Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 339 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Nissan service is a joke! They've sold you the vehicle, then they don't want to help you!

My ABS system engages for no reason. the first time it happened back in Feb 2005 I had 6250 miles on the truck. It just happened again on May 2, 2005 same thing for no reason. just driving along, go to break for a normal stop and the sound of grinding metal, spring popping sounds and the fact that I only have 30% - 40% of my breaking power when this happens is a nightmare. Luckly, no one has been hurt by me yet. The Nissan service tech tried to tell me that the white bumps/bubbles on the side of the road can trigger the ABS on the Armada???? Does this guy think I'm stupid???????
This is the 2nd time it's happened on a smooth surface and normal breaking. The first time they smoothed my rotors and replace the break pads and told me I was good to go. Well, less than 3 months later, it happened again. Has anyone else had a similar situation? I didn't spend $40,000. on a vehicle to go into ABS for some unexplained reason. I felt safer in my little rollerskate rental car I had gotten!! HELLLPPPP! I am a ticking time bomb on the road and I'm at my wits end!! I have hired an attorney for this now. I hope my car doesn't act up with your family on the road!! Buyers Beware!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
910 Posts
Just wondering (due to your username) - are you a troll?

There have been no widespread issues with ABS on the Titans or Armadas. I would suggest visiting your dealer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
adjmcloon said:
Just wondering (due to your username) - are you a troll?

There have been no widespread issues with ABS on the Titans or Armadas. I would suggest visiting your dealer.
Username, Troll?? Visited local dealer twice, as defined in my post. :dork:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
910 Posts
Just checking. Your username is pretty hostile to Armadas, and despite various issues, we're a pro-Armada forum for the most part.

Again, your ABS issue isn't common, so I guess if the dealer can't fix it then you should find another dealer or seek help from your state's lemon law or BBB arbitration.

Good luck, and :moon:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Deathtrap is a little strong for the problem you're having. Are you sure you're not hitting black ice, gravel, even potholes? ABS is supposed to kick in when there is a difference in rotational speed in any one wheel to the other three.

Can you describe better what is happening? It sounds like your ABS is doing exactly what ABS is supposed to do. There is an increase in stopping distance when ABS kicks in because it's modulating the wheel from locking up. Or releasing the brake and braking again 60 times per second trying to regain traction.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
andy said:
Deathtrap is a little strong for the problem you're having. Are you sure you're not hitting black ice, gravel, even potholes? ABS is supposed to kick in when there is a difference in rotational speed in any one wheel to the other three.

Can you describe better what is happening? It sounds like your ABS is doing exactly what ABS is supposed to do. There is an increase in stopping distance when ABS kicks in because it's modulating the wheel from locking up. Or releasing the brake and braking again 60 times per second trying to regain traction.


Deathtrap = I had to brake for a red light... I didn't stop!! I LOVED my Armada!!! Now, I'm afraid of it. I DON'T WANT TO HURT SOMEONE.

The ABS should NOT engage for "normal" breaking, I wasn't putting my foot through the floor...NOT even close, just a routine expected stop that landed me and my 5000lb truck close the the middle of an intersection. I was traveling at 25 miles per hour.

I understand first hand that this isn't an everyday experience for Armada drivers, HOWEVER it is my experience and I read one other on the nhsta website.

I was on a flat surface, no potholes, no hill, no bumps, no black ice. ABS went off without warning twice. I wish I had the answers so I didn't have to resort to message boards.

Good luck to everyone with your Armadas... I'm sure your fixes will be coming soon. I hope this doesn't happen to me again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
I agree, that would be pretty scary. Well, I guess that kind of sucks. I mean the dealer will probably say they can't reproduce the problem and give you a blank look. I mean they won't even agree that my front bumper is .5" lower on the right side. I even brought a ruler with me to show them.

It does sound like a serious problem. I'd try to get Nissan to replace the braking system including the ABS electronics. And make sure the sensors are replaced too.

Back to the name Armadadeathtrap, I'm a bit superstitious. That would be kind of asking for it to me. Just my opinion only. I mean if I truly felt that way, there's no way I'd be hauling around my family in it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
Armadadeathtrap said:
First off, Nissan service is a joke! They've sold you the vehicle, then they don't want to help you!

My ABS system engages for no reason. the first time it happened back in Feb 2005 I had 6250 miles on the truck. It just happened again on May 2, 2005 same thing for no reason. just driving along, go to break for a normal stop and the sound of grinding metal, spring popping sounds and the fact that I only have 30% - 40% of my breaking power when this happens is a nightmare. Luckly, no one has been hurt by me yet. The Nissan service tech tried to tell me that the white bumps/bubbles on the side of the road can trigger the ABS on the Armada???? Does this guy think I'm stupid???????
This is the 2nd time it's happened on a smooth surface and normal breaking. The first time they smoothed my rotors and replace the break pads and told me I was good to go. Well, less than 3 months later, it happened again. Has anyone else had a similar situation? I didn't spend $40,000. on a vehicle to go into ABS for some unexplained reason. I felt safer in my little rollerskate rental car I had gotten!! HELLLPPPP! I am a ticking time bomb on the road and I'm at my wits end!! I have hired an attorney for this now. I hope my car doesn't act up with your family on the road!! Buyers Beware!
I have had the same problem you describe. It took me three times to try to get it fixed. The problem I had was that whe I turned off the USV the problem wnet away. thus the dealer was unable to diagnose the problem. Finnaly I took the SUV with the problem and had the dealer test drive with the problem and they pluged a computer to the SUVs computer and got an error code " DELTA S SEN [C1179]" P/# 47660-7S020 ". My service revords has the following work done: 47210-ZC010 MASTER VAC ASSY & 999MP-A4100P BRAKE FLUID DO.

My problem was exactly as you mentioned a Metal spring noise with little ressitance feel on the brake pedal. Hope it does not happen again now. Hope this helps you fix your problem. The key is to take the SUV with the problem and have them place the DIAG to the COMPUTER with out turnining of the SUV.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
I feel your pain. I have had the exact same problem twice. The first time I had no idea what was going on. I was doing ~15 mph down a residential street and the brake light went on and there was popping and grinding and a springing noise. I took it in and they said they could not duplicate it. After a lot of fighting with them they replaced a bunch of brake equipment and the master cylinder. Today in a parking lot the same thing happened. No warning. Nearly no stopping power. I had to take the back roads home to make it safely. I have had this big piece of c*$% in 3 other time for other brake problems. Now I am seeking a lawyer. DId I mention the fact that the A/C blows hot air for at least 10-12mins. :mad:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
Dude, (RONBON34) :censor: unless you have experienced this type of fear, you have no right giving commentary. I live in phx where it is 115degrees. No black ice here. No pot holes. This was an ABS malfunction without warning. Will it take something like someone dying for Nissan to admit they have a major brake issue with these vehicles? Does the word Crown Vic ring any bells?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
Brakes??? yes, please

I came to this site hoping for some answers. I was releaved to read your issue and know I'm not alone. I was the first Armada off the lot in 2003 and I love my 2004 Armada. In August of this year, I took it in for routine service and they told me there was a recall on my braking system and it needed replacing. The work was completed... 4 days later my brakes failed. Driving in a residential area, with normal braking, and my brake pedal crunched to the floor making horrible noise. The vehicle only stopped with the pedal to the floor and then locked up in the process. I had to nurse myself out of the roadway. The dealership examined my brakes and told me "nothing appears to be wrong and it must have been a one time clitch". I drove my truck for 2 more months before the issue arose again. Once again, I was left dodging traffic as my vehicle failed to stop. It is currently at the dealership and they are telling me nothing is wrong with my braking system. I felt comfortable buying the vehicle, without a track record, because of my previous good experience with my Pathfinder and I loved the new safety features... but if the brakes don't work, I can't put my family in it and I'm out a lot of money. :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
497 Posts
Take it to the next level

armadaamy said:
I came to this site hoping for some answers. I was releaved to read your issue and know I'm not alone. I was the first Armada off the lot in 2003 and I love my 2004 Armada. In August of this year, I took it in for routine service and they told me there was a recall on my braking system and it needed replacing. The work was completed... 4 days later my brakes failed. Driving in a residential area, with normal braking, and my brake pedal crunched to the floor making horrible noise. The vehicle only stopped with the pedal to the floor and then locked up in the process. I had to nurse myself out of the roadway. The dealership examined my brakes and told me "nothing appears to be wrong and it must have been a one time clitch". I drove my truck for 2 more months before the issue arose again. Once again, I was left dodging traffic as my vehicle failed to stop. It is currently at the dealership and they are telling me nothing is wrong with my braking system. I felt comfortable buying the vehicle, without a track record, because of my previous good experience with my Pathfinder and I loved the new safety features... but if the brakes don't work, I can't put my family in it and I'm out a lot of money. :eek:
If it were just judder I would say hang in there, but apparently you have some serious safety issues. Call Nissan, and if they won't help then call a lawyer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
armadaamy said:
I came to this site hoping for some answers. I was releaved to read your issue and know I'm not alone. I was the first Armada off the lot in 2003 and I love my 2004 Armada. In August of this year, I took it in for routine service and they told me there was a recall on my braking system and it needed replacing. The work was completed... 4 days later my brakes failed. Driving in a residential area, with normal braking, and my brake pedal crunched to the floor making horrible noise. The vehicle only stopped with the pedal to the floor and then locked up in the process. I had to nurse myself out of the roadway. The dealership examined my brakes and told me "nothing appears to be wrong and it must have been a one time clitch". I drove my truck for 2 more months before the issue arose again. Once again, I was left dodging traffic as my vehicle failed to stop. It is currently at the dealership and they are telling me nothing is wrong with my braking system. I felt comfortable buying the vehicle, without a track record, because of my previous good experience with my Pathfinder and I loved the new safety features... but if the brakes don't work, I can't put my family in it and I'm out a lot of money. :eek:

My Armada is in the shop right now (three weeks and waiting). I had the same thing you are descirbing. Apparently it is an anti-lock sensor that has malfunctioned. There are three other Armadas with the same symptoms sitting beside me at the dealership. According to the dealer, there is a national backorder on this part (sounds like a recall to me).

Really wierd that I, too, had my rotors and brakes replaced and the next day that part went out. I took it back to the dealership and they said it must have been a fluke. Drove for 6 weeks and problem came back. Now I am playing the waiting game.

Needless to say, I am a very impatient girl!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
I'm not alone

ronbon35 said:
I have had the same problem you describe. It took me three times to try to get it fixed. The problem I had was that whe I turned off the USV the problem wnet away. thus the dealer was unable to diagnose the problem. Finnaly I took the SUV with the problem and had the dealer test drive with the problem and they pluged a computer to the SUVs computer and got an error code " DELTA S SEN [C1179]" P/# 47660-7S020 ". My service revords has the following work done: 47210-ZC010 MASTER VAC ASSY & 999MP-A4100P BRAKE FLUID DO.

My problem was exactly as you mentioned a Metal spring noise with little ressitance feel on the brake pedal. Hope it does not happen again now. Hope this helps you fix your problem. The key is to take the SUV with the problem and have them place the DIAG to the COMPUTER with out turnining of the SUV.
That is exactly the problem I face with my 2004 Armada. Service replaced the rotors and six weeks ago they replaced the ABS module?. Last Saturday the problem recurred. Breke light goes on and the spring noise heard. The problem goes away when turning off the ingnition.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
547 Posts
Wow, How many of you guys have been lurking before you decided to reveal this problem to us. First off I have to say thats pretty scary that all of you waited till now to say anything about this. I figured when I read deathtraps post that would be the only one then as I read along it was two, then three, then four...damn...now you got me worried. It seems to me that there maybe a serious defieffiency with the vac assy and/or fluid system. Please if there are anymore of you out there who haven't said anything now is the time to speak up and post your experience. Please give detailed information on whatever the dealer does incl. part numbers to "fix" this issue.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Feel free to make whatever name you want but be prepared to deal with the consequences when people here don't appreciate it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
Add my name to this list....I just experienced it this weekend. It was the second time the Mada accted up.....the first time was when my wife was driving by herself. I was in my neighborhood when this happened so I wasn't driving that fast. The symtoms are exactly what you described crunching and spring noise with loss of breaking power....has anyone determined what this is? Nissan could have some serious law suits with this one if they don't find out and correct this one....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
58 Posts
Hey Armadadeathtrap, did you ever get it fixed? I had a similar problem with mine - it wasn't the ABS, it was just that the brake pedal collapsed and I couldn't stop. After they gave it back to me saying it was fixed, it happened again. You are right - unless this has happened to you, you don't know the fear. The second time they towed it in, Nissan jumped on it sending out technicians from California to Atlanta. They had that car fixed. It was my master cylinder, it had "debris" in it. That was 2 years ago and the brakes have worked perfect since. I was exactly like you, I was scared to death to drive it. I'm helping a man right now trying to get his fixed - his is the same problem mine was, and I'm beginning to believe that it will take someone getting killed before the dealerships will believe what we are telling them. Anyway, mine is fixed and I haven't had any more brake issues and I never had any other problems with it. It's the best car I've ever owned and now I love it again. Good luck to you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
Well...the Mada started doing it again today and I drove it straight to the dealer. Kept it running so the tech could hear the problem. He said it was caused by dirt in the line which caused a valve or something in the ABS actuator to hang. He ordered a new ABS actuator today.....after I have the repair I will post the results. Hopefully it will fix the problem. Also, as a side note the tech did say that a hard break like an emergency stop could dislodge the dirt, and he felt that it was still safe to drive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
I could see debris being a problem, but that isn't prevalent or indemic to the vehicle. In fact, this is the first I've heard of it, including tens of thousands of titans with the same system. Sounds pretty isolated. As for the real brake problems, they were on the '04 and most '05s and were warping rotors. Nissan replaced these under warranty and it wasn't a danger, just a hassle. Sounds like you got the new rotors and pads like everyone elses. As far as safety, our brakes are just as safe as any other vehicle and we do have the shortest stopping distances of all vehicles in the class. In fact, the armada stops in a shorter distance than the Honda Accord does. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
I could see debris being a problem, but that isn't prevalent or indemic to the vehicle. In fact, this is the first I've heard of it, including tens of thousands of titans with the same system. Sounds pretty isolated. As for the real brake problems, they were on the '04 and most '05s and were warping rotors. Nissan replaced these under warranty and it wasn't a danger, just a hassle. Sounds like you got the new rotors and pads like everyone elses. As far as safety, our brakes are just as safe as any other vehicle and we do have the shortest stopping distances of all vehicles in the class. In fact, the armada stops in a shorter distance than the Honda Accord does. ;)

I would tend to agree with you on this being an isolated case. However, there are some posts from others who have experienced the very same thing I have. I know the first time it happend to me it scared the hell out of me. However, this last time I was determine to break something in order to show the dealer there was a problem. I did some really hard breaking and I was able to stop the vehicle comfortably, but with some very loud and strange noises.
 
1 - 20 of 339 Posts
Top