 46"? Might be worth checking out!!
It comes with it's own operating software.that is capable of playing media. It's not going to be anything like XP, it'll just be a simple windows explorer type deal and preloaded software for playing the media. The resolution will depend on the media you play, I suspect. The smaller the file size the less the resolution. If you compress a dvd down to about 1 gig I doubt you could tell the difference between the video quality of the DVD vs. compressed file.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.