Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced alternator, 6 months ago, both alternator and battery checks good. Immediately after installing, the power steering pump whined. Replaced fluid no whining, now after driving 4-8 miles, volts start bouncing to just below 12 volts, then goes back up to 14+.lights dim then brighten. Levels out then does it again. does stall occasionally when at light too long or at stop sign. Now after the volt bouncing begins it won't stop after 4-8 miles. Shut it off let it sit, starts fine, runs fine until warms up then back through the whole volt bouncing.. any suggestions? Also power steering has a small creeping leak but is on top of alternator, have noticed fluid on connections....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was your replacement alternater pulley same size and has same amount of grooves as the original.
Same thing was happening to my Dodge and it was under size pulley on replacement alternator

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Just replaced alternator, 6 months ago, both alternator and battery checks good. Immediately after installing, the power steering pump whined. Replaced fluid no whining, now after driving 4-8 miles, volts start bouncing to just below 12 volts, then goes back up to 14+.lights dim then brighten. Levels out then does it again. does stall occasionally when at light too long or at stop sign. Now after the volt bouncing begins it won't stop after 4-8 miles. Shut it off let it sit, starts fine, runs fine until warms up then back through the whole volt bouncing.. any suggestions? Also power steering has a small creeping leak but is on top of alternator, have noticed fluid on connections....
Ok.. so I own a 2005 Armada and a 2003 Murano... My Murano had a new alternator and belt installed and ever since then - I have the exact same problems you have! Volts bouncing and lights brighten and dim..especially at idle. Difference with me is that I've never stalled and it seems to stop when actually driving. I'm following this Post to see if some solution comes up!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ok.. so I own a 2005 Armada and a 2003 Murano... My Murano had a new alternator and belt installed and ever since then - I have the exact same problems you have! Volts bouncing and lights brighten and dim..especially at idle. Difference with me is that I've never stalled and it seems to stop when actually driving. I'm following this Post to see if some solution comes up!
This is acthought that just came to mind...Check your belt tightness. If the tech didn't tension the belt all the way, your belt might be slipping on the pulley and not spinning the alternator at the right speed or all the time...When a heavy load item comes on the resistance on the alternator gets higher and may be causing the belt to slip...just a thought.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
This is acthought that just came to mind...Check your belt tightness. If the tech didn't tension the belt all the way, your belt might be slipping on the pulley and not spinning the alternator at the right speed or all the time...When a heavy load item comes on the resistance on the alternator gets higher and may be causing the belt to slip...just a thought.
Sounds like good advice! Will do... and cross my fingers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thats what I tried to say because of undersized pulley, my belt was a bit loose and causing the symptoms you guys are saying.
Check to make sure your pulley is exact size of the original

1 - 8 of 8 Posts