Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if these dual exhausts by Borla and others truly dual. I notice the they start from cat-back then combine both pipes into a single muffler, then come back out as dual again.
I ask because I only want to go dual if they truly stay separate from header to the very end.
Really no point to dual if they mix at the the muffler.
Dual should stay separate all the way through if you want a very cool sounding exhaust note. There is a out of phase sound you get from true duals that don't happen if it mixes in the muffler.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
None that I am aware of. For performance reasons, most serious engine builders use an x pipe to equalize pressure. As such, I can't think of any real performance exhaust that was a true dual and made in the last 10+ years. What you probably want is headers, dual high flow cats, x pipe, dual mufflers. You can make a setup custom like this yourself. Get the cats and mufflers and have an exhaust shop weld it up.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
There are a number of 'true' dual exhaust setups that use a single muffler. Had a buddy with a 71 Camaro that used a single longitudinally mounted muffler. The muffler is just happens to house both sets of pipes - it didn't 'mix' the exhaust at that point.

If you do go for a custom two muffler system - just make sure you have some place to run the pipe and stow the muffler. Space is pretty tight even on a big truck.

Better yet - get a couple of glass packs and dump the exhaust out in front of the rear wheels like a Shelby. Then you'll be getting that nice 'true' dual sound.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Since I'm more than happy with the power of the stock Armada, I wanted the see how the tweak the exhaust for sound without losing torque.
Remember that movie American Graffiti? Those big blocks sounded awesome!
But than maybe I need to get a blower up top too.

I saw a Titan at the Nissan dealer that all the guy did was replace his muffler with a Magnaflow. For $90 muffler and $90 of labor, that Titan sounded sweat!

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
andy said:
Thanks. Since I'm more than happy with the power of the stock Armada, I wanted the see how the tweak the exhaust for sound without losing torque.
Remember that movie American Graffiti? Those big blocks sounded awesome!
But than maybe I need to get a blower up top too.

I saw a Titan at the Nissan dealer that all the guy did was replace his muffler with a Magnaflow. For $90 muffler and $90 of labor, that Titan sounded sweat!
SWEET not SWEAT. not sure what sweat sounds like :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts