Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I have one. I will be installing it next weekend. I just began to fab an aluminum bracket to hold the compressor on the bottom of the drivers side just inside the step. I don't want it to get wet so I am blocking all sides with the alum bracket. I got a pancake 4 gal tank to mount inside the spare, fits perfect. Also, I think I will take someone elses idea from CA and put the horns on top of the motor. My setup cost roughly 700 but it's an Air-Zenith compressor and they are supposed to be pretty good and easily rebuildable. Choo Choo...hehe

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Ever since i moved to the us ive wanted one of these:

AirHorn

The vids say it all!

·
SHIFT_Moderator
2,187 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I have a kit from Hornblasters.com. It rocks. I placed the compressor and tank in the rear cargo aread and ran the air line through the jack storage, under the vehicle, and to the engine compartment. The four horns are located in the front between the radiator and the grill. Three are facing down through the lower grill opening and the fourth is angle within the same area. My switches are located on the lower part of the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. I have a digital psi gauge sitting on top of the dash to the far left of the steering wheel. I had the kit installed in a Honda Civic when I lived in Singapore last year. I just completed the installation in my '07 Armada a few weeks ago. I'm really glad I have it.

=====================================================================================================
2007 Armada: S&B CAI, Gibson Exhaust, M&D DVD system, 4 Channel/Camera Video DVR with dual monitors,
Uniden BCT-8 Scanner, Soundgate AUX audio switch, Cobra 29 WX NW BT cb radio, Bazooka 10" powered subwoofer.
Burtman Industries: Generic grill, tailgate latch, rear door handles, fog light inserts, door panel strips, tail light frames
Hornblasters.com: Shocker S4 Kit with Viair 20007 200 PSI and Air Zenith 220 psi digital air gauge

·
Super Moderator
5,623 Posts
would you mind posting phots of horn placement, compressor placement and dash?

whats the cost , rough estimate is fine, of this?

how long did the install take?

can a caveman do it? :D

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
You guys are going loud. I thouhgt you were goin gto install the simple airhorns that cost about 50 dollars. I was interested in one of the expensive horns but could not figure out where to install it.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
well i am late but i am bumpin dis one up again.... i was not on here for a long time... but i am back... i have some train horns also... i have them custom mounted under the rig in the back inside of my spare tire well.. everything is mounted under my rig.. its LOUD!!!!!!!!..... I LOVE IT.... if you dont have some.... YOU NEED TO GET THEM!!......

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Air horn installation pics

Attached are a few pictures of my installation of the HornBlasters Shocker S4 Kit with Viair 20007 200 PSI Air Source Kit. It also includes the Air Zenith air pressure gauge. When I purchased the entire kit in Nov of 2008, I paid close to $800. Separately, I purchased wire, connectors, zip ties, etc. So, I ended up spending closer to $900 altogether.

As you will see, I mounted the compressor in the rear cargo area and ran the air line through the jack storage area and through the body vent under the vehicle. The line runs under the Armada and up through the engine compartment and to the air solenoid, which sits on the cold air intake tube.

The air gauge is in a temporary gauge pod, which I really don't like. I'm considering other locations and possibly a dual-gauge pod in order to house my Bullydog as well.

There are two switches. One controls the power to the compessor. It's mounted on the left side of the three switches in the picture. The momentary switch (red) controls the air solenoid under the hood (to honk the horns).

The horns are mounted between the front grill and the radiator. The three smallest horns are mounted facing downward. The largest is mounted horizontally at a slight angle in the lower grill opening. I felt this was the best location to focus the sound forward of the Armada. One of the attached pictures has yellow ovals, which circle the openings of the horns.

I am really pleased with this installation. They are LOUD! 200 psi will scare the crap out of people.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I'm getting tired up people cutting me off and rather than tossing my old milk shake at their windshield I would like to install a train horn that will blow their windows out and cause them to deficate with out consent. There pretty cheap at a couple hundred. I'm just wandering if I could do the install. I am pretty savy at mechanics but never messed with electrical. I'm thinking the compressor could go in the trunk and the horns maybe in front of the fans where the front clip is open. It will be going on a QX. What do you guys think. Below is the kit im looking at.

Bring the Brown Noise!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRAIN-AIR-HORN-KIT-NO-RESERVE-70-OFF-SAVE_W0QQitemZ200448679819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2eabac1f8b#ht_2239wt_834

·
SHIFT_Moderator
2,187 Posts
Be careful of the actual horn size as I doubt it will fit inder the hood. Get size specs for it before ordering. I put everything in my spare tire compartment (horn, compressor, holding tank) except the gauge which in mounted in the middle console compartment.

I can shut up the loud music cars that pull up behind be thumping their radios. Usually one blast is all it takes to have them turn down their radio's.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Drauden
- That is awesome. Could you take a picture under your truck and post. I would like to see how its all arranged and what it got mounted to.
- This may be a dumb question but did you have to remove your spare tire or is it mounted around that area.
- Was there no way to mount the horns in the front or did you want them to project backward. I guess either way its loud as hell right?
- Was the electrical part pretty easy. Power wire through the fire wall back to the back. Was there some kind of kill switch that needed to be wired in so it turns off when the car is off or does it just turn on and off when the pressure is low?

In advance thanks. Your truck is the shizzzzzz.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
2,187 Posts
screamineagle: I can take a picture but it may be a few days. we just had 4 days of rain and things are very muddy and flooded at the present time. The holding tank is mounted to a piece of oak and the board is mounted to the truck. All the other parts are bolted directly to the truck. Mt horn faces the rear of my truck so I don't blast myself constantly :) Even though it faces backwards it is 100% louder in the front over the stock horn.

My spare tire is 35 inches so it will not fit in the compartment so it was an easy decisionut. I thought about mounting it in my cargo basket, but I can't figure how to get it up there (heavy) or even worse how I would get it down on the side of the highway. :-(

I had it installed as time is hard to find with 5 kids, 3 GSD's, and running rescue calls. The compressor is wired to the car ignition so it will only work when the car is on. The horn will still work until the holding tank is empty even if the car is turned off. When my holding tank gets to a certain level, the compressor will come on and fill it up.

I have a seperate push button on my dash for the train horn.

Hope that helps.

The install was not cheap as it took most of the day to do the install. Nothing was really difficult, just time consuming.I bought my kit from Air Horns of Texas.

I bought this kit: "46129 Train Horn Kit" Compare it to the one on eBay and make sure they both have all the same parts and if so, get the one that is $300 less.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
2,187 Posts
Here are my three installed horns: stock, Fire Engine, & Train

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I went with this one.... I just used one and it's much louder than both of my stock horns. I just remove the stock horn connector and replaced it with female spade connectors. Mounted it up front behind the front bumper pointing down. It's rated 118 dbs

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts