Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As roomy as my 04 Armada may be, I need extra dry storage when I travel with my family. Called Thule and Yakima, two of the biggest companies I know that carry luggage carriers. Both companies said the engineer that put together the Armada should be shot. They said because of the factory rails, they do not recommend any box be mounted safely. Thule did want to sell new 50" bars with Tracker kit and foot pack that would allow their sidekick box to work but would look funny with its 12-14" overhang. Has anybody successfully mounted a hard roof carrier on their Armada? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Wags said:
Has anybody successfully mounted a hard roof carrier on their Armada?
I've traveled a few times with my Thule box on top. I have an adventurer - don't think it's made anymore, but it's about 6' long and 3' wide.

Surprised to read the comments from the folks you talked to. The Thule box mounts fit just fine over the factory bars.

I did have to redrill holes because of the large distance between the front and rear cross bar, but not a big deal. The box comes with a half-dozen holes to choose from, I just needed another set about another inch back.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have a Yakima Rocketbox that I use on our Armada. I also drilled some new holes, but I believe it is more secure on the Armada then on the Yakima supplied towers and bars we use on our van.

Ken

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, did call nissan

RedSonja said:
So are you saying that even the box offered by Nissan requires "modification" to install? If not, then who makes that carrier?
Called Nissans parts department. They said " Of course we have a box to fit that vechicle" When I told the parts guy that I spoke with Thule (who makes Nissans carriers) and they said they do not recommend a hard box, he looked again in his book and said I was right. They just have a box to fit the Pathfinder, not the Armada.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I am very comfortable with the safety and security of the Thule box on the Armada roof rails. Again - the only question is the distance between the rails and Thule obviously likes to see them closer. Still, I put several thousand miles on the truck at freeway speeds without the box departing the vehicle and without my luggage cracking through the bottom.

Don't know that I can tell you more.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Armadaof1 said:
I am very comfortable with the safety and security of the Thule box on the Armada roof rails. Again - the only question is the distance between the rails and Thule obviously likes to see them closer. Still, I put several thousand miles on the truck at freeway speeds without the box departing the vehicle and without my luggage cracking through the bottom.

Don't know that I can tell you more.
Thanks for the input dude!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Thule 1800

When you stretch the span between bars, the bottom of the box is subject to more deflection. I added an aluminum channel about 1"x5/8" set inside the Thule channel and riveted it in. Adds stiffness. Box is field tested full, empty, thousands of miles and at 100 mph. No issues.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
armoody said:
When you stretch the span between bars, the bottom of the box is subject to more deflection. I added an aluminum channel about 1"x5/8" set inside the Thule channel and riveted it in. Adds stiffness. Box is field tested full, empty, thousands of miles and at 100 mph. No issues.

I like that idea, I think I will try it on my Yakima.

Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
If you click on the roof rack extender link, it says this is required for use with all accessories except the load warrior.

I'm not even going to ask why you make a roof rack that has to be modified to use any of the offered accessories...

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
tpartridge said:
What about the "Aerodynamic Hard Shell" accessory sold directly from Nissan? I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that they just resell the Yakima item. Here's a link to the Armada accessories page on the Nissan site.

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-Accessories_modelId-124278,00.htmlhttp://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-Accessories_modelId-124278,00.html
Looks just like a Thule box. If you look closely they have something on the bottom of the box a bit in front of the rear bar like a jury-rigged intermediate support instead of something that fits the factory bars right off. It is also really far forward.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
:confused:
armoody said:
How about adding a second stock rail onto the rear rack - to help spread the load over three rails, wouldn't that help? I do not carry a hard shell but was always wondering why there was only one rail in the back. Just a thought

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Peter Benger said:
:confused:
How about adding a second stock rail onto the rear rack - to help spread the load over three rails, wouldn't that help? I do not carry a hard shell but was always wondering why there was only one rail in the back. Just a thought
Even with the rear bar moved all the way forward the span is still too far for the stock spread. Check out this thread, there is a picture with the box on and you can see how far apart the bars are. I had to extend the reach about 3-5" to get it to work (don't remember exactly how far)
http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965&highlight=thule

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
rich1fried said:
I have the stowaway hitchmount box and it is great! Be sure to get the one that swings away instead of the fixed model. If you have specific questions, shoot me an email.
I made a brackett for mine worked great all the way from alaska to michigan to texas to wyoming. here is the pic

http://www.clubarmada.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=553

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.