Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows the technical differences between the two systems, or are they both the same?

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
174 Posts
Don't quote me on this....

I'm pretty sure that they are different. The 4wd in the armada is a selectable system that will allow 2h, 4wd (high,low). While the all wheel drive sends constant power (or semi-constant depending on the control system) to all 4 wheels. This is much like the Cadillac Escalade. The computer controls the amount of slip that is necessary to shift power from the front, back or one tire on opposite ends (depending how it is set up). This is if Nissan (Infinity) has the same awd set up as most auto makers.... :eek:

Syko
Syko Kustomz
Wisconsin
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
49 Posts
I think they are the same.

I am pretty sure they are the same. My LE Armada 4x4 has 2WD, Auto 4WD, 4WD-Hi and 4WD-Lo. The knob in the QX56 says the exact same thing. The Titan on the other hand does not have the Auto Setting. Just 2WD, Hi and Lo.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most likely same then

kthrash said:
I am pretty sure they are the same. My LE Armada 4x4 has 2WD, Auto 4WD, 4WD-Hi and 4WD-Lo. The knob in the QX56 says the exact same thing. The Titan on the other hand does not have the Auto Setting. Just 2WD, Hi and Lo.
If the knobs are the same then it's most likely that they are the same. Looks like the auto 4wd is computer controlled and will adjust power to different wheel accordingly. This would be great for normal wet driving situation.

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
49 Posts
I throw mine in Auto whenever there is a drop of rain, 2WD when its dry outside. works great.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
896 Posts
Not much difference

The QX56 is a loaded Armada with rear-heated seats, trim tweaks and a higher octane fuel requirement to allow more computer ignition advance for a few more HP from what I can tell. Oh yea, and more sound deadening insulation, hence higher curb weight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
68 Posts
I like how the 4wd system in the Armada is flexible enough to let you set it as you wish. There are times I want all four wheels turning - I don't want to let a computer decide to do it for me. 4 Low is great for that.

Plus, you can always hit that Traction Control button to disable the t/c system, put it in 2wd, and the Armada does GREAT donuts!!! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
82 Posts
Hey umytbnext - Have you really done donuts?

Tell me it's not so? Have you really taken your 40K SUV and done donuts? Does this include smoking the tires? :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
Cillyone said:
The QX56 is a loaded Armada with rear-heated seats, trim tweaks and a higher octane fuel requirement to allow more computer ignition advance for a few more HP from what I can tell. Oh yea, and more sound deadening insulation, hence higher curb weight.

That'll put a dent in the wallet everytime you go to fill up the QX.. Not that the Armada is cheap to fill up either..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
The_Flood said:
That'll put a dent in the wallet everytime you go to fill up the QX.. Not that the Armada is cheap to fill up either..
The drivetrains are identical for both. The 4wd system is the same and not different like it is in the Escalade/Tahoe. The HP and fuel requirements are the same also. Our computers are flexible and intelligent. They sense the octane rating using a knock sensor and adjust accordingly. You can put 87 octane in a QX 56 and get 305 HP or 93 Octane in an Armada and get 315 HP. They use the higher octane in the QX56 when rating as a marketing ploy to say the Infiniti has more HP, when it doesn't. The Armada should be faster due to lower weight. :moon:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
Well on my Mada test drive the sales man told me to shift from 2wd to auto only under 40 mph, and the Infinti salesman told me i can shift at any speed. And i beg to differ on the Armada being faster part i saw the 0-60 specs for both cars and the Qx does it in 6.8 seconds and the Armada in 7 dead.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
60 Posts
think about it

they did those test more than likely with the armada fillied with 87 which gave the armada 305 and the QX was using 93 which gave it 315 :chillpill do the math, , , if the mada was using same fuel then it too would have had a quicker 0-60 time... .. ... think about it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
SilverQShip said:
Well on my Mada test drive the sales man told me to shift from 2wd to auto only under 40 mph, and the Infinti salesman told me i can shift at any speed. And i beg to differ on the Armada being faster part i saw the 0-60 specs for both cars and the Qx does it in 6.8 seconds and the Armada in 7 dead.
Beg to differ all you want, they are made on the same assembly line with the Titan. A member on the Titan forum is an engineer on the line. He says they use the same drivetrains and ECUs for all 3, except for the rear for the Titan. Mechanically, there is no difference. The differences are purely cosmetic: soundproofing wood dash, chrome side panels and wheels, HIDs, nose, etc.
Salesmen don't know their heads from their :moon: . I was at a Ford dealer with a senior salesmen who was trying to tell me the Mustang GT had a 6 cylinder. Their job is to sell cars. Read your manual and do what it says.

Last time I hope I need to post this. The ECU in all of them adjusts the engine's timing based on feedback from the knock sensor. This allows you to get more power from higher octane gas as you can advance the timing without detonation problems. If you rated the Armada or Titan motors on Super, they would be 315/385. If you rate the QX56 engine on regular, it would be 305/379. On identical fuel and rear gear ratios, most Armadas will be faster than QX56 because they weigh less. The LE 4x4 weighs almost the same as the QX56 and will be the same.

Sorry guys. Looked at this real close before choosing Armada. Not worth the extra money for me to have a clock in the middle of the dash. BTW, as you can see, I own an Infiniti G35 so you know I have no bias here. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Beg to differ all you want, they are made on the same assembly line with the Titan. A member on the Titan forum is an engineer on the line. He says they use the same drivetrains and ECUs for all 3, except for the rear for the Titan. Mechanically, there is no difference. The differences are purely cosmetic: soundproofing wood dash, chrome side panels and wheels, HIDs, nose, etc.
Salesmen don't know their heads from their :moon: . I was at a Ford dealer with a senior salesmen who was trying to tell me the Mustang GT had a 6 cylinder. Their job is to sell cars. Read your manual and do what it says.

Last time I hope I need to post this. The ECU in all of them adjusts the engine's timing based on feedback from the knock sensor. This allows you to get more power from higher octane gas as you can advance the timing without detonation problems. If you rated the Armada or Titan motors on Super, they would be 315/385. If you rate the QX56 engine on regular, it would be 305/379. On identical fuel and rear gear ratios, most Armadas will be faster than QX56 because they weigh less. The LE 4x4 weighs almost the same as the QX56 and will be the same.

Sorry guys. Looked at this real close before choosing Armada. Not worth the extra money for me to have a clock in the middle of the dash. BTW, as you can see, I own an Infiniti G35 so you know I have no bias here. ;)
I agree with you whole heartedly! :hi:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Beg to differ all you want, they are made on the same assembly line with the Titan. A member on the Titan forum is an engineer on the line. He says they use the same drivetrains and ECUs for all 3, except for the rear for the Titan. Mechanically, there is no difference. The differences are purely cosmetic: soundproofing wood dash, chrome side panels and wheels, HIDs, nose, etc.
Salesmen don't know their heads from their :moon: . I was at a Ford dealer with a senior salesmen who was trying to tell me the Mustang GT had a 6 cylinder. Their job is to sell cars. Read your manual and do what it says.

Last time I hope I need to post this. The ECU in all of them adjusts the engine's timing based on feedback from the knock sensor. This allows you to get more power from higher octane gas as you can advance the timing without detonation problems. If you rated the Armada or Titan motors on Super, they would be 315/385. If you rate the QX56 engine on regular, it would be 305/379. On identical fuel and rear gear ratios, most Armadas will be faster than QX56 because they weigh less. The LE 4x4 weighs almost the same as the QX56 and will be the same.

Sorry guys. Looked at this real close before choosing Armada. Not worth the extra money for me to have a clock in the middle of the dash. BTW, as you can see, I own an Infiniti G35 so you know I have no bias here. ;)
I agree with you whole heartedly! :hi:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
From what i have read, the armada and the QX56 share a system with the Skyline GTR of all things. The skyline GTR runs a system called ATTESA and upgraded versions. I haven't myself confirmed this. But I do know MY R32 GTR system is glorious, here's a link to more info about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATTESA
 

·
SHIFT_Moderator
Joined
·
12,993 Posts
I think I did read somewhere that it is based off the Skyline GTR. So you have a car that most of us have only seen in movies or video games and you haven't posted pics yet??? - LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
Yeah I'm horrible i know, I have pics, someone wanna inform me how to post them, I'd be happy to post them. I'll put up pictures of my Z too... Unfortunately, I have not acquired my armada/Qx56 yet... Sad day...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
109 Posts
Hello Chad,
At the bottom of the page click on "Go Advanced". Then scroll down to "Additional Options" and click on "Attach Files". From there you can upload pictures. We can't wait to see your cars.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
Thanks for the help QX56talk, I'll have to resize pics they are all pretty high res. This weekend I'll get to it. Coming back to the states soon so hopefully I'll be able to pick up my future Q... Ahh I can't wait. The Q, the Z, back on American soil. Life will be good.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
15 Participants
Chad1321
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing
Top