Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Infiniti QX56 4WD.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2008 4wd QX56 with 122k on the odometer. I replaced the front shocks with Bilstein 4600s and new oem springs about 6 months ago. The front dampening and ride have improved nicely, but the rear still bottoms out over the smallest crack in the road and wallows on the highway. The air bags stay inflated for the most part and maybe dip about an inch if I don’t drive the truck for a couple of weeks(not my primary vehicle). The air system inflates as it should, but the rear feels un-settled and worn out.

Since I never tow and have no plans on towing, I’m considering installing the Arnott rear air conversion kit, and possibly swapping the shocks that come included with some Bilsteins too match the fronts (or as close as possible).
What should I expect as far as rear ride quality improvement and has anyone done this conversion?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
This comes up a lot! Im not sure how different the Infinity is from the Armada, but many here have deleted their air suspension with much improvement! I tow and I prefer this over my old air set up. Bilstein's are the way to go. You'll need stiffer springs too. See my signature line for the parts I used. Search the forum for "air delete" and many results should pop up.

Reactions: Silver08QX56

·
Registered
2008 Infiniti QX56 4WD.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This comes up a lot! Im not sure how different the Infinity is from the Armada, but many here have deleted their air suspension with much improvement! I tow and I prefer this over my old air set up. Bilstein's are the way to go. You'll need stiffer springs too. See my signature line for the parts I used. Search the forum for "air delete" and many results should pop up.
Thanks for the setup info. I’m actually torn in some ways. I may just replace the original air shocks and do an alignment , since the ride height and the compressor seem to be ok. My concerns if I do this are cost to go OEM and will this get rid of the bottom out? I also see on Arnott’s website the direct refurb air shocks as well.
There are so many routes to go.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
If your air compressor is working fine, then replacing the air shocks probably will improve handling. The inside of the air shock after all is still just a plain ol shock and wears out just like one.

·
Registered
2008 Infiniti QX56 4WD.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally put her in the shop. There is actually an issue with the compressor not inflating properly. After much consideration, I gave the go ahead to do the Strutmaster conversion. My mechanic stated that he has done several conversions and everyone was happy with the results. Since this isn’t my primary vehicle I will most likely keep it for another year or until this small investment pays for itself.

6/11/21 I ended up having the Strutmaster
(NA1RB)Air delete conversion kit installed. Apparently my old air shocks were completely blown out and I was basically riding on the springs, as I suspected. My new ride height actually looks about even or maybe an half inch higher than the front(New Oem Springs and Bilstein 4600s) end, which actually looks good to me.
My initial impression is that QX rides better( not dramatically however) with a more solid feel. Road bumps and medium potholes still are noticeable, but not as bad. Oddly I now have a slight floating feeling when braking coming from the rear. The ass-end sort of feels upsprung, whereas before It felt like I had a1000 lbs of bricks in the back lol. I’m hoping the new suspension parts will settle with time and the ride will soften up in short time. Fyi I’m running Michilen Defender LTX tires ,so I’m thinking the ride should now be smoother….. Right???

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts