Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy that just got a 06 Durango of course with the "Hemi". He said it was pretty fast and so we wanted to race them. As a side note, we are both in our mid 30's with kids car seats in each rig. We raced in a private industrial park that was a controlled environment. After researching here I thought I would have pretty good success.

My car: 06 Armada LE, 4x4, 2900 miles, 22's with 305/45. In two wheel drive mode, VSC off, in D. Green light, mash the gas= 0 spin. I didn't pre-load the gas when starting. ECU reset 2 hrs before. Not sure if this was the best method, I left the tow button off but thought about whether that would make a difference.

His Car: 06 Durango SLE (or something like that) 4x4, stock wheels. In 4 auto (no 2 wheel drive mode), in D, green light mash the gas.

Race 1: Even start, the Armada pulled slightly ahead at the top of first gear, dead even after that to 60ish.

Race 2: I got a jump from a 1, 2, 3 start. Seemed to stay exactly that lead until about 65, where the Durango started to take off. At 80 he had made up the half car lead I had and pulled about a car a head and was pulling when we let off.

Summary, I am sure the wheels hurt me but don't know how much. I would think that at higher speeds the larger wheels should have less effect and thats where he started to pull. I drove his car after and he has more RPM (higher redline) on the top and it seemed that extra 1500 RPM made a big difference in seat of the pant pull at higher speeds. Fun races, he said he thought they were basically even but we both know that at anything above 65 his is faster.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I think the 22's are more of a difference maker than you think.

Nav400 said:
I have a buddy that just got a 06 Durango of course with the "Hemi". He said it was pretty fast and so we wanted to race them. As a side note, we are both in our mid 30's with kids car seats in each rig. We raced in a private industrial park that was a controlled environment. After researching here I thought I would have pretty good success.

My car: 06 Armada LE, 4x4, 2900 miles, 22's with 305/45. In two wheel drive mode, VSC off, in D. Green light, mash the gas= 0 spin. I didn't pre-load the gas when starting. ECU reset 2 hrs before. Not sure if this was the best method, I left the tow button off but thought about whether that would make a difference.

His Car: 06 Durango SLE (or something like that) 4x4, stock wheels. In 4 auto (no 2 wheel drive mode), in D, green light mash the gas.

Race 1: Even start, the Armada pulled slightly ahead at the top of first gear, dead even after that to 60ish.

Race 2: I got a jump from a 1, 2, 3 start. Seemed to stay exactly that lead until about 65, where the Durango started to take off. At 80 he had made up the half car lead I had and pulled about a car a head and was pulling when we let off.

Summary, I am sure the wheels hurt me but don't know how much. I would think that at higher speeds the larger wheels should have less effect and thats where he started to pull. I drove his car after and he has more RPM (higher redline) on the top and it seemed that extra 1500 RPM made a big difference in seat of the pant pull at higher speeds. Fun races, he said he thought they were basically even but we both know that at anything above 65 his is faster.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
sorry to hear that......I had this 2500HD race me once, I past 2500 HD with no problem... I have Volant installed, muffler and 22's. :)

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I totally agree about usable power. Moreover the Durango is a much smaller vehicle and not one I would consider as a direct competitor either. I drove it and it seemed like a nice overall package.

I should mention that I didn't buy the Armada to drag race other vehicles nor is that something I would ever do except for unique circumstances such as this one. Also I realize that the 22's are a big power drainer---but I like them. Augmented women have more back problems, higher risk of certain illness'---but I like those too. I guess I am just illogical about certain things.

I just wanted to post my experience to perhaps balance out some of the other rhetoric I have seen on this website regarding our vehicle. Its a great vehicle for its intended purpose with ample power but seems like I have seen it beat everything from GTO's to motorcycles on here.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
The weight of those 22's probably killed you. Slap your old rims on ask for a rematch. O and did he have any mods by any chance?

-Son of SQS

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I'll bet those 22's and the extra width of the tires is your problem.

It's not just a matter of the increased weight, but as the weight moves further outward (metal is heavier than rubber) it takes increasing amounts of power to spin that weight around and around. As the center of gravity moves further out, it is going to take more power to complete each rotation.

Then, there is the extra width of the tire. You do not have a wheelspin problem, so the extra width is being wasted for this purpose, especially on the front. What you are doing is increasing frontal area and therefore increasing drag with the wider tires.

Finally, the Durango is smaller and probably has a smaller frontal area. The drag becomes noticable at higher speeds.

To see the effect of this, I am attaching a chart generated by my Armada back in December by an accelerometer (in this case a G-Tech Pro Comp). Note that drag prevents the engine, normally capable of producing about 260 horses or so, from getting much above 200-220 up there on the top end. The engine wants to produce more power, but it just can't overcome the drag.

I'd say you are losing another 20-30 horses with the big wheels and tires even though they may still only be 33 inches tall. In the quarter mile that would translate to at least one, perhaps two truck lengths.

Put your narrower 18's back on (or better yet, offroad 17's) and you'll probably beat him next time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Clean the floor

You must have had something stuck under the gas pedal! :D

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
With stock wheels, I don't think the pushrod Hemi Durango can beat the Armada 0-100 MPH. The Durango is more than 300 lbs lighter.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.