Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading the rave on subs in the trunk, etc...and the JL audio set up is sweet...just rather it was ABS plastic rather than carpeted, IMHO.

My quesiton is...how "expandable" is the OEM Bose 6 cd changer? IOW, are you guys just amp'ing and sub'ing the OEM speakers and radio? If so, how hard is it to do...and wondering if putting a high quality amp to the OEM speakers would improve sound quality? Or are guys just putting subs in addition to the OEM setup and leaving the OEM speaker/amp situation alone?

TIA,

ST

· Premium Member
43 Posts
I just added an amp and JL Audio sub. Still running the factory speakers, but had crossovers installed on them so they aren't producing any low bass. Planning to upgrade the speakers & add an amp for them at a later date.

Everyone I've ever talked to says that Bose does funky things - shop that installed mine said in the Bose setup, each speaker has its own little amp, rather than 1 multi-channel amp. Have heard Bose speakers have different impedance than other speakers. Also say that it's easier to add to / modify a non-Bose system. Output of the Bose head unit might not work well with after-market amps. Again, these are just some things I've heard from stereo shop personnel.

I believe the Bose system has a "sub" (sub in quotes because in my mind you can't call a 6-inch driver a sub) in the left rear wheel well.

· Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't mind my asking...exactly WHAT JL-Audio stuff did you install, and how much did it cost...and are you relatively pleased with it?

TIA! That other information is quite helpful and I appreciate your input.

Scott

blairc said:
I just added an amp and JL Audio sub. Still running the factory speakers, but had crossovers installed on them so they aren't producing any low bass. Planning to upgrade the speakers & add an amp for them at a later date.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
blairc said:
I believe the Bose system has a "sub" (sub in quotes because in my mind you can't call a 6-inch driver a sub) in the left rear wheel well.
I'm not sure about the 04/05 models, but my 06 with Factory Bose has a 6" sub with integrated amp underneath the driver's seat. The entire unit is encased in metal with a metal grill on top for the up-firing woofer. The whole thing is about 3 inches thick and about 12"Wx10"L. It takes up 90% of the floor space under the seat.

I'll agree that a 6-inch "sub" isn't much in a house, but inside a car, it's plenty for me. I appreciate a strong bass sound, but don't have to have it booming.

· Premium Member
42 Posts
sturner06 said:
If you don't mind my asking...exactly WHAT JL-Audio stuff did you install, and how much did it cost...and are you relatively pleased with it?

Scott
I put a JL 500/1 amp for the JL W6v2 on ported box and JL 300/4 for the JL VR650 csi. the total cost for all is about $1950 installed. i replaced my headunit with a Pioneer AVHP5700.

· Premium Member
43 Posts
sturner06 said:

Scott
I added a JL Audio 12W3 in a box built by JL, and a Total Mobile Audio 5001 amp that puts out 340 watts x 1. (Total is owned by JL). Pics are available for viewing on my personal site Armada stero page . Total cost installed = $800.

Am I happy with it? It rocks! It will seriously boom when I want to crank the Dre, but it also sounds great with jazz & the wife's Kelly Clarkson type stuff. My mom even thinks it sounds good! And she's in her 60's. (I played some Manheim Steamroller for her) Planning to upgrade the factory speakers & put a good amp on them at some point so they can keep up with the sub.

I agree with jcvader that you don't need to have it booming, but for good, clean, strong bass without distortion, you need a big woofer & strong amp. Think of it this way, would you rather have the 300 horse V8 we get in the 'Mada, or a little, wimpy 6 cylinder? I think everyone would take the strong V8. Do you use all of the power all of the time? Of course not. But it's there if / when you want it. A 6 cylinder would be struggling to do what you want, even if you're not trying to drive fast. The V8 is smooth & almost effortless.

And let's face it, no matter what you call it, what kind of box you put it into, or what technology you put behind it, there are just some notes a 6" driver won't play well. You still won't be able to hear the lowest notes in your music. The difference is noticeable.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
No disagreement here blairc... given the opportunity and unlimited funds, I would go all out on audio. You can't beat the proper audio equipment for pure sound quality.

Unfortunately though, I have several limitations to what I can do with the Mada... 1) money, 2) my 1 year old son doesn't need to lose his hearing from a booming sub, 3) The wife drives the Mada during the week, and doesn't even like the bass that the 6" BOSE puts out, 4) I would only get a few hours of "alone time" with the Mada each weekend, and there are other things I prefer to have (dvd, nav, etc...) long before I upgrade the sub. I would be getting my home theater upgraded before I spent that kind of money in the car.

· Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sound Solution...Economical?

Sounds like I might be able to spring for a 12" sub and a decent amp, install some bass blockers on the current speakers and maybe it would sound much improved? I bet I can get that done for < $500. Won't be top line JL stuff, but still high quality, like Polk Audio or maybe Crossfire.

With the one piece, integrated dash, etc...of the Armada...I just don't want to hack it up installing an aftermarket unit. Disclaimer: Have never seen an aftermarket unit installed, so I have no idea what I am talking about. LOL Just seems complicated to me, but perhaps it isn't.

ST

· Premium Member
43 Posts
jcvader99 said:
Unfortunately though, I have several limitations to what I can do with the Mada...
I hear you on the limitations jcvader...I don't turn it up when anyone else is in the car (mostly wife & 4 year old)...but boy do I enjoy when I'm alone on the 45 minute commute!...don't have unlimited funds either (if I did I'd have gone for the Stealthbox - $1,300 installed w/ JL 500x1 amp! MB Quart speakers, maybe an Eclipse AVN head unit.)

But this is the one thing I wanted to do to the 'Mada. Years ago I had a sweet system. All Alpine & Rockford Fosgate. Had 2 Punch 12" subs running on a Punch 150, and a Punch 75 running the rest of the speakers. Sounded sooooo nice. Then I went for 8 years in a '95 Pathfinder with stock speakers, no amp, and a nice Alpine head unit & 6-disk changer. All the while I wanted a better system, but either couldn't afford it, or couldn't sacrifice the limited room of the PF with the spare tire inside.

You have different things you want to do. I say go for it! Make it yours! Everybody's priorities & likes differs.

Whatever you do, have fun!!!

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.