Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howzit,

My first post so 'hi' to all.

Nissan has confirmed that the TITAN will be out with a Diesel in late 2006. Has anyone heard if the same engine will be offered in the ARMADA?

Cheers,
Neal

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I hope so. That would be outstanding! These things pull like a mother... now. I could just imagine what that would tow like.
Syko

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
TitanIam said:
Howzit,

My first post so 'hi' to all.

Nissan has confirmed that the TITAN will be out with a Diesel in late 2006. Has anyone heard if the same engine will be offered in the ARMADA?

Cheers,
Neal
Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace! Say, could you put us onto where you got the confirmation? Is there a link we can go to read about this? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Armada said:
Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace! Say, could you put us onto where you got the confirmation? Is there a link we can go to read about this? Thanks.
May Truck Trend magazine.

Yeah, no problem. I hope to have an Armada in the garage pretty soon. I am waiting to hear about a Diesel before I commit.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm still trying to find out if Nissan will have an Armada diesel late in 2006. If it offers 25% better fuel economy and great towing capabilities it would be a sure-fire seller.

Europeans are reaping the benefits of new diesel technology and we in the US are still asking why? I just drove the M/B 320 I6 CDi and this car is lightning quick and gets 35mpg. The Jeep Liberty I4 CDi is a best seller in it's class and also has a world renowned Mercedes engine powering it.

Now if we can get passed the 'heavy-duty' mentality here and ask for regular diesel engines at regular passenger pricing we may have a chance at seeing them here. However, if we buy into the 'heavy-duty' sell we will end up paying for it. In Europe gas and diesels are within hundreds of dollars of each other, not thousands!

I can't wait until gas gets to $80 per barrel. I want the efficiency of a diesel now!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I have been lurking on this site since late last year in anticipation of getting my own Armada LE 4x4 Deep Red Brawn (I like your style TripleBlack) Diesel. Well as of 15 minutes ago my sales contact at a local Nissan dealer just received word back from Nissan Corp. office that yes indeed there will be a diesel engine offered for the 2007 Armada which should arrive on lots late 2006! They would not release any further info on the subject at this time.

P.S. I love this site and think you all have taught me so much. I am ready to get my Armada and start my own upgrades. My wife wishes I go and get one now and not wait, but this news is giving me more patience to wait. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RedSonja said:
...What do you think?
I think we will see $80 per gallon before we see the Diesel Armada the rate gas prices are rising.

I plan to wait until there is a Diesel Armada and will utilise my existing vehicles until then. We are probably looking at 12 to 18 months wait but what the heck, I can just bare it.

I just hope Nissan has the sense to price the Diesel alongside it's gasoline stablemate and not go for a heavy-duty sell.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
i can almost guarentee the diesel will have a $5k premium, minimum. Mileage will probably go from 15 mpg gas to 20 MPG diesel, at 15k miles a year @ $3.00 gallon equals a payback period of 6.66 years, not even considering the time value of money (which would probably move the payback closer to 8 years). Point is, unless you NEED, or WANT diesel for towing, or the "cool" factor etc, in todays world the monetary payback isnt there, unless you plan on keeping your Armada for at least 7 years or more. Once diesels become more popular or are priced in line with gassers, it will be a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dmarmada04le said:
i can almost guarentee the diesel will have a $5k premium, minimum. Mileage will probably go from 15 mpg gas to 20 MPG diesel, at 15k miles a year @ $3.00 gallon equals a payback period of 6.66 years, not even considering the time value of money (which would probably move the payback closer to 8 years). Point is, unless you NEED, or WANT diesel for towing, or the "cool" factor etc, in todays world the monetary payback isnt there, unless you plan on keeping your Armada for at least 7 years or more. Once diesels become more popular or are priced in line with gassers, it will be a no brainer.
The fact that you are consuming less fuel will make the difference. If we all made a 25% savings commitment the price of fuel will come down.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
dmarmada04le said:
If you assume Diesel is 20% less per gallon then it's only a little over 4 yrs to recoup. Plus I would think the resale would be better? I'll start looking at the 08's if they come out in 07. As many problems as I've had with the 04 I'll let them experiment on someone else for a year:). (even with all the problems I would still buy another over any other on the market, luckily most of my problems have been on the interior and not the mechanical)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Diesel is more than Super Unleaded right now, and it seems like its been that way for quite a while (a couple years, at least its been more than regular unleaded). Resale will definitely be higher, but I doubt by the amount of the difference in purchase. In my mind anything greater than a 2.5 year payback wouldnt be worth it financially. That being said I'd pay the extra money because I'd love the torque to pull my boat, nothingbeats a diesel for towing.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
That is why I'm interested in the diesel...for towing. I have been eying a 33' TT. I love their pulling and hauling power! Also, yes, I do plan on keeping her for a long time. I'm one who keeps his toys until the wheels fall off. Also I believe the savings of not having to buy a bigger tow vehicle that I do not like and isn't practical for me is well worth a $5K uplift if the torque and other specs are right. Besides if I can get the same beauty with more junk in the trunk, then I'm a happy man!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The payback is instantaneous as you begin to conserve fuel immediately. The cost of gas is set to rise anyway if we keep up our current consumption rates.

I saw a slot on TV last night with some lady standing next to her Armada at a fuel stop telling the camera that she intends to get rid of the gas guzzler right away!

We need those Diesels ASAP or we can kiss big SUV's goodbye.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
yes even tho payback is right away what he meant was that it takes up to 6 years before you "actually" start saving on gas. 1st you have to make up all the money you spent extra on the diesel engine, then you will see the saving :)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
inf3rno said:
yes even tho payback is right away what he meant was that it takes up to 6 years before you "actually" start saving on gas. 1st you have to make up all the money you spent extra on the diesel engine, then you will see the saving :)
Trying to rationalize the savings in cash terms is the downfall. This is where all get hung-up. Logically this is what makes sense to us. However, the focus needs to be on reduced fuel consumption and not on what that immediate saving in reduction will get us.

Yes, If the price of gas is the same as diesel but the diesel is 25% more efficient we effectively pay 25% less for our gas. DON'T focus on the payment portion but on the amount of fuel you will consume. Our current rate of consumption will make the cost of fuel skyrocket over the next 6 years!

Motorcycles, Diesels and Hybrids are the immediate solution in consuming less.

Use less, we refine less, we pay less. :)

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
no. because even tho you will be saving on gas you will be paying more for your car/truck in 6 years period. if i buy an armada and you get say a diesel armada both new, you will be saving in gas a lot in 5 years, but again i will finish to pay my truck in 5 years at a lower price while you'll be paying for your truck... so you save on fuel but lose on the truck.. where is the point? if the diesel armada is 5k more than the fuel one... with those 5k i can buy a LOT of fuel right...??

on getting a hybrid car... i dont see it either. when servicing those cars you will be paying for 2 engines instead of 1. do a lil research on how much is the cost of maintenance of a hybrid. ;)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
if you are THAT worried about payback for gas, you shouldnt have bought a 5.6L V8 in the first place ..... if the slight difference in price of diesel will break you right now, you shouldnt have an armada

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Let's face it. Your cost/mile for FUEL for Diesel will be less that for gas because Diesel is more efficient(more MPG) You'll pay more for that because you want monster torque and/or to spend less at the pump each week. Total cost of ownership over the lifespan of the vehicle will depend on how long you own it and how well they maintain value. With that said, maybe with the diesel Armada they will have a REALLY BIG tow package with upgraded brakes!

As for Hybrids, I am just not convinced they don't cost the environment more than they help it. Big toxic batteries are just that, and take a lot of resources to manufacture and dispose of properly. If you want clean air, it would actually be cost effective to buy older cars that pollute SEVERAL HUNDRED / THOUSAND TIMES MORE than new reduced emission cars like Civics and TL's et al. to get those polluters off the road.

As for efficiency, the Armada is way more fuel efficient than the Ford 460 I sold, so it is all relative!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts