Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was really scary and strange. Is the Armada equipped with something that prevents a rollover or helps keep it upright? Yesterday, I was travelling down 400 and going about 70 and this black pick-up was "playing" with me, he kept jumping out beside me and riding along beside me until traffic got behind him and he would get in front of me; then when traffic was gone, he would change lanes again and ride beside me; if I sped up, he sped up and if I slowed down, he slowed down. He kept doing this for about 10 miles when he had to jump right in front me to get out of another car's way; when he did, he almost clipped me; I started to slow down then when all of a sudden he jumped back over in the left lane and there was a huge box right in front of me! So I jerked it over to the left lane and we both went over into the median. I felt all of the weight of the car totally shift over to the driver's side and I know the right side was off the ground and I just knew it was rolling over. I know I didn't do anything, I was too scared, and all of a sudden it just seemed to center itself and we drifted back up onto the highway in one piece. Is that something the Armada does or was it just my imagination? Has this ever happened to anyone? My son did the exact same thing in his Mitsubishi Montero Sport; he swerved off to the right to avoid something in the road and his started flipping end over end about 3 times and then cartwheeled and landed on the driver's door. I've never seen anything so torn up and I couldn't even recognize the car (and it was mine for 4 years until I gave it to him and I got the Armada). I was just wondering if it has something that grounds it because we did the exact same thing, or maybe the weight of it? Something made it straighten out cause I know it wasn't me.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
leigh said:
This was really scary and strange. Is the Armada equipped with something that prevents a rollover or helps keep it upright? Yesterday, I was travelling down 400 and going about 70 and this black pick-up was "playing" with me, he kept jumping out beside me and riding along beside me until traffic got behind him and he would get in front of me; then when traffic was gone, he would change lanes again and ride beside me; if I sped up, he sped up and if I slowed down, he slowed down. He kept doing this for about 10 miles when he had to jump right in front me to get out of another car's way; when he did, he almost clipped me; I started to slow down then when all of a sudden he jumped back over in the left lane and there was a huge box right in front of me! So I jerked it over to the left lane and we both went over into the median. I felt all of the weight of the car totally shift over to the driver's side and I know the right side was off the ground and I just knew it was rolling over. I know I didn't do anything, I was too scared, and all of a sudden it just seemed to center itself and we drifted back up onto the highway in one piece. Is that something the Armada does or was it just my imagination? Has this ever happened to anyone? My son did the exact same thing in his Mitsubishi Montero Sport; he swerved off to the right to avoid something in the road and his started flipping end over end about 3 times and then cartwheeled and landed on the driver's door. I've never seen anything so torn up and I couldn't even recognize the car (and it was mine for 4 years until I gave it to him and I got the Armada). I was just wondering if it has something that grounds it because we did the exact same thing, or maybe the weight of it? Something made it straighten out cause I know it wasn't me.
good to hear that you are ok, and if the Armada is equiped with some kind of a stablizer that I don't know, but the jerk who was harrasing you hope he flipped over. boy that will be too cool to see something like that happen to jerk like that. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Probably one of the electronic traction controls kicking in applying brakes to speicific wheels, etc. ;)

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Wow.. glad you're OK. Sounds like the vehicle remained pointed fairly straight ahead as you went off road. It is always best to just to keep the vehicle pointed straight and let it slow itself down by taking your foot off the gas. Then once you've lost alot of speed you can turn back onto the road in a controlled fashion.

Alot of times rollover are when folks jerk the wheel to get back on the road and then catch an edge of their tires in the dirt or whatever surface they are on which casuses the vehicle to tip or even roll.

Sounds like you probably got most of this right by not doing anything at all and letting the Armada straighten itself out. The stabilty control probably helped too if it sensed wheel spin. I have not read up on what systems it actually controls. But these systems usually emply the brakes and cut the throttle.

Anyway... next time you're at a high rate of speed it might be better to run over whatever it is in the road and let the Armada take the hit vs. running off road and risking a potential deadly crash.

I always remind myself just to keep going straight so long as whatever is in the way isn't human or has people in it. The instinctual reaction is to swerve out of the way like you did.. but alot of times it is not the best thing to do.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
That was part of the VDC function. The Armada is equiped with G force sensors that detect acceleration in all directions. There is also a steering wheel position sensor, as well as sensors on each wheel to detect the wheel rotation. When you take a action such as you had to, the Armada detects all the motions, the position of the front wheels (how far they are turned and in which direction) and applies the brake to whichever wheel necessary to correct skids, swerves, etc and keeps the vehicle in control. This is a great feature of the Armada that many people don't seem to know about. It can save your life!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Good to hear that the vDC works as advertised. The systems on the truck are pretty smart - anti-lock, VDC, traction control, AWD. Still - they can barely keep up with the adverse effects of an idiot in a black pick-up.

Glad you're OK.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Report This Criminal

LEIGH:

SIR/MS.,

Did you report this incident to the local pd? Were you able to get the vehicle's license number? This person almost seriously hurt or even might have killed you due to his reckless driving! I recommend, next time immediately call 911 and give the license number and vehicle make and your approximate location and direction. Then drive at a normal speed and ignore this lunatic until a the locals arrive.I In addition, if you have camera phone with digital picture or video features, perhaps have your passenger use it. Be careful out there, there are alot of jealous and envious people out there!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Did you report this incident to the local pd? Were you able to get the vehicle's license number? This person almost seriously hurt or even might have killed you due to his reckless driving! I recommend, next time immediately call 911 and give the license number and vehicle make and your approximate location and direction. Then drive at a normal speed and ignore this lunatic until a the locals arrive.I In addition, if you have camera phone with digital picture or video features, perhaps have your passenger use it. Be careful out there, there are alot of jealous and envious people out there!
NO. NEXT TIME RAM HIM OFF THE ROAD!!!! jk i hope you got his plate # because if someone did that to me i'd definately report to pd.

-son of sqs

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I did get his tag number and he was reported. There are definitely some idiots on the road. I think that is an absolute life-saving device on the Armada. I really believe that had I been in another vehicle, it would have rolled over. He didn't go as far off the shoulder as I did, just barely. I jerked mine a lot harder cause it was right in front of me when he jumped over and it was huge, like a dishwasher or something. So when I jerked it and it ran off the shoulder median, I did pull it back a second trying to keep it on the road and that is when I felt all the weight shift over to one side. Then I was too scared to do anything else and it just centered and straightened itself out. I just had to know if I was imagining it or if it really was the car. I was really impressed with my son's Mitsubishi the way the cabin held together when the rest of it was so crushed; that and the seatbelt saved his life. He escaped with only a cracked wrist and I think he did that when he crawled through the sunroof to get out of the car. But I was even more impressed with the Armada! Thanks for all the helpful tips.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Yep, leave the VDC on, unless you need a little scoot off the line.

It worked to keep your Armada upright by doing a number of different things.

Glad to hear you are ok. I would have locked the jerk up, after calling in the tag, and getting a unit to respond.

I recently had an encounter with a drunk driver, on my way home from work. The guy drove straight out into the road, into my path, and I swerved with a split second response, avoiding him by a few feet. I was in the Z though, so it reacted like a cat. I pulled over, let him pass, followed him as he kept running off the road at low speed, and 4 units showed up at the guys house, as I followed him all the way there.

If I would have been in the Armada, I probably wouldn't have been able to swerve in time, and he would be dead.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Most likely you were not in imminent danger

Had your truck sensed it was about to roll over i.e. had the wheels left the ground at the rate of speed you are speaking of ,most likely, the onboard roll over protection gyroscope that deploys airbags if it senses a roll-over would have kicked in.

It sounds like your vehicle was in control. But, with the huge mass of our trucks you really can't afford to play with other cars at freeway speeds. The brakes and handling just dont allow for a huge margin of error.

Looks like you were very lucky!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.