Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I have been making quite a few test acceleration runs in my Armada. My mods are the Volant CAI, Airaid TBS and Gibson single side cat back system. I am using both my OBD2 software and my G-Tech Pro SS units to collect data. I don't claim the G-Tech readings are "dead on" because I haven't checked it against a run through the lights on a strip. However the data from it are equal to the data I get from the OBD2. But as a tool to compare runs the G-Tech is very accurate.

This morning I installed the Grounding Kit, and made another 1/4 mile test. It is important to note that I had about 40 pounds less gas in the tank than in previous runs; I usually make tests with 1/2 tank, today I had a little less than 1/4 tank. Total weight was about 5,440 pounds with me inside. The outside temp at the time of the run was 94, a couple of degrees hotter than my last runs. I do all the tests on the same road, at the same point. The VDC was off.
Here are the results:

------ Today's run -- Best Previous Run
0-60 MPH -- 6.86 sec -- 6.93 sec
1/4 mile -- 15.32 -- 15.39
1/8 mile -- 9.84 -- 9.92
60 ft -- 2.296 -- 2.336
Max G -- .68 -- .65
Max RPM -- 5,428 -- 5,424
(2-3 shift)

As I stated, the reduced weight due to less fuel was part of the increase in performance, but it looks as the grounding kit also helped.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35 Posts
If you are not an F1 fan, then you need to be..

scr38 said:
As many of you know, I have been making quite a few test acceleration runs in my Armada. My mods are the Volant CAI, Airaid TBS and Gibson single side cat back system. I am using both my OBD2 software and my G-Tech Pro SS units to collect data. I don't claim the G-Tech readings are "dead on" because I haven't checked it against a run through the lights on a strip. However the data from it are equal to the data I get from the OBD2. But as a tool to compare runs the G-Tech is very accurate.

This morning I installed the Grounding Kit, and made another 1/4 mile test. It is important to note that I had about 40 pounds less gas in the tank than in previous runs; I usually make tests with 1/2 tank, today I had a little less than 1/4 tank. Total weight was about 5,440 pounds with me inside. The outside temp at the time of the run was 94, a couple of degrees hotter than my last runs. I do all the tests on the same road, at the same point. The VDC was off.
Here are the results:

------ Today's run -- Best Previous Run
0-60 MPH -- 6.86 sec -- 6.93 sec
1/4 mile -- 15.32 -- 15.39
1/8 mile -- 9.84 -- 9.92
60 ft -- 2.296 -- 2.336
Max G -- .68 -- .65
Max RPM -- 5,428 -- 5,424
(2-3 shift)

As I stated, the reduced weight due to less fuel was part of the increase in performance, but it looks as the grounding kit also helped.
...you would enjoy it I do believe!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
156 Posts
what speeds did you do the quarter and 8th mile in? also what were the road conditions? sunny, rainy, and also dew point and humitity? were these all the same? now i know they won't be exact (weather wise) i'm not trying to be a wise a$$, but other factors, if shifted, would give you better/worse results. kind of like playing golf...not only are you playing against the course, you play against yourself. did you floor it everytime? did you make a baseline run without any mods? can you tell i test crap for a living?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
Great run, Scr38, considering the bad conditions.

It's hot here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast - temp 95, humidity sky high. Only thing we have going for us is that we are at sea level. My G-Tech times are way down from their best numbers which I posted of back-to-back runs back in April when temps were at least 30 degrees cooler and humidity much dryer. Those 14.8's and 14.9's are history until we get cooler weather.

Your runs peaked my curiosity, so I just made one. Traffic precluded me making a second run today. I normally make these on the same road in opposite directions, back to back. I have the G-Tech Pro Comp and it can produce charts. I'll download the data tonight, generate a chart and hope to get it on-line tomorrow.

With this sorry weather, my 60 foot time really suffered and that hurt everything, producing a subpar 0-60. Once the truck got going, it did better. I did have VDC off, as always for these kind of runs.

You are clearly running better than I, although I am spotting you some weight. With a 4x4 and dry weight at 5640 and me (at 185 lbs) and my usual stuff on board, I'm probably at between 5900 and 6000 lbs.

But here's the dismal reading today:

1/4 mile - [email protected]
1/8 mile - [email protected]
0-60 mph - 7.320 sec.
60 ft - 2.446 (really bad)

Rear wheel horsepower peak is also down to 227 compared to 250 in April. Rear wheel torque peak is down to 279 compared to 295 back in April.

These runs were made with a 1/2 tank of regular gas and with no mods to the vehicle other than a K&N drop in and the so called "airbox" mod of opening up the airbox's internal air snorkel. I have a K&N Aircharger intake, but did not have it on for this run, nor the one back in April.

What a difference cool air with low humidity makes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Armada Brotha said:
what speeds did you do the quarter and 8th mile in? also what were the road conditions? sunny, rainy, and also dew point and humitity? were these all the same? now i know they won't be exact (weather wise) i'm not trying to be a wise a$$, but other factors, if shifted, would give you better/worse results. kind of like playing golf...not only are you playing against the course, you play against yourself. did you floor it everytime? did you make a baseline run without any mods? can you tell i test crap for a living?
Exactly the same conditions - sunny, temp in mid 90's, humidity 70%. The road was asphalt, in good condition, dry. No wheelspin on any runs. Stock Conti tires aired to 37 PSI. 1/4 speed was 90.29; 1/8 speed 72.6. No power braking, just floored throttle. Transmission in D. I have made several runs in all configurations. I have also had my Armada weighed on a certified scale to get the correct weight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
WOW, you guys are all getting different times than me i did several test runs myself and i had consistand numbers of
0-60 6.6-6.8
1/4 14.7-15.0

i have a fully loaded 2004 stock Qx56 stock contis everything no tire pressure set at 38psi hmm odd :rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
Your times are quite consistent with my times back in April with 60-65 degree temps and low himidity. I'm running in 95 degrees with humidity at or near 90% right now.

Where are you and what were the conditions when you tested?

On the other boards right now, Titans are posting times like 15.66 or so in this kind of weather.

It makes a big difference.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
When i did the test runs it was pretty hot in the 90 degree range maybe even 100, humidty i wasnt really sure. i'm located in northern california. im thinking about putting some mods on later :p maybe aem brute force air intake, active tuning ground kit, wheel spacers and quad exhaust(if possible)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
Just out of curiosity has anyone tested the topspeed of a Qx or armada? i've read somewhere that its limited to 112 but i've taken it to 130 with no problem and plenty of pedal left.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
359 Posts
SilverQShip said:
Just out of curiosity has anyone tested the topspeed of a Qx or armada? i've read somewhere that its limited to 112 but i've taken it to 130 with no problem and plenty of pedal left.
I spent all day towing the boat back from Shuswap BC at 120-125. Oh, oops that's KPH :D
That's interesting about the top speed. Maybe one of the other goodies you get with the Q ship is a higher limit. Haven't topped out the Armada yet. A little scared with the stock tires.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
My speed limiter spoils the fun at an indicated 114. Even if it did not, I would not feel safe at a higher speed on these tires.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
SilverQShip said:
WOW, you guys are all getting different times than me i did several test runs myself and i had consistand numbers of
0-60 6.6-6.8
1/4 14.7-15.0

i have a fully loaded 2004 stock Qx56 stock contis everything no tire pressure set at 38psi hmm odd :rolleyes:
Hey SQS, here's a copy of my post to you on another thread - could you post your time slip, please? I'd like to study those numbers.

Copy of post:

Nice! Can you please post the print out they gave you? A scanned attachment would be great. I'd like to analyze the intermediate numbers. Where are you? Do you know the temperature, barometric pressure, etc. the day of your run? Those numbers are amazing for a full-sized Nissan SUV. I think that is even better than the lightest 4x2 King Cab Titan pickups are running. Way faster than the stock ones and faster than all but one modded one, to my knowledge. And you should be maybe 800 pounds heavier.

"The Head" over at TitanTalk has the fastest Titan I know of, a KC 4x2 stripped. He has a lot of mods with Volant intake, high flow aftermarket exhaust and other goodies and is even running 29 inch tires on the back. He also has nitrous injection and has put several thousand dollars into a highly modded transmission with a high stall speed torque converter and modified valve body to tighten up shifts. He also has dual electric fans in place of the stock clutch activated fan. Long list of other mods and a lot of drag racing experience.

He did get down to as low as 14.6 running without the "juice." Being within a tenth of his best time "on motor alone" tells me you are one of the lucky ones to get a truly superior motor off the assembly line. That can happen. I don't think any of the rest of us whether in Armadas or Q's can get close. Congrats. Please post the slip!

Here's the link to the posted times and mods over there on the Titans:

Correcting prior bad link:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18365
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
O yea i totally agree with you about the stock tires, Ugghh conti's :eek: they dont grip they have bad tire wear to some it umm they suck and hold the car back a lot. One day when i happened to be driving along on a twisty two laned mountain road it was about at the crack of dawn i was about the only one on the road (im taking it very nice and easy) Then i hear this irritating noise and then like bats out of hell these motorcycles pass me very fast on the straight. So being very early in the morning with no cars i give them a chase, i few corners in i can see them i keep going pushing the car little by little then im right on their a$$. Then we get to a long corner bend i put my high beams on i turn in hard (vdc off Rwd) The car wanted to stay tight, then the tires started losing grip and understeering So i give her some gas kick the ass out a bit and pass all the bikers through about 2-3 corners then we get to a long straight they come up next me give me a thumbs up and does a wheely and goes screaming past. :D :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
SEE!! look what the contis made me do, because they car is good and they suck a$$ now i have to tell a story!!! :mad:

:machinegu


DIE CONTIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
scr38 said:
This may be the link Armada is talking about:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18365
If not I'm sure he will post the correct one.
Thanks SCR38. That's the one. I copied it wrong, somehow. I've now edited and corrected it up above.

I'm beginning to think SQS may have also told us a little story about his times as well as top speed and his tires. Maybe not, but hard to believe the times, especially in 90 degree weather, but he has a chance to post those slips and straighten it all out for us.

I don't know what to think about that 130 top speed stuff either. I guess he just got a way better engine than everyone else and also got the only Endurance 5.6 ECU without a speed limiter to protect him from the bad tires. And then somehow didn't kill himself or anyone else driving 130 on them in a vehicle this large and heavy.

I'm impressed but skeptical.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
497 Posts
Super QX56 fuel

SilverQShip said:
WOW, you guys are all getting different times than me i did several test runs myself and i had consistand numbers of
0-60 6.6-6.8
1/4 14.7-15.0

i have a fully loaded 2004 stock Qx56 stock contis everything no tire pressure set at 38psi hmm odd :rolleyes:
SilverQShip,
So what gas are you using. The secret QX56 "92 octane track-fuel", Getting an extra 10 horses or are you using the Mada "87 octane cool-aid" (only 305 :( ponies)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Armada said:
Thanks SCR38. That's the one. I copied it wrong, somehow. I've now edited and corrected it up above.

I'm beginning to thing SQS may have also told us a little story about his times as well as top speed and his tires. Maybe not, but hard to believe the times, especially in 90 degree weather, but he has a chance to post those slips and straighten it all out for us.

I don't know what to think about that 130 top speed stuff either. I guess he just got a way better engine than everyone else and also got the only Endurance 5.6 ECU without a speed limiter to protect him from the bad tires. And then somehow didn't kill himself or anyone else driving 130 on them in a vehicle this large and heavy.

I'm impressed but skeptical.
Me too. I'm not saying he hasn't run those times and speeds; I have no reason to doubt him. But every other 5.6 Nissan that I know shuts the fuel injectors off at 114 MPH. As far as I know there isn't any way to get around that at this time. There are a couple of aftermarket "black boxes" out for the 5.6 engine, but they won't remove the limiter. Even if I could remove the limiter from my Armada, I don't think 275 rear wheel horsepower is going to push something this big and heavy to 130 MPH.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
:hmm:
-Rev limiter on QX is same as ours, 114.
-Fastest Titan of thousands, heavily modded weighing hundreds less, is same as his stock QX.
-Armada, Titan, and QX have identical engines, trans, rears, etc. Nothing that makes it go is different except Armada and QX have different exhauset than Titan.
-QX is heavier and therefore slower than Armada.
:hmm: :rolleyes:
I'll guess he's using inferior testing equipment to get results for acceleration but I can't figure out the 130mph though.
:hmm:
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top