Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a CAI for the Q to go along with the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. I am looking for modest gain in power and torque. If you end up losing any low end torque which sometimes I feel the exhuast has done, I may just pass.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
touaregtoqx56 said:
Looking to get a CAI for the Q to go along with the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. I am looking for modest gain in power and torque. If you end up losing any low end torque which sometimes I feel the exhuast has done, I may just pass.
I have a 2006 Q and have the Magnaflow, AEM Brute Force and the Airaid TBS.

It is an animal. I am not kidding. In 2wd it blazes the tires from a flat punch. In "auto" mode it launches like a car with slicks. I raced a similar prepped short Denali for $700 and beat him by 7 truck lengths.

Here is the bad news. The Magnaflow exhaust is out of hand as far as loudness. I mean this is suppose to be a luxury truck and Magnaflow must have the same system for the Titan. Because they would never have released this if it were just for the QX. I am used to it now, but lets just say, that if I get on it, people turn heads. I drive into the dealer bay and the writer thought I had ran over something and broke the exhaust. Every tech came over and looked at the system. The brute force makes a whoosh sound like most CAI. The TBS makes an off idle whistle. Both are drowned out by the exhaust. I kind of have a hillbilly SUV right now. But it fits real nice and it is FAST!!! I am always skeptical about silly bolts ons, but I can tell it picked up 20+hp. It hauls!!!! But it sounds like a flowmastered Mustang doing it!!!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks donho!!

donho said:
I have a 2006 Q and have the Magnaflow, AEM Brute Force and the Airaid TBS.

It is an animal. I am not kidding. In 2wd it blazes the tires from a flat punch. In "auto" mode it launches like a car with slicks. I raced a similar prepped short Denali for $700 and beat him by 7 truck lengths.

Here is the bad news. The Magnaflow exhaust is out of hand as far as loudness. I mean this is suppose to be a luxury truck and Magnaflow must have the same system for the Titan. Because they would never have released this if it were just for the QX. I am used to it now, but lets just say, that if I get on it, people turn heads. I drive into the dealer bay and the writer thought I had ran over something and broke the exhaust. Every tech came over and looked at the system. The brute force makes a whoosh sound like most CAI. The TBS makes an off idle whistle. Both are drowned out by the exhaust. I kind of have a hillbilly SUV right now. But it fits real nice and it is FAST!!! I am always skeptical about silly bolts ons, but I can tell it picked up 20+hp. It hauls!!!! But it sounds like a flowmastered Mustang doing it!!!
I like the hillbilly comment.. I happen to like the somewhat loud sound from the Magnaflow. It all seems very subjective when it comes to exhaust sound likes and dislikes. How is the dealership on the issue of adding CAI and warranty concerns. I realize every dealership is different on their policy.. just curious. Also do you need the TBS with the CAI? Do they compliment the whole set-up?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
touaregtoqx56 said:
I like the hillbilly comment.. I happen to like the somewhat loud sound from the Magnaflow. It all seems very subjective when it comes to exhaust sound likes and dislikes. How is the dealership on the issue of adding CAI and warranty concerns. I realize every dealership is different on their policy.. just curious. Also do you need the TBS with the CAI? Do they compliment the whole set-up?

I did the TBS because of Titan Forum. It apparently makes no increase in max HP or Torque. But, it makes a whopping increase in torque in the lower RPMs. It makes this extra drivable torque(great in towing and accelerating) with no loss in Top End HP numbers. That is having your cake and eating it too. By the way the test were conducted with a a CAI and exhaust. No gains were noticed on TBS installs without CAI. The work together. MAKE SURE you trim away the screen. The gasket is reuasble it you carefully use small tin snips and cut the screen out.

Seriously my truck is an animal. Very uncivilized for a QX56. This is not coming from a person who doesn't own fast cars. I have only owned fast cars in my life. I have been 8's in a 1/4 mile. I have been 170 in my Modded M3. I drove a Firestone Endurance Racing IMSA GS Mustang as a daily driver! But the QX that was suppose to be my winter/tow vehicle is now my daily driver. I raced a Millenium on Rt1 at 3 lights in a row. He had stickers and a sewer pipe muffler. He got beast so bad, after the third time he gave me a thumbs up.
I drag raced a honda civic with drag radials in front. Same thing.
I raced a 2003 Mustang GT. Beat him easily. This truck in Auto mode launches like a car on slicks!!! I drag raced a short Denali, with a CAI, Dual exhaust and a small hidden 50 shot. I beat him by 6-7 lengths for $700 and I still had a temp tag!!!

The dealer could careless about the goodies. Infact they were wondering why it was so loud when I drove it into the shop tunnel. Every tech there were on their hands and knees looking at the exhaust and then at the CAI. They could believe parts were even available. Now if I could just find a warranty blower install, I swear I will sell my modded Jag!!!!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
donho said:
I did the TBS because of Titan Forum. It apparently makes no increase in max HP or Torque. But, it makes a whopping increase in torque in the lower RPMs. It makes this extra drivable torque(great in towing and accelerating) with no loss in Top End HP numbers. That is having your cake and eating it too. By the way the test were conducted with a a CAI and exhaust. No gains were noticed on TBS installs without CAI. The work together. MAKE SURE you trim away the screen. The gasket is reuasble it you carefully use small tin snips and cut the screen out.

Seriously my truck is an animal. Very uncivilized for a QX56. This is not coming from a person who doesn't own fast cars. I have only owned fast cars in my life. I have been 8's in a 1/4 mile. I have been 170 in my Modded M3. I drove a Firestone Endurance Racing IMSA GS Mustang as a daily driver! But the QX that was suppose to be my winter/tow vehicle is now my daily driver. I raced a Millenium on Rt1 at 3 lights in a row. He had stickers and a sewer pipe muffler. He got beast so bad, after the third time he gave me a thumbs up.
I drag raced a honda civic with drag radials in front. Same thing.
I raced a 2003 Mustang GT. Beat him easily. This truck in Auto mode launches like a car on slicks!!! I drag raced a short Denali, with a CAI, Dual exhaust and a small hidden 50 shot. I beat him by 6-7 lengths for $700 and I still had a temp tag!!!

The dealer could careless about the goodies. Infact they were wondering why it was so loud when I drove it into the shop tunnel. Every tech there were on their hands and knees looking at the exhaust and then at the CAI. They could believe parts were even available. Now if I could just find a warranty blower install, I swear I will sell my modded Jag!!!!

Dude your a beast, :excellent. Im gonna go with volant and borla, but touregtoqx if it the car turns out too loud you can always purchase some extra sound deadener.

-Son of SQS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.