Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Armada Platinum is about ready for a new battery. Has anyone replaced a 2017 or newer and if so, do you need to connect a battery tender to maintain power to the PCM while swapping the old one out? Just don’t want to cause radio or computer problems while the power is disconnected. Thanks, DennisC

·
Administrator
6,335 Posts
if power is removed you will lose those memory functions so yes you need to maintain 12 volts to ensure you keep those presets, etc..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven’t decided yet. I have six vehicles and have always had great success (life) using Die Hard. Just replaced a Motorcraft that died 3 weeks after full replacement warranty expired at 36 months. I use battery tenders on six vehicles. Generally I get 7 years from every battery. Just seems the OEM stuff doesn’t last.any suggestions. Doesn’t seem like a lot of choices out there for an Armada.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Can't go wrong with Odyssey or Northstar. Same ownership now.
We have really good luck with Deka at work in our PV systems and heavy equipment.

There is a thread on here somewhere discussing the Northstar and Odyssey options for the Armada.

·
Administrator
6,335 Posts
i ran odyssey in my qx and it was a beast! highly recommend that based on my excellent experience with it over the years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't go wrong with Odyssey or Northstar. Same ownership now.
We have really good luck with Deka at work in our PV systems and heavy equipment.

There is a thread on here somewhere discussing the Northstar and Odyssey options for the Armada.
thanks. The one that keeps coming up as a recommended battery is Duralast.

Thanks to everyone that offered their thoughts. I‘m in Southwest Florida and it’s looking like the best availability and deal by far is the Everstart Maxx 27 (Walmart Brand). Exceeds OEM 780 CCA and is rated 810 CCA and made by Johnson Controls who is the worlds largest battery manufacturer...aka Optima, Red Top, and many industrial batteries. Plus easy to find a Walmart for warranty issues.

·
Registered
296 Posts
In a warm climate I don't see an issue.

I have an Everstart marine deep cycle on my PV system for my shed. Going on 4 years. Also Everstart as my camper house battery going on 4 years.

I'm still going with an Odyssey or NS when the Armada needs it.

·
Registered
2010 Platinum 2wd Navy over Black leather
33 Posts
We have the need for a new battery & was curious what everyone feels is the best?
I've read that the Odyssey Extreme Series Battery ODX-AGM65 (65-PC1750T), Die Hard Platinum, Optima Red Top 34r seem to be go to. Am I missing another kind?

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Northstar AGM (closing in on 4 years on the QX80) is another to consider.

A couple weekends ago, we were at the local Sams Club at Secaucus, NJ. For half of what Northstar, Odyssey charges for their AGM batteries, Duracell has an AGM lineup as well.

·
Administrator
6,335 Posts
We have the need for a new battery & was curious what everyone feels is the best?
I've read that the Odyssey Extreme Series Battery ODX-AGM65 (65-PC1750T), Die Hard Platinum, Optima Red Top 34r seem to be go to. Am I missing another kind?
there is no one "best" battery, but there are several POOR batteries. :)

my preferred choice is the Odyssey:

built like a tank and i can honestly say it was worth every penny.

there will be lots of opinions (just smoke over this thread) and personal experiences from many here but this ons and what primo suggested are good starting points.

·
Registered
2010 Platinum 2wd Navy over Black leather
33 Posts
@marctronixx Yeah sorry, should've tagged you. Well unfortunately I don't think I could wait til ~Mon to get an Odyssey. Best I can find local right now is Optima Yellow Group Size 27F Top Post Battery. $334

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
@marctronixx Yeah sorry, should've tagged you. Well unfortunately I don't think I could wait til ~Mon to get an Odyssey. Best I can find local right now is Optima Yellow Group Size 27F Top Post Battery. $334
Optima batteries aren’t what they used to be. They’re definitely not worth the asking price(s). For that price, I’d look elsewhere. Even Rock Auto sells AGM batteries that very competitively priced. Also, the Z62/Y62 trucks have the + /- posts on opposite sides when compared to batteries for first gen WA/JA60 trucks.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
296 Posts
Odyssey or Northstar.

In a pinch, find a shop with a Deka.

If you're in an area with golf carts or boats a lot of those dealers stock a large variety of batteries that you won't find in the auto parts stores.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my 2019 SL since April of this year, only 44k miles on it now and it has been great since then... until last week. I started with the BCI Malfunction and then not starting shortly after that. So I swapped the brake pedal switch and that resolved the BCI Malfunction and not starting issue. Then earlier this week I had jump start it twice as all I got was clicking sounds indicating that battery didn't have enough charge. First jump start was with AAA and at that time I ordered a Hulkman A85 off Amazon.

Then it was fine for a few days as I drove it around and made sure I broke at least 10 miles each time. Then last night I couldn't get it to turn over again so I used the amazon purchased Hulkman jump starter which worked like a champ and now has a permanent place in the Armada going forward. I feel like I'm back in high school having to keep tools in the trunk to get me home again.

I only have the factory powertrain warranty left and I would expect that the dealership will not look at the issue, even through it appears to be common, without charging me diagnostic and other made up fees before we even consider a battery swap. Has anyone swapped their battery on the Armada with similar issues, if so, what did you go with? Right now I'm thinking about picking up one from AutoZone. Specifically the Duralast Gold Battery 27-DLG Group Size 27 810 CCA, since AutoZone is closer to me than any other auto parts place.

Given that its a 2019 with a build date in 2018 and no markings on the top of the battery indicating manufacturing date; I'm assuming either a 2017 or 2018 build date for the battery. This would put the battery at 3 - 4 years old and its always been in a colder climate (New England) it is possible that the battery could be on the way out and warrants
Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot
a change.

This is what I'm thinking of getting based on AutoZone's recommendation for the vehicle specifically.

Battery Link:

Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts