Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, happy Easter.
Well the easter bunny came early and dropped off my new Jayco 29ft Travel Trailer. I was wondering if anyone else has attempted to pull something this size with our Armada's?
I have the 29ft Jayco Jay Flight (29BHS). Weighs in at 5600lbs empty. I towed it home today with a 30 plus mph wind and it handled well. I have a Reese class V weight distribution hitch with the class V cam type sway control.
I know it will do well, but here is the interesting part. The owner of the place where I bought it was having a hissy fit that I wanted to pull this trailer with a Nissan Armada. I almost walked out on this A$$ (had I not paid for it 3 months ago). He said the wheelbase is too short and wasn't going to be responsible for my actions.
I am sorry, the wheel base is almost identical to a Dodge Ram 1500. I don't think he had a clue as to what a Armada was let alone it's towing capabilities. Thanks for letting me vent, now its off to more adventures with the Armada and my new "home".
Hasta la vista, baby....
Syko
Syko Kustomz
Wisconsin
2004 Nissan Armada SE Off road
Big tow
Journey package
Galaxy :machinegu

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
That's got to be the first story I've ever heard where the RV dealer tells a new owner his tow vehicle isn't big enough. Usually, its the other way around. When we were buying our trailer, one dealer tried to sell us a 31' trailer with an empty weight of 6500 lbs! Our tow vehicle at the time was a 99 Durango, with a 7200 lb tow rating. Glad I didn't listen.

A great forum for RV'ers, if you haven't already found it, is www.rv.net/forums.

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Guy was clueless. Probably got it mixed up thinking it was the same as a TOYota.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
You'll be just fine...

We have a 25ft Outback Tvl Trlr, the Armada handles it just fine. It's about 6000lbs dry and we pack it full so I figure about 7000lbs with water equipment ect.. it's no problem.
The Armada has such incredible tourque, I have a friend with a 2500 Chevy Diesel and a 30ft Fifth Wheel and I keep up with him just fine.

We had a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer and towed the Outback for a about 6 months, we are lucky to be alive with that P.O.S...

Your gonna love it!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
So If You Dont Mind Me Asking How Much Did You Get Her For?
I Have Been Shoping For A Camper And I Just Dont Know What To Get Or How Long Whats The Longest You Guys Dear Tow? And Do You Know Of Any Used Traylers That Some One Wants To Sell.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey JACOB,
With tax, title, licence it came in around 12,800 total. I bought it at a RV Show in Green Bay WI during a blizzard so circumstances were in my favor. The guys really wanted to sell because nobody was there.
Mine was the only Armada that was in the parking lot and travled the 30+ miles to Green Bay in really Sh!tty weather just fine.
Any more questions just ask.
Now, I just have to wait for some more nice days so the State and Private parks will open up....
Syko

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
7k is nice

Jacob, if you are new to towing, I would try to limit the size trailer to 7000 lbs max wet and loaded. Get a good sway reducing hitch and brake controller (I like Prodigy) And you will have fun rather than sweating bullets. To start out with a maximum size trailer with no experience, even with a good tow vehicle like the Armada is tough and not much fun and could be dangerous. Good luck

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me last summer. I was putting a patio in the back of my house and went to pick up the concrete in a U-cart. My friend went with me to get the other cart in his 1998 dodge ram short bed 4x2. My armada has the tow package and 4x4. When I was paying the guy wanted to know what we were towing with and when I told him he almost refused to let me do it. He had no problem with my buddies ram but immediately heard Nissan and said no. Finally I convinced him after going out and looking at the beast. What an idiot.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
We have an '05 Outback Sydney Edition 30RLS (33' total length) that we tow at around 7300 lbs. with an Equalizer WD hitch. No sway issues and tows well. I was another one the where the RV dealer heard "Nissan" and questioned the tow vehicle (they had never seen an Armada or a Titan). I run at around 60 mph with this setup and no problems yet (except for fuel mileage, but I expected that).

Kevin Taylor
Austin, Texas
'05 Armada LE Deepwater Blue

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
WELL I WENT SHOPING AGAIN AND FOUND THE BEST ONE I HAVE LOOKED AT AND AFTER WORKING THE DEALER FOR HOURS I GOT HIM DOWN WITH HIS ARM BEHIND HIS BACK AND HE TOOK MY OFFER IT'S A 2005 JAZZ BY THOR MODLE-2810BH TT 28 FOOT WITH A BIG SLIDE WILL SLEEP 8-9 AND IT'S A FIBER GLASS EXTERIOR LOADED WITH EVERY OPTION.
http://www.thorca.com/thor-jazz-tt.html
THE MSRP IS $34,747.00
AND I PAID $22,995.00 WITH EQ, TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER, BETTER BATTEREYS, FROSTY PACKAGE, BANDLEADER PACKAGE, ENSEMBLE PACKAGE
OUT THE DOOR, LIKE I SAID LOADED TO THE NUTS :2cool:

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds sweet! Man the fiberglass really jacks up the price!
Syko

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
SykoArmada said:
Sounds sweet! Man the fiberglass really jacks up the price!
Syko
NO ITS ABOUT SIXS OUT OF THE ONES I WAS LOOKING AT.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
A modest suggestion, Jacob: Does your computer let you send e-mail in both upper and lower case? Some don't, so I'm being careful. But if you can take the cap lock off, it might be helpful. Most people consider all caps to be reserved for very special emphasis. It's like SHOUTING! When used routinely it is considered by some to be a breach of etiquet. I'm sure that was not your intention.

Just a suggestion. I enjoy your posts.

Armada

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
As you can see in my signature, I pull a 28 RS-S - with no problems. Technically, the RV dealer was correct in stating that the wheelbase is too short. Guidelines suggest that you should have 110" for 20' of trailer with 4" of wheelbase for every foot in trailer length after that. So, if you were to use this guidline as gospel, we would be limited to a trailer in the range of 23' - 24'. However, this number really is not set in stone as you need to factor in a good weight distribution/ anti-sway hitch (I swear by the Equal-i-zer). Beyond that, some vehicles just seem to be inherently more stable than others. The Armada has a fairly short distance from the axle to the trailer hitch receiver and the "load leveling" airbags which really solidify the ass end. There are also articles out there that talk out the benefits of independant rear suspension when towing. When you look at the entire picture (and then actually tow something) you see that the Armada is really a pretty decent towing platform.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Wonderful post, Ymryl. Beautiful rig. Very useful info. I'm towing a 24 ft. equipment trailer loaded with a Kubota 50hp diesel tractor and whatever impliment happens to be attached at the time. The 8 ft. multigang disc is the heaviest. Tractor tires are filled with water for traction and stability, so it's pretty heavy. Total weight is about 8,000 lbs.

I only tow short distances, so I have not been using an equalzing hitch. The Prodigy brake controller is the way to go and I love mine. While I'm not having any stability problem with the short tows, you have me thinking about the Equal-i-zer. I was just about to buy a Draw-Tite, but will rethink that.

Here is an interesting article I found about how well our Armadas do in towing boats weighing close to 8,000 lbs.:

http://www.trailerboats.com/site_page_1483/article_page_278.cfm

It pretty much confirms our experiences. The independent rear suspension is great and those airbags on the shocks do a great job of leveling things out, but I don't have a lot of suspension travel left with the trailer attached. I have not measured tongue weight, but probably should do so.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'd definately recommend a good weight distribution / anti-sway set up pulling that kind of weight. The Draw-tite generally gets good reviews from the folks on various camping forums, although I don't personally have any experience with them so cannot really say whether they are good or not. I bought my hitch from RV Supply Warehouse, they had the cheapest price around and shipped it out the same day I ordered it. You can always call the equal-i-zer folks and they will help you determine the best parts for your setup.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Great info guys! I have the Prodigy for my cargo trailer as well, and it works very well. Good post on the anti-sway system too- I've been wondering about that!

I've made this post a Sticky for others interested in this topic.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Sarry for the caps I have to use CAPS in Engineering Design.

I picked up my trailer today and got a Equal-I-Zer and a Prodigy brake controller and towed it home 80 miles at first it was weared filling all the bumps from the trailer cuz i havent towed anything that big befor but after 10 miles or so i got the hang of it and it pulled goood going 65-70 mph with no fight to keep it in a straight line but going over sardin canyan 60 was about it for me, I was suprised on how much POWER I had Pulling 7,700 Lbs over a mountion the Mada Loved it and wants more.
Where do you guys have your brake controller mounted?? mines in dumb spot and almost in the way.

P.S. I'l have to post pics of the Mada with the trailer soon.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Yeah where have you guys been mounting the brake controller. Getting ready to buy an armada and then i plan to put in a controller for my race-trailer.

-mike

1 - 20 of 161 Posts