Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to paint my calipers red this weekend. I bought a fairly inexpensive brush on kit. Has anyone else tried this? I waited until I got my brake fix done to minimize any problems. I bought the brush style because I did not want to have to pull everything apart or mask off for spray paint. I have seen many examples on sports cars and such. I like the look but the caliper on the 'mada seems pretty small. Any advice on the process would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Bob,

I did it on my wifes Mazda 6 sedan when I put on some 19's and I love it. The brush is easy to use.

Coming soon.....I had a set of calipers powder coated silver to match...just have to wait to put them on ....

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some pics of work and after:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got mine at Walmart for like 14 or 15 dollars. They had four different colors. Red, Yellow, Blue and Silver. The whole job was a piece of cake. The toughest part was jacking up the rig and putting 4 stands to hold it all up. I put like 4 or 5 coats of paint on the four calipers within the prescribed 1 hr limit. I could always put more on after 7 days. I used very little paint. I bet you could do 5 cars or more with one kit. The paint dried to a very smooth finish in 20 minutes so I could put the wheels back on. I just switched back to my Summer tires so this was perfect time. I probably should of spent more time cleaning and prepping but my calipers did not appear that dirty. I bet if I wait a week and put another coat they will be perfect. The average person will not notice any imperfections. I am sure a spray paint would do a nicer job but this was a heck of a lot easier and I don't see any brush strokes. Give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did it cuz I thought it would look better than the dingy factory calipers. I have received a few snickers from people asking "did you paint your calipers?" But I think some people are jealous and others think any mods are silly. Even though the caliper paint is super slick, there is some dirt that accumulates over time. When washing the chrome I squeeze my sponge between the wheel spokes and give them a quick wipe. I think they look better.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
BostonBob said:
I did it cuz I thought it would look better than the dingy factory calipers. I have received a few snickers from people asking "did you paint your calipers?" But I think some people are jealous and others think any mods are silly. Even though the caliper paint is super slick, there is some dirt that accumulates over time. When washing the chrome I squeeze my sponge between the wheel spokes and give them a quick wipe. I think they look better.
I like it, and it looks sharp, I have seen some Porches with same color calipers.:cool:

·
Banned
1,215 Posts
I'm going to put my full install write-up for anyone that wants to try this on their Armada, or any other vehicle.

G2 Painted Calipers

This Project took me about 3 days total. This mod is not difficult, but is a little time consuming and tedious if you want to ensure a quality job.

Some have chosen to grind down the casting marks on their calipers before the G2 system and others have not. It looks good either way and is a personal preference. It all depends on how much time you want to spend. If you want your calipers to look smoother like a profressional powder coat job, then you should grind. Grinding will give you that "Porsche" smooth factory caliper look.

The materials used are as follows:

- G2 caliper paint kit. Red = $31.00 on sale (www.decalgirl.com)
- Bright silver metallic "S2000" logos = $11.99 (www.decalgirl.com)
- 2 3/4' wide Artist brushes = $2.99 each (Ben Franklin crafts store)
- 1 small pointed Artist brush (for more detailed/hard to reach areas) = $2.99 (Ben Franklin crafts store)
- 2 Hefty Trash Bags = .05 Cents (Walmart)
- 1 Dremel #953 Alum. Ox. Grinding Stone = $3.95 (Home Depot)
- 1 Dremel #932 Alum. Ox. Grinding Stone = $3.95 (Home Depot)
- 1 BrakeKleen Brake Cleaner = $0.00 (Included in G2 caliper paint kit)
- 5ft. standard Masking Tape from your basement = Free

Tools used/optional

- Die grinder with wheel. This is a fast and easy way to remove those casting marks in SECONDS! You need to be very careful if you use this tool because if you press too hard, you ding the metal. If you don't have one of these, then the Dreme grinding stones will do the same job, but will take longer. (borrowed from neighbor).
- Generic dremel tool. = $9.99 with 60 attachements. (Harbor Freight)

PICTURES!PICTURES!PICTURES!PICTURES!PICTURES!

First, get your car up on jackstands. For best way to get your car up on jackstands, read the 2nd post here

Picture of my front caliper FULLY grinded down in all visible areas and smooth as glass. (5+ hours total for all four calipers over two days.

I put about 6 coats of G2 on the fronts and 4 on the rear. Instead of mixing the full amount of paint and reactor in one shot, I took 4 parts of paint using a plastic spoon, and 1 part reactor on a spoon into a small can. This small amount let me do 1 coat on all 4 calipers. I then, repeated the above until I got mutiple coats. I probably have enough left over to do one more coat on all the calipers. I'll save it for touch up down the road. If you mix it all at once like the instructions say, you will only have about 3 hours working time before the paint is hard and unusable.

Picture before logos:

Picture after front logos:

I did not put logos on the rear. To my eye, it didn't really look as balanced and I only favor them on the front - they look like they are made to go there....

Some full shots:

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Amazing job on those calipers! Nice S2000 btw ;)

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
spta97 said:
I breifly looked at the calipers on my 07 and they seem to be painted silver. Is this my imagination?

My 07 also has silver calipers which is the way it came.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.