Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to get the aftermarket sat receiver for my '05. I ruled out the portable unit. The range of dealer parts/installation is $500-850 (ripoff) & I don't want to go to the $500 dealer (long story).

So I plan to buy it & have it installed by a mechanic buddy. I looked but didn't see any specific answers to these questions:

What brand should I buy? Factory Nissan? Clarion? Pioneer? etc?

Where should I buy it? Nissan? Sirius? Crutchfield? Circuit City?

Which antenna?

I'm wondering if it matters when it comes to the brand of components or if I should get Nissan parts. I just want to make sure its as good or better than factory & that it works with the factory system.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Sirius Satelite Radio

Hey Jay - i am glad you asked this questions and I hope there is some response. I plan on putting Sirius in my Titan and I have the same questions. My gut feeling is that anything is going to be better that factory at the very least less expensive. I think Nissan will use the same brands that are on the market but private labled for them then they jack up the prices.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I'm sure you can get a better price than factory and it should function just the same. I don't have SAT so I'll let someone with experience fill you in.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I got the Audiovox PNP2 for my Maxima which has worked fairly well. They have a newer model that's much smaller. Costs about $150 with a car and the home docking station. It's nice to have the home station so you can just pop out the tuner and bring it in the house so you get Sirius there too.
I got mine at Best Buy online. It came with an antenna. Again I think the new antennas are smaller (did I mention my setup is only a year old?).
It'll play with any receiver since it broadcasts on one of several FM bands. That's one downside, I've traveled to places where there is an actual FM station on that band and then had to flip the switch to another broadcast band. It would be nice to have it built in so there would be no interferance. But for the price Nissan wants, I'd be willing to put up with it! Come to think of it, my new Armada has an aux input. The Audiovox car docking station has an output that should be able to plug right into it. I'll have to see how that works. Maybe someone else has tried it?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Here's my $.02 which isn't much but hope it helps.....

I too was looking to get into the satellite hype back in November. I looked at aftermarket units and saw some installs. There are some really nice installs like one I saw where they put it in the sunglass holder above th headliner. I forgot what model it was but it fit nicely in there and when they were done listening, you could simply close the sunglass holder and it was gone. I liked that idea because it's un-obtrusive to the eye. IMO I don't like gadgets sticking out all over the dash area and wires hanging out. It's good if you want to be able to use it in different vehicles. I'm talking about the plug and play types. The majority of them play through FM. I've heard both hardwired and FM modulated ones and I feel the sound is far better when it's hardwired. It sounds more dynamic and crystal clear. I think it sounds better than my CD's to be honest. The aftermarket FM modulated ones didn't sound as clear and can hear a little hiss from my listening test before I bought. You may get interference too but I didn't experience any because it was in an audio store where your not moving. Sooooo...I asked myself, and my decision was based on my concerns as to, "I don't like clutter in the cab" and "I like the sound of a hardwired tuner". With that, I chose to go factory OEM. I bought the whole package for about $450 and I installed it myself. I was reluctant at first but I found the installation procedures online. It took me 2.5 hours but I took my time. Now that I know how to do it, I think I can get it done in an hour and a half tops. I have the BOSE system without navigation. Once I hooked up the tuner, the "Sat" selection became available on the Bose headunit when I pressed the radio button a few times to cycle through FM,AM, then SAT. Before I installed it, "SAT" never showed up. My Armada was pre-wired for satellite. Everytime you press the tuner button while listening, you can see the artist and the song name. I hope this helps you decide.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I think i'm gonna skip over the whole satellite radio thing and go directly to Direct TV in my Armada. Since I'm going to get the DVD player and that switch to play the DVD player on the front nav screen, i figured might as well just get direct TV and then I can play the 50 or 100 channels of music right on there as well as watch all the direct TV I have at my house.

-mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts