Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i heard on freshalloy that the Qx has some kind of automatic downhill assist ill copy and paste the exact words. "Anyone else notice when you're going down a steep hill and start to put pressure on the brakes, the RPM's shoot way up to slow the car down?

This happens on my QX56 too. Just put your foot on the gas a little and the car returns to normal RPMs. The grade has to be pretty steep. I though this was a good idea for a large SUV, but a sports sedan that can stop in 120 ft from 60MPH? Maybe Infiniti programs this into all their models?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
Big SUV or sports sedan, this is a good feature. Let engine braking slow you down on steep grades rather than using up your brakes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
The Armada has the TOW MODE. When you engage it the Armada really down shifts hard on decellaration. When not engaged the Armada just coasts for better gas milage I suppose.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
604 Posts
I was experimenting with this feature the other day on my MADA and I noticed when I was cruising up to a bridge at 40mph and let go of the gas pedal on the way down the bridge, the torque coverter actually locked itself to slow down the truck. Once I slightly pressed on the gas, the lock was released.

Pretty cool feature. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
I think it's a horrible feature since I like to be able to control the weight shift of the vehicle, especially while cornering and/or in low traction conditions.

Why they think that a sudden weight shift is a good thing is beyond me.

Has anyone looked into disabling this "feature"?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
justsomeguy said:
I think it's a horrible feature since I like to be able to control the weight shift of the vehicle, especially while cornering and/or in low traction conditions.

Why they think that a sudden weight shift is a good thing is beyond me.

Has anyone looked into disabling this "feature"?
This is actually a great feature that I use everyday. There is no sudden weight shift. It simply downshifts if you are going downhill and hit the brake at the same time. It only kicks in for me when going around 50-60 down hill and I start riding the brake to control my speed. With it, I go 50mph down the hill, without it over 85mph.

I doubt you'd be going that fast downhill in low traction conditions on purpose, but if you did, this would save your behind.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
andy said:
This is actually a great feature that I use everyday. There is no sudden weight shift. It simply downshifts if you are going downhill and hit the brake at the same time. It only kicks in for me when going around 50-60 down hill and I start riding the brake to control my speed. With it, I go 50mph down the hill, without it over 85mph.

I doubt you'd be going that fast downhill in low traction conditions on purpose, but if you did, this would save your behind.
Uh, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.

Sudden and unexpected weight transfers to the front of the vehicle are not a good thing .

In low traction conditions when you're braking near the limits of adhesion this "feature" kicking in can cause the back end to get light and try to come around. Been there, done that.

And yes, in my experience there is a sudden weight shift which is a bda thing, especially when cornering in low traction conditions (snow/rain/ice).

I'm used to managing traction via the brake pedal and my throttle inputs. Sudden downshifts are really annoying and in some cases downright dangerous.

This poorly executed electronic nanny is nowhere near close to "saving my behind." Quite the contrary actually.

Cheers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
justsomeguy said:
Uh, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.

Sudden and unexpected weight transfers to the front of the vehicle are not a good thing .

In low traction conditions when you're braking near the limits of adhesion this "feature" kicking in can cause the back end to get light and try to come around. Been there, done that.

And yes, in my experience there is a sudden weight shift which is a bda thing, especially when cornering in low traction conditions (snow/rain/ice).

I'm used to managing traction via the brake pedal and my throttle inputs. Sudden downshifts are really annoying and in some cases downright dangerous.

This poorly executed electronic nanny is nowhere near close to "saving my behind." Quite the contrary actually.

Cheers.
You drive over 50-60mph through corners on ice downhill? I think you may be more interested in the Airbag feature.
Hey no peeing contest here. I like it, you don't. That's all good. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
andy said:
You drive over 50-60mph through corners on ice downhill?
Uh, nope.

I just don't like a clunky "assist feature" that upsets the trucks balance at the limits of adhesion.

While it might be an advantage for the soccer Mom crowd, people who are used to managing the weight distribution of their vehicles will find this "feature" too intrusive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
just some guy,

WHy did you buy the Armada then. Buy a Tahoe to get the reduced features.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
just some guy,

WHy did you buy the Armada then. Buy a Tahoe to get the reduced features.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
ockevin said:
just some guy,

WHy did you buy the Armada then. Buy a Tahoe to get the reduced features.
A few things to consider:

#1. I didn't buy an Armada. For more info about this look at the title of this sub-forum.

#2. Just because there are a few features that I dislike doesn't mean that the vehicle doesn't otherwise suit my needs.

I hope that helps you in your search for understanding.

Cheers.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top