Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 466 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok people.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I have talked PRG Greg into doing some R&D for our rear springs. He said he's going to be getting a couple sets and looking into providing some ready to install Eibach springs to the Armada community... :) I know a few of us will greatly appriciate it and snap up a set- this will possibly partially cure the rear end sag many of us with Auto-Level have/are experiencing.

When I learn more I'll let you guys know... but for now that's all I've got.

**UPDATE**
I just spoke with Greg @ PRG Products and he said that he is going to start doing some testing tomorrow on the stock rear Armada spring(s) he got in. They have been INCREDIABLY busy past month or so and he said he is just now making head way on getting caught back up. I will keep everyone informed on the results and if Greg will start offering direct replacement upgraded rear springs. :D *crossing fingers* IF he does and we get enough intrest maybe he'll give us a group buy... :)

SO that you do not have to scroll through this entire thread I will post a quick synopsis of what has occured and info gathered here:
1. Airlift 1000 bags were initially looking very promising, but member here found out that they are NOT designed to provide any LIFT and had an extreme reaction when attempting to inflate (air bags turned into giant red blobs that squeezed out between spring coils and "totalled" the air bags).
2. Firestone bags appear to be best bet for air bags contained within OEM rear spring (as of yet- no reports of air bags turning into blobs as with the Airlift 1000s).
3. IF going with Firestone best to postion bags with fill position pointed up so as to decrease risk of air hose catching on debris and to maintain ground clearance.
4. Airbagit system completely REPLACES rear springs and is WELDED into coil bucket. (these can be designed to work with lifted applications, but would require serious modification if wanting to adjust in future).
5. Rancho and a couple other shocks can directly replace OEM shocks (both auto level and non auto level).
6. Bilsteins DO NOT MAKE A DIRECT FIT shock for the rear Armada/QX56 shock, BUT you can get a 5100 to fit with some slight modifications.
7. Per Greg @ PRG- TITAN REAR SHOCKS WILL NOT FIT REAR ARMADA/QX56 REAR SHOCK LOCATION! Titan rear shocks are MUCH too long (hopefully will be able to talk/get Greg to stock direct fit rear shocks for Armadas/QX56s in not too distant future)
8. While this thread is titled "Armada Rear Springs" it covers almost the entire Armada/QX56 rear suspension issues/replacements.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Awesome.
I am sooooo close to ordering a set of stiff springs from Napa.
It would be great to see the results of force testing on the stock springs vs. the Napa springs vs. Eibach

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He wanted to use mine so he could do some more intensive R&D for the whole suspension of the Mada...... but I live WAY to far away.
Maybe we can convince him to prove the community with a larger selection of parts (pre adjusted Bilsteins for the rear? SAWs? Radflos?) kits for replacing/adding air suspension.... :)

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Cool! Thanks for doing that Koosh! I don't have the sagging issue but would like to firm up the rear. I'll be looking out for new developments.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Subscribed! nice idea koosh

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Umm I just said that...hahahhaa

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
Keep us posted Koosh. If it helps, let him know that I'll be getting some too (powder coated Red) when I can save enough to afford the rear Radflos, my OEM shocks are shot pretty bad, I have another cracked exhaust manifold, and wifey's medical bills have been taking 40% of my salary.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Im in too Koosh.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be sure to let him know and keep you guys posted. Trying not to pressure him too badly at the moment. lol

@Pops your OEM auto-level shocks, which radflo part # are you going to get? I spent some time on their site but all I got for my efforts was a headache. lol

I'm in the same boat as you Pops. My back end is sagging bad and pretty sure I have cracks in one or both headers. Sorry to hear your wifes med bills are eatting up so much... Good thoughs and health to her!....

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
After rereading your first post koosh I decided to look at my rear end today, I have rear springs already behind my rear axle. They look like really large coilovers. Is this what you are referring to adding?

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Pops: LOL looks like we are both waiting on Greg. Well if I hear before you I'll let you know what Greg says.

@Nathan: Yes, we all have coil springs behind our rear tires. What I've asked Greg to do is to look into upgrade options for those coil springs and from there looking at the rest of the Mada's rear suspension. The rear coil springs currently provide very limited "lift" capacity but stiffer/bigger springs would help stiffen up our back end and hopefully provide a better ride. :)

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
@Pops: LOL looks like we are both waiting on Greg. Well if I hear before you I'll let you know what Greg says.

@Nathan: Yes, we all have coil springs behind our rear tires. What I've asked Greg to do is to look into upgrade options for those coil springs and from there looking at the rest of the Mada's rear suspension. The rear coil springs currently provide very limited "lift" capacity but stiffer/bigger springs would help stiffen up our back end and hopefully provide a better ride. :)
Koosh,

Ok that's what I was thinking you were talking about. thanks for clearing that up.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Count me on these as well!! after 150,000 miles my rear has got a little sagging going on!! No jokes please, I know it comes with age!

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Question for Pops

Hey,
those Air-Lift 1000 Helper Springs. I am looking for a set for the rear for my 05 LE. I got 6 inch lift on it but that does not matter I guess because the rear air ride is the same and the springs so it is just like stock realy if you look at it. Which model AirLift 1000 are you talking about. I want to drop them in there to stiffen the rear up, got little sag, not much, but I am also getting all shocks replaced right now so I justwant to complete it right way, first try. Don't want to back under my vehicle over and over to spend more time there. Rather stay in it. LOL. Do you know if there is a better option then those. Is there something that you seen comes in different color then red. All my accessories are black right now and stainless steel color so it would be out of place. Some guys are saying stuff about new stiffer spings. Where the heel they going to get those from. Getting mods for the Armada's is like pulling teeth. Not talking about big speakers and 5 different LCD screens size 17 inch and bigger, LOL. I am talking about some tough guy mods, OFF-ROAD type.

Let me know what you know POPS.

Dom.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
08 Armada SE rear airbags

Hello guys, I just installed these air bags on my wifes' 08 Armada SE (non-auto level) last month. The airbags definitely raise the back end and make it stiff. They were easy to install as well. I saw them for $66 on Amazon today via Google shopping. I think these will solve the sagging problem for your Armada. They are: Firestone 4150 Coil-Rite Rear Air Helper Spring Kit

Product Description:

Coil-Rite; Air Helper Spring Kit; Rear; Incl. Air Helper Springs; Supports; Hardware; Air Line; And Inflation Valves; No Drilling Required; OEM Number W237604150. Increase Vehicle Stability. Improve Steering And Balance. Improve Braking Effectiveness. Prevent Bottoming Out. Maintain A Level Vehicle. Keep Headlights Aimed On The Road. Reduce Tire Wear.

:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 466 Posts