Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im coming from the lexus and toyota brand family, i had the armada last week for about 2 days it was a base 2017 sv model, i was really impressed with the drive and how comfortable the ride was. Now i want to buy one and i understand the QX80 is basically the same truck besides different exterior only real difference i have came to know is that the QX80 uses hydraulic power steering vs electric on the armada and that the qx80 also has air suspension in the rear is the rest all the same ?

I also went to my local infiniti dealer and test drove a 2020 qx80 but it felt much heavier and the power delivery felt way different then the armada i had with 45k miles.

Was it due to the different power steering system that qx felt heavier? Also qx is rated at 400hp while armada is 390hp is it different tuning or could it be premium gas specs vs regular unleaded ?

I also didn't like the hood view of the qx from inside it just looked like a crossover or soccer mom type vehicle with its round arch type look where the armada has a flat proper big truck/suv type of view which i prefer on a full size suv.

Also the updated infotainment system with dual screen looks good but the functionality is more complicated while driving.

I plan on buying a used 2017 or 2018 sl trim or even a sv if the deal is good but really need memory seats which i believe is only on sl and up, so in the long term are these vehicles as reliable as Toyota or lexus lets say gx470 or land cruiser?

Thank you

·
Registered
69 Posts
From experience, riding on those 18" wheels on a base Armada to the 22" (I presume) on the qx80 makes a tremendous difference. The weight difference in those 2 are quite dramatic. The 18" will give a floaty feel (subjective) where that extra shock absorption in those beefy tires feel like heaven. I have an SL that came with the 20" and changed it out with the 22" from a qx and there is definitely a difference in ride (absorption, rebound sensation, handling is much improved, etc. I am certain the tires play an extreme part in this matter also. The car feels heavier and my steering feels different with the 22". As for the power delivery, I am curious about this. I was under the impression power delivery would be the same with the exception that the QX uses different mapping due to requiring premium gas vs an Armada. Both Armada and QX will have the air shocks in the rear regardless of model...only fly difference as you have stated is if the QX80 has the HBMC (suspension) which I do feel makes a difference from my test drives comparing the 2. The difference to me is not as apparent in all situations though (subjective). I dont feel the difference riding on normal, well mainatined roads. I felt the difference on a back road I took with broken, cracked pavement, pebble rocks everywhere for about half a mile. I drove about 20mph and where the Armada absorbed it nicely, the Qx gave more of a "gliding" feeling and absorbed it a little better. Mind you this was with a QX with 20". I have a 2019 and thus far only issues have been the BCI malfunction where dealership had to update ecm. Also a battery drain issue that was caught early. Apart from that, no mechanical issue and solid build quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nissan to me has always had electrical issues and transmission issues from what i can remember them for other then that they make good cars and hearing abt the battery drain issue and BCI on a 2019 aramda sl which is a really old platform based on nissan patrol from 2010 shouldn't be having any of that.

And your right the 18in on the 2017 SV i had ride was floaty and it took bumps amazingly where the 2020 qx80 i drove had 20" felt heavy and also throttle was mapped for a smoother acceleration where the armada can push you back if you really step on it which i prefer but could it be the extra weight of the tires or hydraulic steering vs electric on armada ?

Also i thought the base SV and SL trim didn't have air suspension? Only platinum and reserve trim ? Becoz i didn't see any ride height controls on the armada i had. I rather have no air suspension and regular coils as easier and cheaper to fix down the line.

So far im leaning towards the aramda SV or SL i loved how nimble and easy it was to drive such a big vehicle the ride was a lil on a floaty side but for a daily driver or family suv i rather have that then better handling you dont buy a big suv for performance and handle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yup...that Air shock will be on all models with no difference in their operation at all. Unfortunately, no option to control height, etc like the 2021 Tahoe, Denali, Escalade (GM). I am finding more ppl removing those air shocks and either beefing up their cars for the overland look or for better offroad capabilities. Not certain what brands or models they are replacing those air shocks with but they are removing that completely and going with springs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard 2021 armada will be a face-lift and interior updates aswell waiting to see what all they change b4 i pull the trigger on one, i really hope they dont do the dual screens like the 2020 qx80 becoz its not easy to use and really makes it confusing inside as if your in a car or SUV to me the 2019 qx80 center console is way better gives it the old school feel

·
Registered
69 Posts
Best way to see the 2021 Armada would be to look at the updated 2020 Patrol. Interior will be like you've stated (dual screen / exactly like qx80). Engine and Suspension seems to be an exact carryover. Only change I saw was an available Eco button and a joy stick to control infotainment controls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea ive seen the 2020 patrol i like the exterior updates also not a fan of the armada rear lights and bumper looks weird the patrol even 2017 looks way better idk why they dont make them as nice looking here as other markets maybe becoz we have the infiniti brand ?

If they do exactly like the 2020 qx80 i might just buy a 2017 used and save bunch of money and later on when 2021 are cheaper update then.

Is there a difference between 2017 vs 2018 armada ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys im coming from the lexus and toyota brand family, i had the armada last week for about 2 days it was a base 2017 sv model, i was really impressed with the drive and how comfortable the ride was. Now i want to buy one and i understand the QX80 is basically the same truck besides different exterior only real difference i have came to know is that the QX80 uses hydraulic power steering vs electric on the armada and that the qx80 also has air suspension in the rear is the rest all the same ?

I also went to my local infiniti dealer and test drove a 2020 qx80 but it felt much heavier and the power delivery felt way different then the armada i had with 45k miles.

Was it due to the different power steering system that qx felt heavier? Also qx is rated at 400hp while armada is 390hp is it different tuning or could it be premium gas specs vs regular unleaded ?

I also didn't like the hood view of the qx from inside it just looked like a crossover or soccer mom type vehicle with its round arch type look where the armada has a flat proper big truck/suv type of view which i prefer on a full size suv.

Also the updated infotainment system with dual screen looks good but the functionality is more complicated while driving.

I plan on buying a used 2017 or 2018 sl trim or even a sv if the deal is good but really need memory seats which i believe is only on sl and up, so in the long term are these vehicles as reliable as Toyota or lexus lets say gx470 or land cruiser?

Thank you
I purchased a 2020 SL for my wife in November of 2019. I find it reliable as of this writing. She currently has driven 17,000 miles problem free. Fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts