Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add a borescope to my tool collection.
I had a cheesy one some time back that had a limp cable. Worked OK, but a semi-rigid cable would be much better.
Dropped a socket down into the engine abyss the other day. Borescope would have made it so much easier to find.

If you found a good one, I'd appreciate a link.
Maybe something similar to this, but I would prefer a first hand account on quality from anyone that may have found a good one.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I am really happy with this one:

Gets into spark plug bores, exhaust port bores and behind walls with ease. The cable is a good combination of firm yet pliable and connecting it to the phone is rock solid.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am really happy with this one:

Gets into spark plug bores, exhaust port bores and behind walls with ease. The cable is a good combination of firm yet pliable and connecting it to the phone is rock solid.
Thank you for that!

That particular one is a 1MP for the picture you can take. They have another model that has a 5MP picture, but the trade off is that camera body diameter is 8.5cm vs 5.5cm for the 1MP version.

But I suppose 1MP would really suffice for automotive use. It's not like I am taking beauty photos to post on IG. :)
I Like that it is Wi-Fi too.
I'll give it a go. Are you using the Depstech software on your Android or a third party viewer?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I use the Depstech Software.
Don't worry too much about megapixels. Most of the TV we watch is 1920X1080 (usually known as High Definition) which is only 2 megapixels. And even when you watch UHD TV (what some people call 4K) it is only about 8 megapixels.
The thing is, with these tiny inexpensive camera sensors, usually filming in dark spaces, lit with a cheap IR LED, you usually end up a grainy image from all the sensor noise. And that grain ends up being larger than the pixels so more pixels don't really make much difference in this application.

If they made a camera with a clean image (less sensor noise, better lens, higher bitrate, more efficient codec, more pixels etc. etc.) it would cost more than most of us would spend on it 😁

Here are some examples from my borescope. AKA why you should inspect and replace your boat exhaust often!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great explanation. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts