Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have 2019 Armada and why not just Un bolt the sensor from the negative terminal. Wouldn’t this give you old school alternator charging. Not stopping charge on quick take offs and charging Immediately not waiting for 8 miles down the road to start.
I simply unplugged the harness. It's been this way for a few weeks now, maybe closer to a month. Needle always sits above 14.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys and gals, background on the truck. 12 QX56, 83k miles fully loaded, having intermittent issues with the truck not starting for my wife. I had the brake sensor replaced last Dec by Nissan and seemed to be fine for a few months but it left her stranded again (actually started while I was on my way to drop off another vehicle) I dropped it off at Nissan, I shut it off and started it 4 times and it worked fine.

Battery is 13 months old Duralast Gold highest cranking I could find.

I have a battery tender plus I use on the truck every 2 weeks, I had just fully charged the batter the day before.

Nissan says the charging system is fine and they're going to replace the brake switch again ( tech says it's the problem)

Down to my main questions and I've read most of the threads on this issue.

I'm want to disconnect the sensor from the plug but someone said the battery temperature sensor will not work, what good is that and how can it hurt?

What type of a meter do you all suggest I buy to check the voltage?

Thanks all!

·
Administrator
6,188 Posts
in short, when the battery temperature is low, the system voltage is set high and will automatically decrease as the temperature increases. the ECM not reading the voltage could cause surging or other little nuisance issues.

What type of a meter do you all suggest I buy to check the voltage?
I use this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I simply unplugged the harness. It's been this way for a few weeks now, maybe closer to a month. Needle always sits above 14.
Boys, this is really old school but, hey it’s old school that got us this far so. Just to share a recent battery story. While I’m loaded with six women heading to Blue Ridge, GA for a day of girl stuff and an adult beverage or 2 for me. On a narrow S turn my 07 Armada just died. Every light on the dash lit up but no nothing for electrical. Coast to the roadside and got all 6 of the girls out and up a nearby driveway. Opened the hood and put a little turn on the negative post and cable, all good. Then did the same to the positive post and it felt like it came off in my hand. Lifted up and cable with post firmly attached came right out of the 18 month old Walmart Everstart battery. After the tow truck came for me, the girls had other rescue plans, we made our way to the nearest CarQuest for a new battery. Tech was a former Walmart tech and said he’d seen this several times while working there. He referred to those batteries as “Neverstart”. Lots of issues so be aware of the Everstart issues!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on my problem. Talked to Nissan service advisor, wife had the issues of not starting again after Nissan replaced the brake sensor at the brake pedal (2012 QX56) for the second time in 7 months.
I sent the advisor this forum threads but they would not acknowledge any issues having to do with the smart alternator (doubt they read it). Called Infiniti and they did confirm the issues but would not make any recommendations on what I should do because of the state smog reg's. I'm going to replace the battery ( Duralast Gold 930CC warranty) and have the wire spliced on the sensor so I can plug it back in when I take it in for Smog in NV. Can someone please confirm what wire to cut and splice with a connector please.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New Duralast just installed, sensor removed from negative terminal and taped up. Voltage constant as pictured, no drop in voltage when accelerating.

I drove it this morning and it took me 4 pushes for it to start (2nd time in 4 days) hoping those days are gone! Smog in Dec. I'll reinsert the sensor prior to smog certification.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Attachments

61 - 68 of 68 Posts