Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any1 get a big brake/caliper/rotor replacement yet????

I was watching an episode of Pimp My Ride and they had installed some new pads/calipers/cross drilled rotors on a beat up truck for this chick. Has anyone done that yet to their mada. I mean a majority of people on here have twomps or duecies, and even larger. It kinda make the factory kit look young. What are the isadvantages if any other than factory warranty issues. I've seen tons on ebay but dont knonw the quality. TIA

·
Banned
1,215 Posts
bootyologist24 said:
I was watching an episode of Pimp My Ride and they had installed some new pads/calipers/cross drilled rotors on a beat up truck for this chick. Has anyone done that yet to their mada. I mean a majority of people on here have twomps or duecies, and even larger. It kinda make the factory kit look young. What are the isadvantages if any other than factory warranty issues. I've seen tons on ebay but dont knonw the quality. TIA
We do sell them, but if you want a great upgrade for a good price, we are doing aftermarket rotors, which are better than stock and are CROSS DRILLED, for $109 each. They look great, but also give better brake performance.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason B said:
We do sell them, but if you want a great upgrade for a good price, we are doing aftermarket rotors, which are better than stock and are CROSS DRILLED, for $109 each. They look great, but also give better brake performance.
I have to get the whole package though right. I mean rotor, calipers and pads. Or would i just the need the rotors to go along with the factory pads and calipers. I assume you got em listed on your site?

·
Banned
1,215 Posts
bootyologist24 said:
I have to get the whole package though right. I mean rotor, calipers and pads. Or would i just the need the rotors to go along with the factory pads and calipers. I assume you got em listed on your site?
No, you can just get the cross dilled rotors. You can use them with factory pads, but it will cut down on the stock pad life of course. We do have other pads, which I can go into more if you want new pads? Let me know.

They aren't listed on the site, it's a new item that I'm doing a special deal on for those interested. If you are interested, email me from my sig and I will continue to offer this great deal.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
bootyologist24 said:
Advantages of bigger brake setup
Faster stopping. Larger rotors will dissipate heat faster. Rotors are heat sinks. More mass, more heat dissipation. Thicker is better as is larger diameter.
Cross drilled is supposed to add places for gas that builds up to go when pads are rubbing. It is also supposed to add in cooling. However under extreme stress, they can crack. No manufacturer of cross drilled rotors, not even Baer will warranty them against cracking. They also will eat up pads quicker. Most times they are used for shows and everyday driving.
Slotted rotors are supposed to do the same as drilled with the gas. They aren't prone to cracking like the drilled. They don't look as pleasing though. This is what race guys use. They also eat up pads more.
Larger rotors and pads will more than outperform smaller pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Increasing diameter, and thickness of the rotors is what you want. Also, increasing the amount of pad contacting the rotors will help with braking until the rotors reach max heat dispersion and start locking up. Calipers like Alcon have more pistons allowing for larger pads and more even pressure on the pads. EX. My Corvette came with 2-38mm piston calipers and 12" rotors 1.1" thick. The Z06 corvette came with 2 40mm piston calipers with 13" rotors 1.25" thick. Signifigant improvement in braking. Alcon and Baer brakes go up to 6-8 pistons, some exotic ones have seperate pads for each piston.

Front accounts for 80%+ of braking so a front setup is really all you nead.
The last thing to think about is pads. The stock ones are junk. You can buy many quality pads out there that have much lower dusting and better stopping power. There are different types of pads too. Regular duty is for street use. HD is for Autocrossing, and race for racing. As you increase in what the pad is meant for, you need to heat up the pads more to get them to work. Higher rated pads will stop better and won't be prone to fading, but won't work well for the first bunch of stops, and would stink for street use.
I would recommend EBC Green, Hawk, and Raybestos as good pad makers. I don't know if they have products for our rigs but they are the best out there I've found for my vette and Infiniti. Hope this helps.

PS. I looked up and EBC makes pads for us, Hawk doesn't. Rabestos makes rotors for us and there are some on tirerack. Also Stillen has a big brake kit that a titan guy loves.

You make the call. Jason can probably hook you up any way you go. ;)
http://www.brakesrus.com/products.asp?cat=2568
The idea hear is to get a good balance between rotors, pads, and calipers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts