Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and found this site quite informative. I saw the Clarion install performed by others and went ahead and installed one myself. Thanks to everyone that provided part numbers, prices, pictures, etc :D

The Clarion unit is the way to go for the mada. The install was pretty straight forward. The most difficult part was the creation of a custom bracket that held the unit in place. Luckily I have a buddy who is a Mechanical Engineer that made one for me in a flash. Here are some pics for those of you that are still trying to decide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ggeorgie said:
welcome and thank you for posting, it looks awsome, and yes if you have the drawing that will be great to post it, now the million dollar ???????, how much for the unit and the install ? :goteam:
Thanks ggeorgie,

I will post up the drawing tomorrow. But keep in mind you will have to do some cutting to your dash!!

The cost was as follows:
1.) Clarion Unit: $1169.99 (but found it at Good Guys going out of business sale for 30% off)
2.) Nissan Center Trim: $140.00 (you can easily talk the dealer down on price, he started at $230 yeah right for plastic!)
3.) Xovision back-up camera: $50 Fry's electronics (color/night vision, microphone, small with mounting bracket)
4.) Door Trim $3.50
5.) Add a fuse: $3.00
6.) Micro-USB cable $8.00 (Sucks doesn't come included)
7.) USB cable: $3.50
8.) Nissan reverse camera integrated camera mount: Still looking
9.) Mounting Bracket: Free
10.) 3M Stick tape: Free
11.) Installation: Free-did it myself (it's not difficult at all, more time consuming than anything else, 2 day job if trying to get perfect)

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Grumble_Grumble said:
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and found this site quite informative. I saw the Clarion install performed by others and went ahead and installed one myself. Thanks to everyone that provided part numbers, prices, pictures, etc :D

The Clarion unit is the way to go for the mada. The install was pretty straight forward. The most difficult part was the creation of a custom bracket that held the unit in place. Luckily I have a buddy who is a Mechanical Engineer that made one for me in a flash. Here are some pics for those of you that are still trying to decide.
Bro if I was you I would remove that pic of the custom bracket, call clarion, and offer them the rights to patent. Thats awsome work!! If you didn't have pics I would never believe that was an aftermarket system. Very professional!!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Grumble_Grumble said:
I will post up the drawing tomorrow. But keep in mind you will have to do some cutting to your dash!!
What did you use to cut your dash? A Dremel?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
nice work grumble,
my only issue it that you cant operate the hard buttons with your setup. what's going to happen when you need to power it on and off because sometimes the system freezes. i don't know if you will be able to use any of the other features (sirius,video,music) not to mention the infrared sensor is useless while it is enclosed in that housing. that's why beast shaved the housing down. it looks good overall, but i can se some flaws since i own one. i like buying things for function. i mounted mine in the change tray which allows me access to all hard buttons, as well as it is very easy to hook it up to my computer for map updates etc.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Armada Brotha said:
nice work grumble,
my only issue it that you cant operate the hard buttons with your setup. what's going to happen when you need to power it on and off because sometimes the system freezes. i don't know if you will be able to use any of the other features (sirius,video,music) not to mention the infrared sensor is useless while it is enclosed in that housing. that's why beast shaved the housing down. it looks good overall, but i can se some flaws since i own one. i like buying things for function. i mounted mine in the change tray which allows me access to all hard buttons, as well as it is very easy to hook it up to my computer for map updates etc.
Actually you can't access those buttons on my system either but what I did differently was routed the power cable that came with it behind the dash and pooped out right in from of the 12VDC plug (cigarette lighter) so if I ever have to reboot all I have to do is unplug it and plug it back in, although I've never had mine to hang up. Because as long as the last time you shut it down was with the plug and not the button you never have to use the power button again. My unit powers up and down just like the radio with the ON or ACC position of the ignition. All of the other functionality is accessable via the touch screen. As for downloads I have USB 2.0 cable hidden behind the trim by the floor and when I want to download some files I just pull it out and stash it back. Grumble's bracketology looks very good, but by using the strap that I did I only had to shave a little behind the dash, where he had to do a lot more cutting to accomidate the bracket. I did everything the way I did so that I can reverse the process if I desire. And for future reference if any one else is going to buy one got to pricegrabber.com and search for Clarion N.I.C.E. they have them as low as $858.95.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Clarion_Clarion_N_I_C_E_Portable_GPS_Navigation,__9885235/fd=1

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Armada Brotha said:
nice work grumble,
Thanks Armada Brotha,
Actually you can operate all the functions from the screen itself, there is really no need for the buttons. All the features video, Sirius, back-up camera, nav, music can be controlled through the screen. I have the power supply on a hidden toggle switch that is connected to the ignition source, so rebooting is as easy as flipping the switch or turning car on and off Once you turn the Clarion unit on, it remembers that setting and will turn itself on when the car is in the ignition on position. I routed all the USB cables to the glove box for easy computer interface and memory card swap.

I wanted the install to look as OEM as possible and I think the housing makes it look the part. Another bonus is would be thieves will look at it and think to themselves that it's going to take some work to rip out and hard to sell if OEM unit :p

Yes, Beast the downside to using the bracket is you need to cut more material.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bracket Drawings

As promised, here are the Bracket and bar attachment drawings. The bar goes on the opposing side of the bracket behind the Nissan plastic assembly to give greater clamping force (I would not trust the strength of the plastic assembly alone, it is really too thin.) I drilled through the plastic assembly and used screws to attach the bracket to the bar.

The bracket I had created was dead on and worked perfectly, but keep in mind you will have to do some cutting to the dash to make it work! You should really use this as a model or guide because I really don't want to be held responsible if you have problems with the install. Please use at your own risk.

Good Luck :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Here are some of my completed pics for the Navigation Housing Monitor and radio bezel.

I had the stero shop ( Super Aotubachs, Stanton, CA) trim the radion bezel and put a sweet carbon fiber piece to blend the two pieces ( radio bezel and monitor housing) so you cannot see any gap.

Let me know what you think or if you need any more pics email me

[email protected]

Kevin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
ockevin said:
Here are some of my completed pics for the Navigation Housing Monitor and radio bezel.

I had the stero shop ( Super Aotubachs, Stanton, CA) trim the radion bezel and put a sweet carbon fiber piece to blend the two pieces ( radio bezel and monitor housing) so you cannot see any gap.

Let me know what you think or if you need any more pics email me

[email protected]

Kevin
really really nice, How long did the install take? :fantastic

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gunslinger420 said:
What did you use to cut your dash? A Dremel?

Thanks
I used a cordless Dremel tool to do the cutting and it worked great. Just make sure you cover up the stereo below from (plastic debris) and have a vacuum handy to pick up as you go. A right- angle Dremel adapter also helped allow for easier cuts at certain angles.

The front stereo panel will stick up about 1.5 inches higher than the new nav cluster and will also need to be cut. To do this I used a sharp razor with a metal straight edge and scored the front panel because a dremel moves too fast and will melt plastic as it cuts!!

Regards,
:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Back Up Camera

Grumble_Grumble said:
Thanks ggeorgie,

The cost was as follows:
1.) Clarion Unit: $1169.99 (but found it at Good Guys going out of business sale for 30% off)
2.) Nissan Center Trim: $140.00 (you can easily talk the dealer down on price, he started at $230 yeah right for plastic!)
3.) Xovision back-up camera: $50 Fry's electronics (color/night vision, microphone, small with mounting bracket)
4.) Door Trim $3.50
5.) Add a fuse: $3.00
6.) Micro-USB cable $8.00 (Sucks doesn't come included)
7.) USB cable: $3.50
8.) Nissan reverse camera integrated camera mount: Still looking
9.) Mounting Bracket: Free
10.) 3M Stick tape: Free
11.) Installation: Free-did it myself (it's not difficult at all, more time consuming than anything else, 2 day job if trying to get perfect)

Hope that helps.
What's the staus of the back up camera install. Did you get the Nissan mount, or did you fab something. I'd like to see pics if so.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Back-Up Camera

The Beast said:
What's the staus of the back up camera install. Did you get the Nissan mount, or did you fab something. I'd like to see pics if so.
Beast,
I saw the Nissan camera mount/handle in person and it is a nice looking piece with a glass aperature. It is much better than anything I can fabricate. The seal, location and angle are perfect and it will offer the camera protection from the elements/washing.

I called around for the Nissan camera assembly and was quoted $160. I will try to get Nissan to lower the price, buy it and install it next weekend as I am really busy this weekend. It looks like the piece is already color matched?, but I will find out for sure later.

I was looking through the dealer manual and it looks like the install is pretty straight forward. However, I need to find out where to connect the camera trigger. I will post pics when installed. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.