Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been giving some thought into changing up the street look with 20's and hyway tires, to more of an off-road look with some decent looking AT tires on say an 18" off-road looking rim.

Say something like this.

With a tire like this 305/60/18. It's about 0.4" shorter then the 33s that come std on SL/platinum 20's. But it is also little wider. This Nitto brand seen here is the only one I have found in this size in a regular p-metric 4 ply, to keep the really smooth ride it has stock.

I just did something similar with my Land Cruiser last week, and thought it turned out pretty well, and it's got me thinking I might like to go for a similar look on the Armada at some point.

Anyone else looking into making changes or upgrades like this?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I probably will, but I feel guilty before I wear our the tires any...

What is the stock offset on the Armada rims? Someone said they were off an older SL Armada, so that would make them like the Titan? -25mm?

I was going to take one of the rims off of my Titan (20x9 Ballistic Jesters with 305/55/20 Terra Grapplers) and see how they fit - if they rub when turning etc.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
This is what I found on the HH website for the EOM wheels spec.

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/561/nissan_armada_wheels_rims.html

Product Specifications:
Product ID: ALY62705U30
Product: Wheel/Rim
Material: Aluminum
Style: 6 Spoke
Finish: Grey Machined
Size: 20x8
Lugs: 6
Bolt Pattern: 5.5 Inch
Offset: 23mm
The Fuel Trophy that I thinking about that I also used on my Cruiser, is 18x9 uses a 20mm offset. The added width should push the out edge of the wheel out 0.5 inches.

As far as wasting the new tires that came on it. I guess I am lucky that in my area we have a few tire shops that will pay decent money for like new/used tires (take offs) plus with the Armada now running a 20" tire size that happen to match up perfectly with the high volume mass production RAM pickups it an easy deal to make.

I swapped out the OEM Armada tires for some different tires once already, I think it cost me around 200-300 bucks to make the trade. The tires I went with cost more then what came on it so part of that was the difference in the tires had they both been brand new. So I am not too worried about getting use out of what is on it, someone will eventually.

It has been an exhausting search and research project trying to find a 33" tire for an 18" rim that is 1 not a E rated 10 ply, because I don't want the harsh ride of 10 ply and two one that has good looking all terrain tread design and a good width about it. That Nitto tire picture above is all I have been able to come up with, and I do like it, just that a P305/60/18 comes out about 1/2 in under 33. It is only a 32.4 tire. Close and likely what I will be going with unless anyone knows of a better option.

The math calculation that works best is a P295/65/18 but that size does not seem to exist at least not in a P-metric 4 ply and not in a moderate tread AT, everything I see in that size is a very aggressive heavy 10 ply load range E, that I know would ride rough, and make a lot of road noise. So the compromise size is that 4 ply Nitto in the 305/60/18 that is about a 1/2 inch wider then I would really like and a 1/2" shorter then I would really like.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I'm kind of looking for a black spoked wheel, I actually like what the QX80(56) come with. Thinking about even getting a 22" rim even though that's impractical for actual off roading... just kinda like the look. Might just put some aggressive tires on my stock Titan rims...

Not sure my other half is going to let me really off road the Armada until I buy her something else later on...

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I hear great things about those Nitto Off-road tires and good things about the Toyo's too. I've only used Bridgestone Revo's and BFG AT's, so I'd like to hear your feedback on which tire you go with for your Armada.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's pretty much going to have to be the Nitto for the Armada at least that is what my research is telling me.

I have the open country AT2 on my Cruiser and because they offered the OEM size 285/60/18 in a regular 4 ply p-metric load range. I like the Open country's so far.

I also like Bridgestone and BFG, but they don't have anything close to a 33" tire with a decent width in regular 4ply P-metric. They both have some sizes I like but it jumps up into a 10ply load range E which is going to really ride stiff, play havoc with the TPMS system and the pressures the load range E call for, not to mention the weight of 10 ply tire tends to really hurt fuel mileage. So far to stay in the 4 ply arena and get good looking tire with the width and at least close to 33 tall coming in at 32.4" tall, the Nitto is all I am finding. I guess these Armada's are so new that there is not much aftermarket activity happening yet.

I have not even been able to find a picture of one with anything other then factory tires and wheels on it. I have found a few pic's of QX80s with custom 22s. that sort of thing, but nothing with an off road look to it.

There is a Nissan rim and tire pkg on some mid-east Patrol's that is setup for off road. Those look pretty good.

I have always really like to research these things, by looking at pic's of what others have done to get ideas of what I like, what I don't like, what works well, what clears without rubbing issues etc. So far it looks like on this deal I going to have to take leap of faith that what ever I go with will work. I am just not finding much info out there.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
That's a good point about the Load rating and weight, especially if you're doing more highway driving then mpg is impoertant. However do you pull any trailers or load a lot into your Armada? Then the heavier tires will last you longer if you do pull a trailer.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good point about the Load rating and weight, especially if you're doing more highway driving then mpg is impoertant. However do you pull any trailers or load a lot into your Armada? Then the heavier tires will last you longer if you do pull a trailer.
A 10ply does help with stability due to the higher PSI and stiffer sidewalks. But just adding 10ply tires would not change the MFG max tow rating, so if you were ever pulling something over the MFG tow rating and got into an accident you could have some added liability legal issues.

For me if I am towing anything remotely heavy of close to the Armda's tow rating I have one of these for all my towing needs.

I do have a hitch and all the stuff needed in storage compartment in the back of the Armada should I need to tow something with it. But I doubt I ever tow more then 6k with it and I doubt it's very often that I tow with the Armada at all.

The Armda rides increadably smooth, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. I definantly don't want loose that luxury car ride.

With them 10 ply load range E the recommended air presure is much higher then the 4ply tire that comes on the Armada , so with The TPMS system unless the dealer can recalibrate it for a 10 ply tire, you would likely trip a warning light in dash thinking your tires are over inflated . So this alone could make running a !0 ply tricky unless your ok with ignoring the TPMS warning lights or running a 10 ply well under its recommended minimum pressure, which I believe most are around 50psi min and max 80 psi.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i put BFG AT KO2 on my patrol Y62. 285/65/R18 , same OD as our stock tyre.
View attachment 39177
View attachment 39185

many have gone to 35" tyres and black rims, with some going to 20"rims and 305's
Thanks for the pic's.

The 285/65/18 is a good alternate size, I like width and could live with 32.5 height vs the factory 33" tires. But that's another one of those sizes where every tire I had found in that size was a 10 ply.

Now the 305/55/20 is something I just started looking into last night. I think there are some of those on the market in a 4 ply tire. Nitto G2 same as what I was looking at in an 18" but in this size. In the 305/55/20 the height goes to 33.2 and you gain 1.2" in width. This tire going on my Oem wheels is on my short list. Still researching 20" rims styles with a 20mm-35mm offset 8" -9" wide.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Thanks for the pic's.

The 285/65/18 is a good alternate size, I like width and could live with 32.5 height vs the factory 33" tires. But that's another one of those sizes where every tire I had found in that size was a 10 ply.

Now the 305/55/20 is something I just started looking into last night. I think there are some of those on the market in a 4 ply tire. Nitto G2 same as what I was looking at in an 18" but in this size. In the 305/55/20 the height goes to 33.2 and you gain 1.2" in width. This tire going on my Oem wheels is on my short list. Still researching 20" rims styles with a 20mm-35mm offset 8" -9" wide.
CC,

I have this exact tire on 20 x 9 (0mm offset) rims, on my Titan. Sometime soon I'm going to try one out on the Armada and see if it rubs turning... unfortunately I live in a townhouse complex, so it might take me a few weeks to get this done.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CC,

I have this exact tire on 20 x 9 (0mm offset) rims, on my Titan. Sometime soon I'm going to try one out on the Armada and see if it rubs turning... unfortunately I live in a townhouse complex, so it might take me a few weeks to get this done.
Cool ! I'd be very interested in what you find out.
What do you think about those Nitto tires ? Quiet ? Smooth?

Looking at my Armada and taking some measurements. I can only come out 3/4 of an inch before going out side the edge of the fender. With 0 offset on a 9" rim would be out an an inch past the fender without the tire.
That's my issue with the Fuel Trophy That I was thinking about trying. It's a 20mm offset but the 9" rim is going to add 1/2 inch and I think the 305 tire us going to add 0.5-0.7. Added together 1.2" prox would put me outside my fenders 1/2 inch. I definiatly want to keep everything within the fenders.

I think you will end up 1.5-1.7 inches total outside the fenders. That with a slightly taller tire. I am thinking there is not much hope that it is not going to rub.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well after a lot more research , it seems running the 305/55/20 on the 8" stock rim is not recommended, all 305s show minimum rim width required is 8.5" . So I started looking again at the 285 tires and again everything came up load range E 10ply.

So I went back trying to find a 285/65/18 to use on the Trophy rims I posted at the start. Dropping from 305 down to the 285 with the mindset that it might be the only way that the trophy 18x9 20mm offset rim would work and have any chance that the tire would remain under the fenders. Which is a priority requirement for me, just never cared much for having my tires hanging out past my fenders.
There is only 1 tire in that 285/65/18 that's not load range E , however it's still an 8 ply load range D good tire though it's the Yokahoma ATs which I had many sets of on business trucks in 10 ply, and had them on my Land Cruisers in a 4ply. It's spec is 11.1 section. These should basically be hanging out only by a the bulge in the tire on the trophy 18x9 rim.

The best tire option I could come up with for the OEM wheels is the P275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ 4ply which also has an 11.1 section. It has a tread design that just looks wider and a spec that indicates it is slightly wider then any other 275/60/20 on the market. I ordered a set of these. It keeps me in a 4 ply it had the same section width as the 285 Yokohama. Going to give these a try. They are getting installed Saturday.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Well after a lot more research , it seems running the 305/55/20 on the 8" stock rim is not recommended, all 305s show minimum rim width required is 8.5" . So I started looking again at the 285 tires and again everything came up load range E 10ply.

So I went back trying to find a 285/65/18 to use on the Trophy rims I posted at the start. Dropping from 305 down to the 285 with the mindset that it might be the only way that the trophy 18x9 20mm offset rim would work and have any chance that the tire would remain under the fenders. Which is a priority requirement for me, just never cared much for having my tires hanging out past my fenders.
There is only 1 tire in that 285/65/18 that's not load range E , however it's still an 8 ply load range D good tire though it's the Yokahoma ATs which I had many sets of on business trucks in 10 ply, and had them on my Land Cruisers in a 4ply. It's spec is 11.1 section. These should basically be hanging out only by a the bulge in the tire on the trophy 18x9 rim.

The best tire option I could come up with for the OEM wheels is the P275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ 4ply which also has an 11.1 section. It has a tread design that just looks wider and a spec that indicates it is slightly wider then any other 275/60/20 on the market. I ordered a set of these. It keeps me in a 4 ply it had the same section width as the 285 Yokohama. Going to give these a try. They are getting installed Saturday.

Can't wait to see how they look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got them installed yesterday. Ride quality has remained excellent, still very smooth, these tires are very quiet considering they have a much more aggressive tread design over the highway tires. Not to say there is not any increase in road noise, just that it is a very very minor increase. I think they look a lot better, and no doubt will perform extremely well in adverse weather conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
That looks great. I like the way your Armada looks.

Glad to know you do not have increase in road noise. Those tires should serve you very well for sure. Now you can tackle all terrain with more piece of mind. If you ever get that Armada off the beaten tracks, would love to see pictures of it in the wild.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That looks great. I like the way your Armada looks.

Glad to know you do not have increase in road noise. Those tires should serve you very well for sure. Now you can tackle all terrain with more piece of mind. If you ever get that Armada off the beaten tracks, would love to see pictures of it in the wild.
There was some increase in road noise, but it was a very very minor change. It's barly noticeable, over time that might change, as these tires wear down. Time will tell.

I admit it was mainly done for looks, but should have a functional benefit in bad weather. They should be night and day better in snow vs the stock tires. As far as off road goes, other then the occasional dirt road or grass pasture, my trucks. and SUVs never really see any real off road use. I love going off road , so we have some ATVs and UTVs that we like to take off road, sand dunes, mountain jeep trails etc.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts