Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, anyone out there who has done Overlanding and/or some offroading with the Armada (2017-)? I'm interested in putting on a new front bumper with a winch (e.g. Smittybilt) and possibly a platform roof rack to be able to carry rooftop tent, etc. I'm not sure what alternatives there are? Thankful for any suggestions!

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
welcome.

there's quite a few cats on here who off road in this sub, so maybe worth some effort to look at what others have done to their rides by doing a cursory search.

heres a quick link to a winch discussion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, @marctronixx, yeah, I have been looking around here on the forum as well, but, I've had limited success finding much info for the 2017-2020 Armada, outside of info on the Mountain Patrol and Snow Patrol versions.

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
thats the same as the qx80 so do searches online for the second gen qx80 and qx56 as they are the same vehicle.

you can read threads by @PetitFrereArmada for example, who has taken his car off road. this car is mostly a grocery hauler. soccer mom, weekend boat hauler kinda car and not so much an off roader, so this explains why you have not found a lot of off road stuff. the first gen armada did have a market but this car not so much.

there are some members here who live abroad (lik in dubai) who are here and they may have some info. there was a recent member who has done some mods (wheels and suspension). you can also search for the "nissan patrol" and use keyword "off road" and you may bear some fruit.. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
this car is mostly a grocery hauler. soccer mom, weekend boat hauler kinda car and not so much an off roader, so this explains why you have not found a lot of off road stuff.
I respectfully disagree with this statement. While many people who are buying the Y62 Armada may be using them in this sense, the platform itself is quite capable off-road. It would have been nice for Nissan to just import the Patrol rather than this slightly watered down version; it still is impressive.

Hi all, anyone out there who has done Overlanding and/or some offroading with the Armada (2017-)? I'm interested in putting on a new front bumper with a winch (e.g. Smittybilt) and possibly a platform roof rack to be able to carry rooftop tent, etc. I'm not sure what alternatives there are? Thankful for any suggestions!
I bought my 2017 Armada in mid-September and have taken it on six 3-4 day weekend camping trips in quite remote parts of the backcountry here in Utah since then (the cool kids call this "Overlanding"). I bought the Armada specifically to replace my aging Isuzu Trooper as my backcountry vehicle. I don't want to make it sound like I'm some badass, but I've been doing this sort of stuff since the early 90's and am no stranger to putting vehicles through their paces off-road; and the Armada in bone stock form has impressed me. Its traction control system works as well as any limited slip I've come across, its 4-Low is plenty low enough for pretty much and crawling that you might have to do, and its ground clearance is good for a vehicle this size/type. On top of all that, it is PLUSH! But that might just be me coming from driving a 1994 Trooper for the last decade off-road! You're unlikely to ever really turn these into rock-crawlers (never say never, though), but as a backcountry exploration rig these will not dissapoint.
The aftermarket for these vehicles is limited at the moment. It never really got going for the QX because the buyers of that model were looking mainly for a luxury grocery getter. But when the Armada switched to the Y62 platform at a much lower price point and as used versions of the QX and the Armada start to show up at more reasonable prices, people like you and me who want to take it off road are picking them up and the aftermarket will start to take notice. Just takes a bit of time to really get going.
I've been working on my build plan for the past couple of months and done a fair amount of research into what is readily available here in the States. Because of Christmas (and The Boss controlling the purse strings ;)) I'll probably start buying parts early next year. Here is what I've found:

Bumpers:
So the Armada and QX versions of the Y62 platform have different frame ends than the Patrol. In the front, they are a longer and in the rear we have the integrated tow bar that is welded to the frame. As such, there are no really good bolt on bumper options that are available to us at the moment. Now, if you're willing to do some cutting and welding, you can fit any Y62 Patrol bumper you want to import. ARB, DASH Off-Road, Kaymar. I've talked with some contacts that I have at ARB and Kaymar; both have told me that yes, they are planning on building a specific version of their Partol bumpers for the Armada/QX. But they have no ETA for when they will be available. I do know that DASH Off Road's Predator front bumper is currently being modified and tested by Nisstec in Denver for the Armada. I was told "sometime in 2021" it will be available.

Winches: This is going to tie in with bumper availability. Personally, I'm looking at an ARB bullbar and a 12,000lb Warn winch. Mainly because ARB designs their bull bars around Warn winches, so I know that it will fit perfectly.

Roof Racks: There are quite a few roof racks out there for the Armada/QX; so this should be your easiest upgrade. Just doing a quick Google search should net you some good options, you just need to be aware of the weight rating for putting a RTT up there. Also, the body of the Armada and the Patrol (aside from the bumper covers) are the same, so any Patrol rack will also work. Personally I'm probably going to get a Front Runner rack from Equipt here in the Utah.

Lifts: First, all 2017-2020 Y62 Armada's are non-HMBC models. QX's may have HMBC and who knows about the new 2021 model yet.
Right now there is only one complete lift kit in the US (that I'm aware of), and that is Ironman 4x4's 1.5" kit. They seem to have a hard time keeping it in stock, though (but thats a good sign that people are buying them!). But, since the Ironman kit is the exact same as what they sell for non-HMBC Patrols, that would seem to indicate that the Old Man Emu and Dobinson's springs and shocks would work as well. I have spoken to both ARB (who owns OME) and Dobinson's and they both have their Patrol springs and shocks in stock in the US, but they will not guarantee that they will work; and as such their distributors will also not take them back if they don't fit. If you're willing to roll the dice, I'm willing to bet that the OME kit would work and I love OME stuff, but if for some reason they don't, that's $1,000+ that you're out. For that reason I'm going to go with the Ironman kit and maybe down the line I'll upgrade to an OME kit.
Additionally, people have pieced together lifts using parts from A60 Armada lift kits, Moog springs, Titan control arms and have been successful. There is a great thread on Expedition Portal about someone who has built a rather impressive QX80 this way.

Armor:
My biggest complaint about the Armada off-road in stock form is its breakover angle. That ~80" between wheels makes me nervous going over ledges and I have bashed the crap out of the stock running boards and drug the frame on numerous occasions. At least pretty much all the the important stuff is tucked up high between the frame rails.
Rumor has it that any skid plate kit for a Nissan F-Alpha platform vehicle (Frontier, XTerra, Titan, A60 Armada/QX56) will fit, but that you might have to drill some new bolt holes. Another option would be to import a Patrol skid plate kit from Australia, but that is pretty expensive and slow to ship. Rocky-Road Outfitters is going to start building rock sliders for the Y62 Armada (I'm actually going to be their guinea pig for this) starting next year. People have also had success using 1st and 2nd gen Tacoma Double Cab sliders.
__

If you're interested in using your Armada off-road, it really is a great platform that people are just starting to "discover". I think in a few years time there are going to be lots of people picking these up and taking them out.
This forum is OK for general information about the Armada, but as @marctronixx pointed out, most people here are more interested in hitting the mall than the trail. The Expedition Portal Nissan forum and Armada 4x4 are more geared towards people who want to use these rigs in their "natural" environment, so I'd recommend heading over there for more info and to ask specific questions about the Armada off-road.

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
I respectfully disagree
i respect that. :)

the patrol, whilst based on a very tough platform that was in use in more harsher environments, here in the states infiniti chose to use this platform for their second gen luxury SUV refresh. here in the US it's aimed at people with large bank accounts, who like the versatility of a strong suv but with class and elegance. in such, not many people see this car as an off roader, but there are lots of people who see this car as a potential off road beast with its power and construction. i was a qx owner and it was my daily driver. i know what its capable of.

my quip about grocery hauler and such is just more so being silly (humor does not come off so well over text) but in terms of infiniti's eyes, this suv was marked not for an off roader but more for a luxury suv that mainly stayed on the road.

@SRN and people like him will take this car to its limits, and will want to mod it and do a lot with it, so the OP is in a good place to ask this questions.

happy modding!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I respectfully disagree with this statement. While many people who are buying the Y62 Armada may be using them in this sense, the platform itself is quite capable off-road. It would have been nice for Nissan to just import the Patrol rather than this slightly watered down version; it still is impressive.

I bought my 2017 Armada in mid-September and have taken it on six 3-4 day weekend camping trips in quite remote parts of the backcountry here in Utah since then (the cool kids call this "Overlanding"). I bought the Armada specifically to replace my aging Isuzu Trooper as my backcountry vehicle. I don't want to make it sound like I'm some badass, but I've been doing this sort of stuff since the early 90's and am no stranger to putting vehicles through their paces off-road; and the Armada in bone stock form has impressed me. Its traction control system works as well as any limited slip I've come across, its 4-Low is plenty low enough for pretty much and crawling that you might have to do, and its ground clearance is good for a vehicle this size/type. On top of all that, it is PLUSH! But that might just be me coming from driving a 1994 Trooper for the last decade off-road! You're unlikely to ever really turn these into rock-crawlers (never say never, though), but as a backcountry exploration rig these will not dissapoint.
The aftermarket for these vehicles is limited at the moment. It never really got going for the QX because the buyers of that model were looking mainly for a luxury grocery getter. But when the Armada switched to the Y62 platform at a much lower price point and as used versions of the QX and the Armada start to show up at more reasonable prices, people like you and me who want to take it off road are picking them up and the aftermarket will start to take notice. Just takes a bit of time to really get going.
I've been working on my build plan for the past couple of months and done a fair amount of research into what is readily available here in the States. Because of Christmas (and The Boss controlling the purse strings ;)) I'll probably start buying parts early next year. Here is what I've found:

Bumpers:
So the Armada and QX versions of the Y62 platform have different frame ends than the Patrol. In the front, they are a longer and in the rear we have the integrated tow bar that is welded to the frame. As such, there are no really good bolt on bumper options that are available to us at the moment. Now, if you're willing to do some cutting and welding, you can fit any Y62 Patrol bumper you want to import. ARB, DASH Off-Road, Kaymar. I've talked with some contacts that I have at ARB and Kaymar; both have told me that yes, they are planning on building a specific version of their Partol bumpers for the Armada/QX. But they have no ETA for when they will be available. I do know that DASH Off Road's Predator front bumper is currently being modified and tested by Nisstec in Denver for the Armada. I was told "sometime in 2021" it will be available.

Winches: This is going to tie in with bumper availability. Personally, I'm looking at an ARB bullbar and a 12,000lb Warn winch. Mainly because ARB designs their bull bars around Warn winches, so I know that it will fit perfectly.

Roof Racks: There are quite a few roof racks out there for the Armada/QX; so this should be your easiest upgrade. Just doing a quick Google search should net you some good options, you just need to be aware of the weight rating for putting a RTT up there. Also, the body of the Armada and the Patrol (aside from the bumper covers) are the same, so any Patrol rack will also work. Personally I'm probably going to get a Front Runner rack from Equipt here in the Utah.

Lifts: First, all 2017-2020 Y62 Armada's are non-HMBC models. QX's may have HMBC and who knows about the new 2021 model yet.
Right now there is only one complete lift kit in the US (that I'm aware of), and that is Ironman 4x4's 1.5" kit. They seem to have a hard time keeping it in stock, though (but thats a good sign that people are buying them!). But, since the Ironman kit is the exact same as what they sell for non-HMBC Patrols, that would seem to indicate that the Old Man Emu and Dobinson's springs and shocks would work as well. I have spoken to both ARB (who owns OME) and Dobinson's and they both have their Patrol springs and shocks in stock in the US, but they will not guarantee that they will work; and as such their distributors will also not take them back if they don't fit. If you're willing to roll the dice, I'm willing to bet that the OME kit would work and I love OME stuff, but if for some reason they don't, that's $1,000+ that you're out. For that reason I'm going to go with the Ironman kit and maybe down the line I'll upgrade to an OME kit.
Additionally, people have pieced together lifts using parts from A60 Armada lift kits, Moog springs, Titan control arms and have been successful. There is a great thread on Expedition Portal about someone who has built a rather impressive QX80 this way.

Armor:
My biggest complaint about the Armada off-road in stock form is its breakover angle. That ~80" between wheels makes me nervous going over ledges and I have bashed the crap out of the stock running boards and drug the frame on numerous occasions. At least pretty much all the the important stuff is tucked up high between the frame rails.
Rumor has it that any skid plate kit for a Nissan F-Alpha platform vehicle (Frontier, XTerra, Titan, A60 Armada/QX56) will fit, but that you might have to drill some new bolt holes. Another option would be to import a Patrol skid plate kit from Australia, but that is pretty expensive and slow to ship. Rocky-Road Outfitters is going to start building rock sliders for the Y62 Armada (I'm actually going to be their guinea pig for this) starting next year. People have also had success using 1st and 2nd gen Tacoma Double Cab sliders.
__

If you're interested in using your Armada off-road, it really is a great platform that people are just starting to "discover". I think in a few years time there are going to be lots of people picking these up and taking them out.
This forum is OK for general information about the Armada, but as @marctronixx pointed out, most people here are more interested in hitting the mall than the trail. The Expedition Portal Nissan forum is more geared towards people who want to use these rigs in their "natural" environment, so I'd recommend heading over there for more info and to ask specific questions about the Armada off-road.
Thanks, after having used the Patrol myself (while living in different parts of Africa for close to a decade) as a very reliable off-road vehicle on safaris and some pretty rough terrain, I was thinking that the differences should not be monumental. Appreciate the detailed info and Utah is definitely on our radar, fantastic state to drive in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts