Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. We just bought a 2006 Armada and did not get the tow package. I have a camper that I need to tow, so will be adding a hitch and wiring harness. I have a couple questions about the process.

I know the receiver will be no problem at all, about 6 bolts. I've seen a couple sites that seem to indicate that all Armadas have the same wiring harness. They also seem to say that all I need to do to have a 7 pin harness is pull the plug out from behind the bummper and connect it to the 7 pin adapter. Does this sound right? Does this wiring harness have a wire running to the battery to allow me to charge my trailer's battery while travelling?

Of course I'll be installing a brake controller. I have the Prodigy controller in my Jeep, so will be installing the plugs for that. I've seen mention of a connector under the dash that is for a brake controller. Is this on every Armada? Is there an adapter to go from this plug to a Prodigy?

What else is included in the factory tow package?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
If you search this site you will find that there is a OEM Nissan "kit" that has the hitch, pigtail, and relays..etc all in one package I believe. IMHO, this is the way to go. I believe all Armadas have the brake controller connector under the dash, the mating "pig tail" comes (standard) loose in the glove compartment of the big tow models. BTW there is a TSB on the under dash connector as it can be hard to find (taped up) and the wire termination instructions to the pigtail.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Also included in the Big Tow package from the factory is a transmission temp gauge and heavy duty battery. The auto level rear supension and the lower rearend ratio (3.36 vs 2.94) are standard on 06 SE Off Road and LE, but are also part of the Big Tow package on the SE.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cillyone said:
TSB on the under dash connector as it can be hard to find (taped up) and the wire termination instructions to the pigtail.
OK, what's a TSB?

Any suggestions as to a good online source for Nissan parts? I'm thinking I'm probably better off buying the hitch locally, the shipping will probably be $50.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
Check the sponser section for sources for the hitch kit.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cillyone said:
Thanks for the link.

I see that the harness has 5 wires and a Prodigy brake controller has 4 wires. The one that is missing on the controller is the "Trailer Brake Controller Illumination" wire. I assume that this is to light up the brake controller itself. I guess I'd need to leave that one not connected to anything.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another though came to mind. Since I didn't get the tow package, I don't have the transmission temp guage. I'm curious if the wiring, sending unit and anything else required for the guage is already in place. WOuld I just have to install the guage or would there be other parts that need installed?

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
fritz_monroe said:
Another though came to mind. Since I didn't get the tow package, I don't have the transmission temp guage. I'm curious if the wiring, sending unit and anything else required for the guage is already in place. WOuld I just have to install the guage or would there be other parts that need installed?
I don't know about the gauge stuff, I would not worry about having it though, it won't help your towing capacity any.
And yes, you do not need the 5th wire, just shrink it and fold it back.
The nice thing about the Nissan OEM hitch stuff is it comes all (parts) together and you will get the nice plug receptacle on the hitch.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
fritz_monroe said:
Sorry, its not that simple. The temp signal is sent from the transmission computer to the BCM via the CAN. There is no conventional sending unit, with a wire going to a gauge. All the signals for the instrument cluster are sent from the BCM.
If you go to ClubTitan and do a search there you will find some threads about installing a transmission temp gauge on vehicles that don't have the factory gauge.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
fritz_monroe said:
Thanks for the link.

I see that the harness has 5 wires and a Prodigy brake controller has 4 wires. The one that is missing on the controller is the "Trailer Brake Controller Illumination" wire. I assume that this is to light up the brake controller itself. I guess I'd need to leave that one not connected to anything.
You are correct.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks folks, after posting here, I did some additional searching and found the Titan group. I found a post of someone putting in a temp gauge. I looked up the parts, and I think this is beyond something I want to do. I know it won't help my tow capacity, but it would be nice to know ahead of time if I'm breaking down the fluids. I'm hoping to keep this vehicle for a long time.

As for the hitch and brake controller, I spent a couple minutes crawling around under the Armada and digging around under the dash. It's a nice set up. After finding all the plugs, I'd be a fool to have someone install a hitch for me. I like the looks of the Nissan hitch, so I'll pay the extra couple bucks for the OEM hitch.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
fritz_monroe said:
Thanks for the link.

I spent $16 for a custom harness specific for the Prodigy and the Nissan. Tru plug and play. Saved having to solder the wires together, secure the 5th wire, etc. I know, lazy, but it just seemed neater this way.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Campfamily said:
I spent $16 for a custom harness specific for the Prodigy and the Nissan. Tru plug and play. Saved having to solder the wires together, secure the 5th wire, etc. I know, lazy, but it just seemed neater this way.
Not lazy at all. I ordered that last night. I also got another pocket mount so I don't have to take the mount out of the Jeep. I don't have an issue with soldering the wires, but anytime you do something like that, there's always the possibility of making a mistake. Can't have that when you are talking about your family's safety.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.