Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has been successful in having their Armada replaced or bought back from Nissan? So far they "fixed" the brake judder twice, once in March then in May of this year ubt it happened again today, if anyone could offer any advise or help I'd apprecate.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
ImperialShadow said:
Just wondering if anyone has been successful in having their Armada replaced or bought back from Nissan? So far they "fixed" the brake judder twice, once in March then in May of this year ubt it happened again today, if anyone could offer any advise or help I'd apprecate.
Do a search. If its just brakes relax. They found out that they had badly designed brake parts. The pads had excessive dust and the rotors warped. The parts were redesigned, tested, and put into production. New ones hit the new SUVs in May '05. Dealers are just getting them now. Since the production is maxed but hasn't caught up to demand yet, they have been instructed to turn the rotors up to 3 times before replacing, buying Nissan some time to get enough parts produced. They also have extended the warranty to 36 months and I think unlimited miles to cover the fix. Your dealer should have told you about this. I'd call up another dealer, explain the situation, and get the new set of rotors and pads put on and enjoy the ride instead of loosing big bucks with a lemon claim. ;)

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know about how they extended the warranty for the brakes to 36 months/unlimited miliage, I'll do a few more searches here. Besides I had already called Nissan consumer affairs, but I didn't get a chance to return their call since I got my wisdom teeth removed today, so I'll see what they have to say tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
ImperialShadow said:
I know about how they extended the warranty for the brakes to 36 months/unlimited miliage, I'll do a few more searches here. Besides I had already called Nissan consumer affairs, but I didn't get a chance to return their call since I got my wisdom teeth removed today, so I'll see what they have to say tomorrow.
Only reasons I'd recommend the repair instead of Lemon is:
-It works
-Its different from what you have tried so far
-Its free
-Lemon often costs you major bucks
-You won't find anything better. We have the highest initial quality rating of all Full size SUVs including the TOYota.

I'd check into the cost involved. Its different in every state and can cost you thousands. It isn't just turn in the key and walk away. ;)

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I Agree

We have great SUVs. Nissan will fix your problem if your dealer won't. Just call 'em. It is wise to punch your state's lemon law ticke first. Gives you more bargaining power. Go for the permanent break fix and a free 100k warranty. Be patient as they have a backlog.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
The problem is what else would you be happy with after the Armada?
I spoke to Nissan Consumer Affairs today regarding my A/C and they are actually helpful. They make it clear that they are Nissan Corp and not a Nissan Dealership.
They have helped me get some things fixed that the dealerships ignore me on.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
"We have the highest initial quality rating of all Full size SUVs including the TOYota"

Wow, thats great, I havent heard that before. 92, where did you get that info from?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
dmarmada04le said:
"We have the highest initial quality rating of all Full size SUVs including the TOYota"

Wow, thats great, I havent heard that before. 92, where did you get that info from?
JD Powers. If you go www.edmunds.com and look at all the quality measures, all 6 categories, you will see we have the highest overall. They have an average called "overall", but it is only an average of 3 of the categories.
Since they don't have the complete 2005 ratings yet, I went on 2004. Its a first year truck and most of the problems were fixed for '05 and '06. To be fair, I compared other first year trucks and recent trucks.

2004 Armada
Mechanical quality(Low from brake issues) =3
Body and interior quality(low from squeeks and rattles)=2
Feature and accessory quality (Bad from faulty switches)=2
Performance=5
Comfort=5
Style=5
=22 points of 30.

2004 Yukon
Mechanical quality=5 (same parts/problems as 2001 :confused: )
Body and interior quality=3
Feature and accessory quality =4
Performance=4
Comfort=3
Style=3
=22 points of 30.

2001 Yukon (2000 N/A)
Mechanical quality=3
Feature and accessory quality =2
Performance=3
Comfort=3
Style=3
=17 points of 30.

2004 Sequoia
Mechanical quality =4
Body and interior quality=4
Performance=5 (not sure about this one)
Comfort=4
Style=3
=24 points of 30.

2001 Sequoia
Mechanical quality =3
Performance=3
Comfort=3
Style=4
=20 points of 30.

2004 Expedition
Mechanical quality =3
Body and interior quality=2
Feature and accessory quality =3
Performance=3
Comfort=3
Style=3
=17 points of 30.

2000 Expedtion
Mechanical quality =4
Body and interior quality=4
Feature and accessory quality =3
Performance=3
Comfort=3
Style=3
=20 points of 30.

In conclusion, if you compare first year vehicles, we win hands down. If you go to the highest rated, the 2004 Sequoia, it got a 5 in performance, dubious as it is second slowest of all full size SUV and least powerful, Armada would win. Make their performance score a 3, its a tie. Include the fixes from 2005/6 and we should blow them out. No more rattles, switch problems, and brake fix is done. Armada ratings should go up.

Now go to a second source, Strategic Vision Inc. They ranked Nissan highest in consumer satisfaction and said 'the Nissan Armada was the top large SUV' for consumer satisfaction.
http://www.strategiy.com/inews.asp?id=20050720140302

So think twice before you jump. The grass isn't necessarily greener. ;)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
JD Power

I think it is a little bit of wishful thinking to say that if not for the brake issues, the Armada would blow the rest of them out of the water. That is kind of like saying if not for those pesky blowouts, Firestone would be the best tire on the market. If you were ask me to choose between which is a problem I can live with, I would have to say that I would choose slower and less powerful ( Sequioa) over not sure if it is going to stop. Don't get me wrong, if not for the brake issue, I would be a HUGE fan of the Aramada, but the persistence of the problem, and a "head in the sand" approach to the problem from Nissan and the dealer, I'm not sure it is worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
greenarmada,
If the brake issue really were as serious as many are making it out to be, I'd agree with you. However, the reality is that there are a bunch of people who have exagerated the issue to try to get the permanent fixes without going through the 3 rotor turns first. Which does suck.
But, when the brake jutter comes on, it gets progressively worse and even at its worse, it's not going to make anyone drive of the road or do any other supernatural stuff. I'm calling all the B.S. out there.
And Nissan has NOT had their "head in the sand". The identified it, they redesigned it, and are now in the process of retro fitting.
It's the dealerships that were giving many the runaround.

Anyway, the Firestone case is day and night compared to the brake jutter.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
greenarmada said:
I think it is a little bit of wishful thinking to say that if not for the brake issues, the Armada would blow the rest of them out of the water. That is kind of like saying if not for those pesky blowouts, Firestone would be the best tire on the market. If you were ask me to choose between which is a problem I can live with, I would have to say that I would choose slower and less powerful ( Sequioa) over not sure if it is going to stop. Don't get me wrong, if not for the brake issue, I would be a HUGE fan of the Aramada, but the persistence of the problem, and a "head in the sand" approach to the problem from Nissan and the dealer, I'm not sure it is worth the hassle.
Its brake judder, not failure. There is no danger, no one said there was, and no one has been in danger. Brake judder gives you a fluttering brake pedal. MANY cars have this, probably 5-10% of all cars on the road at any time. I don't see them careening off the road all the time. Not one documented case of anyone even having a fenderbender from this either. Sorry, but it is a small issue that Nissan is in the process of resolving.

If you experience the judder, bring it to a dealer. If they have new parts, they will replace them. If they don't, they will turn the rotors. This is done all day by brake guys. Once the rotors are turned, they will have no judder and be as good as new. They may or may not deteriorate again. If they do, repeat the above process. Nissan is doing this up to 3 times because the new part supply is strained to meet demand. Titans, Armadas and QX56 are selling like crazy, above expectations. New parts are priority to new vehicles, then excess comes to us. Once the repair is completed, the problem is over, so as people get the new parts, there are less and less people needing them. Within a couple months, this should be a dead issue.

If you want a true problem, look at faulty fuel systems on Fords that have engine fires, blowing head gaskets on GM that do the same.
Here's a link of people griping about the Sequoia.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eec8948

Cracked exhaust manifold, 12 miles on OD and pulls to left, how's this one:

I am surprised that edmunds.com and consumerreports.org still ranks this as the best large SUV with all its problems. With all the problems I'm reading here, this oughtta be classified as a lemon. Am missing something here?

The first day I drove out of the dealership I found out the alignment problem, took it back the very next day and they said its fixed and its still a problem. Now I am feeling the vibration under my feet problem, it has only 600 miles on it. Whats next, the tires fall out? hmmm I wont be surprised. I am getting disappointed with this piece of junk that every review board thinks so highly of.

I was debating between the Sequoia and a GM vehicle, because of all the reviews I read I decided on the so called highly recommended SUV. Well, Im not very pleased with it right now. Im thinking of just trading it in for a Tahoe or an Armada. Wasted my money on this lemon!!!

Here's another good one:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ee95169!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3A.ee95169%20tsb%20brakes&count=20

4 pages of people complaining about brake problems on Sequoia. Took Toyota 3 years to issue a TSB and start repairing them. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but nothing is perfect. ;)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Andy,
I agree 100%. I have friends who have "1/2 ton vehicles from Ford, Chevy and Dodge and they all have had issues with front brake rotors warping prematurely. Dodge 1500 and Ford F150's both seem to be plagued with this issue for years and have never done anything except turn the rotors through the warranty period and then leave the consumer to fend for themself claiming "normal wear and tear."

Now, I will say that I was extremely disappointed the first time I felt the front end of the Armada jutter when I applied the brake....Then I was pissed about it when it came back the second time! But after talking to an informed service advisor, I am pleased to see that Nissan is actually doing something about it. Even with 22's on it, I have never felt like the brakes wouldn't stop me.

I can't wait to see how much better the new ones will be once installed!

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
The problem is real, not our imagination

I'm sorry, but I really don't consider it exagerating a problem when I have had 3 sets of warped rotors in less than 14000 miles and it is obvious I am not alone. I have better things to do than take my Armada in every 2 or 3 months to have the brakes fixed. Maybe my brake problems are abnormally excessive compared to the "minor" problem some of you seem to think it is, but it is a safety issue when you are transporting 6 junior high kids down a snowy mountain road and your brakes are doing a hula. And I really don't care about the problems other SUV's are having, I am concerned about Nissan fixing the problem with the vehicle I own.
To date, depsite contacting Nissan 3 times and the dealer 4 or 5, nobody in a position to do anything about it has acknowledged the existence of an inherent problem with the brakes or the fact that there is a "fix". Maybe that isn't burying your head in the sand, but it certainly isn't customer service or taking responsibility for the problem. And, why is this complaint so bothersome to you that you feel the need to defend Nissan?

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I totally agree with you that it is a big pain in the ass to bring the Armada in for it's rotor turns and other issues.
All I'm saying if that no ones lives are being endangered, nor is the vehicle unsafe like so many are claiming.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
greenarmada said:
I'm sorry, but I really don't consider it exagerating a problem when I have had 3 sets of warped rotors in less than 14000 miles and it is obvious I am not alone. I have better things to do than take my Armada in every 2 or 3 months to have the brakes fixed. Maybe my brake problems are abnormally excessive compared to the "minor" problem some of you seem to think it is, but it is a safety issue when you are transporting 6 junior high kids down a snowy mountain road and your brakes are doing a hula. And I really don't care about the problems other SUV's are having, I am concerned about Nissan fixing the problem with the vehicle I own.
To date, depsite contacting Nissan 3 times and the dealer 4 or 5, nobody in a position to do anything about it has acknowledged the existence of an inherent problem with the brakes or the fact that there is a "fix". Maybe that isn't burying your head in the sand, but it certainly isn't customer service or taking responsibility for the problem. And, why is this complaint so bothersome to you that you feel the need to defend Nissan?
Please read the whole post next time.

The fix wasn't out until 2 months ago.
If you bring it in now, it will be fixed permanently.
Nissan already addressed this problem.

With the above 3 statements, why are you typing on your computer complaining and not scheduling your Mada to be fixed already? Almost every owner of every SUV from every maker has the same problem as you, including me. You are lucky enough to have bought from a company that has solved the problem promptly instead of waiting over 3 years like Ford, Dodge, Toyota and others. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I took it in last week

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I just took it in last week and still no "permanent" fix is being offered....it has been promised since May, but no sign of it yet. All I get from Nissan are promises to "get right on it" but so far, nothing. If I could someone to give me a firm date as to when I will get the permanent fix, then maybe I will stop typing and go to the dealer.

By the way, have I somehow landed in the middle of a Nissan run site? Just wondering, because there sure seem to be a lot of people running to their defense. All I was looking for was a forum to see if other people were getting the same run around I have, and apparently many people are.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
greenarmada said:
As I have mentioned in previous posts, I just took it in last week and still no "permanent" fix is being offered....it has been promised since May, but no sign of it yet. All I get from Nissan are promises to "get right on it" but so far, nothing. If I could someone to give me a firm date as to when I will get the permanent fix, then maybe I will stop typing and go to the dealer.

By the way, have I somehow landed in the middle of a Nissan run site? Just wondering, because there sure seem to be a lot of people running to their defense. All I was looking for was a forum to see if other people were getting the same run around I have, and apparently many people are.
I'd go to a different dealer then if you are getting crappy service. You should be getting the final fix by now. I'd call around and explain to a few in your area and see if they will fix the situation. I bet they'd love to steal a future customer. Maybe we should start a list of rating service at different dealers for sales and repair.

I am about to go for my first brake fix myself. Ahead of time I am calling around to find out what the repair area's take on it is. If they give me the runaround I'll go elsewhere. With 10+ dealers within 50 miles, no problems.

As for Nissan site, no, but I do get defensive about bashing the truck. For the most part, people are here to praise and admire the Mada, not scare them like the first post comparing the brake problem to one that killed a lot of people. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Greenaramada....You are right on the money on all your comments!! The brake issue and Nissan Customer service are totally unacceptable....FULL STOP! I also agree with your comment about some of the other people on this site being in a big hurry to defend Nissan on every issue.

Call a spade a spade!!!

Nissan knew damn well that the brakes were crap before they sold a single unit but they did it anyway. and now they refuse to do a recall.

Secondly the brakes are only one issue. These things are huge rattle traps built with American low end plastic that unfortunatley rattles and creeks at every bumb.

I have now filed a arbitration claim against Nissan as I have had 22 different defects on this vehicle. Yes I have an 04 but don't give me the BS that the 05 are better......they are the same.....read the posts.

As for trashing Toyota........read any reliablitiy report ....Toyota kicks Nissan's ass!

I'm not saying the Sequoia is a great vehicle but I would lay money on them having a better reliability record than the Armada.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
bubbagump said:
Nissan knew damn well that the brakes were crap before they sold a single unit but they did it anyway. and now they refuse to do a recall.
I'd like to see where you have information saying Nissan new when they started making Armadas that they had faulty brakes. Please post it.

As for a recall, they are using up 100% of the parts right now replacing faulty brakes and on the production line. A recall would do nothing without new parts. They are making them as fast as possible to get things resolved.

bubbagump said:
Secondly the brakes are only one issue. These things are huge rattle traps built with American low end plastic that unfortunatley rattles and creeks at every bumb.
This was fixed after '04. I don't know anyone that has an '05 complaining about their Armada being a "rattle trap". You're fault for not knowing every first year vehicle has bugs. EX. Sequoia, Tahoe, and Jeep Grand Cherokee have all had many more problems, most more serious than what the Armada had.

bubbagump said:
I have now filed a arbitration claim against Nissan as I have had 22 different defects on this vehicle. Yes I have an 04 but don't give me the BS that the 05 are better......they are the same.....read the posts.
Show me which ones to read? Brakes were fixed in May '05. Other problems were gone by the time the '05 run started.

bubbagump said:
As for trashing Toyota........read any reliablitiy report ....Toyota kicks Nissan's ass!
Read it yourself. I posted 68 pages of Sequioa owners griping about brake problems on Edmunds. Toyota didn't even aknowledge this for 3 years. Then there's the rattles.....
bubbagump said:
I'm not saying the Sequoia is a great vehicle but I would lay money on them having a better reliability record than the Armada.
JD Powers doesn't. :rolleyes:
My troll detector is glowing green. :D

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Bubbagump, can you list the 22 defects? I can think of a couple that maybe are defects if even that. Like the brakes that have been fixed.
And if you consider a rattle a defect?

Also, no one is denying that the brakes have problems, just that it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. The reality is that the steering wheel shakes a bit, then you go get the rotors turned and maybe get the countermeasures put on for the permanent fix. Yes it's a pain, but you're not going to endanger your kids, or drive off a cliff, or .........

1 - 20 of 43 Posts