Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while I was driving suddenly the BCI malfunction light came ON. I had to turn the engine off and fire it up again to make it go away. Anyone have this come up? Not sure why it popped up. Backup camera and sonar is functional.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
We have the same issue. Unfortunately, it comes on while driving and everything on the cluster goes crazy. Have to pull over and turn engine off and wait a couple minutes, then crank back up

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
We took our Armada into the dealer for multiple issues, but their response to the BCI Malfunction issue was..."It's supposed to do that" HAHA. They said it happens when you change lanes or make a turn without using a turn signal...seriously????Told them that we can feel it coming on because the brakes start to automatically apply repeatedly and then every single light on the cluster comes on and the car stops. We then have to turn the car off, wait a minute, then crank back up and it's fine. They also said that we shouldn't turn the car off cause they can't read the history in the computer....not sure what they expect us to do!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
your dealer is misinformed. thats NOT how its supposed to work.

if you have any codes at the obd port, they should still be there after key off.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Can a code reader be plugged up the the Armada without erasing the code history? I would like to get a reader but the dealer mentioned that it will erase the history and therefore they would not be able to retrieve it to diagnose anything when it's brought in

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread - my 2018 is doing this and will reset with a key cycle... sitting at dealership now. Anybody have any resolutions to post?

Sorry to revive an old thread - my 2018 is doing this and will reset with a key cycle... sitting at dealership now. Anybody have any resolutions to post?
So, I left out one detail that also started happening when the BCI Malfunction started - The truck would occasionally only go into ACC mode when we would try to start. The BCI issue was occurring at least once a day.

Apparently, they found that the brake switch was bad,so they replaced it. And, it's been over a week and about 1600 miles (road trip) and no more codes..

So, I left out one detail that also started happening when the BCI Malfunction started - The truck would occasionally only go into ACC mode when we would try to start. The BCI issue was occurring at least once a day.

Apparently, they found that the brake switch was bad,so they replaced it. And, it's been over a week and about 1600 miles (road trip) and no more codes..
For reference, here is the part # for the brake switch that was replaced - 25320-AX-10A SWITCH ASSY-STOP

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Old thread, ongoing issue, I have the same issue with my 18 Armada, except we found out about it because my wife couldn't get the vehicle to start, it went into ACC mode. after a bunch of self diagnostics i decided to jump start it, didn't think it would work, but the truck did start, and that is when the dash started going crazy. drove it around the block and back home, shut it off and tarted it back up and everything cleared up. Now i occasionally get BCI malfunction, that clears after restarting. I just don't feel like having Nissan service jerking me around, that's why i haven't brought it in yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
Why do you think they will jerk you around on this since you see its been an issue with some other folks?

Find someone with a scanner and pull the codes. Then cross reference the codes with an online search. This will give you ammunition and educate you on what the issues are and what the shop needs to address.

If you are handy with replacing parts and can read the service diagram, why not just buy the part listed in this thread, install it yourself. I’m not sure how involved it would be but if you can mange it.... :)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Why do you think they will jerk you around on this since you see its been an issue with some other folks?

Find someone with a scanner and pull the codes. Then cross reference the codes with an online search. This will give you ammunition and educate you on what the issues are and what the shop needs to address.

If you are handy with replacing parts and can read the service diagram, why not just buy the part listed in this thread, install it yourself. I’m not sure how involved it would be but if you can mange it.... :)
This is a 2018 Armada with 6k miles, which should be covered under warranty. Just saying if you going to sell a vehicle for 60K it should be more reliable, and don't jerk you customers around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today while I was driving suddenly the BCI malfunction light came ON. I had to turn the engine off and fire it up again to make it go away. Anyone have this come up? Not sure why it popped up. Backup camera and sonar is functional.
Just left the dealership. Here’s what happens. The sonar sensor is a box behind the front bumper. If it gets obstructed in anyway. Mud, road debris, lots of water! Or a bug splat it can block the sensor causing the issue. Paid a lot of money to learn that.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Update

So since my first post about the BCI malfunction, it has happened and additional 4 times, with twice leaving me stranded on the side of the road, because the vehicle would not start. So i eventually made an appointment at the dealership, they had the vehicle for 6 hours trying to diagnose the problem to no avail. They did not find any codes and they could not replicate the problem. I figured i might escalate things so i reached out to Nissan North America, they basically told me that they rely on the dealership and go with their recommendation, and if they say they cannot find any issue then that is what they are going to go with. Now i am basically stuck with a $60,000 piece of junk that could leave me on the side of the road anytime. I think my next step is to research Lemon law and file a case, because there is no reason for me to have a brand new vehicle with 7000 miles leaving me stranded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have same issue BCI malfunction this is my 4th time since I owned the car when it comes on the dash lights up then next time I shut off the car it does not start. 1st time Nissian has no idea what caused it changed my battery told me my battery was bad. Second they changed the brake switch. 3rd time they said the brake switch must have been bad and changed it agin. Now 4th time after calling Nissian North America and opening a case they parachute some master mechanic in who claims he can’t replicate the problem and can not recommend any fix at this time. 20 minutes after I hear this from my case owner the dealer calls me and said they figured it out. It’s the ABS braking system and it’s 4k plus I should call my case owner and ask if they will honer it under warranty since they believe this was the issue all along. I explained to my case owner how does the mechanic fly in and have nothing and now the dealer claims they have figured it out. Still they won’t fix it they like me to put my family back in a vechical that they now believe has an ABS braking issue and historically leaves me stranded in a car that won’t start. Most expensive piece of junk never buy another Nissian every again. Contacted a Lawyer hoping they can help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just bought a 2017 Nissan Armada last month. Today my wife tried to start it and it wouldn’t start for about 5 minutes. Once it finally started the BCI Malfunction warning light turned on along with other lights. I searched the issue and found this thread. After reading the thread I’m a bit panicked. I called the dealership and they said they’ve never heard of the BCI Malfunction. Which was not good news to hear. Since you’ve all been through this issue, what do I need to tell the dealership to look for when diagnosing and fixing this issue?

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
First off dont let the idiot lights scare you.

The first thing you need to do is pull any codes off the OBD port. The car will tell you what’s wrong with it. I’d rather you go that route first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off dont let the idiot lights scare you.

The first thing you need to do is pull any codes off the OBD port. The car will tell you what’s wrong with it. I’d rather you go that route first.
Where would I go to get that done? Just any auto zone or what? Also, I won’t know what to do with the car when I find out what code it is. If I take it to the dealer, they won’t care if I tell them what code I got they will want to charge me the $90 diagnosis fee no matter what.

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
go to auto zone or a reputable shop. they will scan the port and give you the codes. you can search the internet or come here and post and we can give you ideas.

but don't panic about the idiot lamps. they are just a heads up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
go to auto zone or a reputable shop. they will scan the port and give you the codes. you can search the internet or come here and post and we can give you ideas.

but don't panic about the idiot lamps. they are just a heads up.
The warning light went away, but it still won’t start up on the first try. I took it to autozone and they show no code whatsoever on the car. Now I’m even more confused.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
About this Discussion
64 Replies
25 Participants
garydtd
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing