Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for answers to BCI malfunction issue in 2018 Nissan Armada Reserve Platinum 18049 miles (yes I drive a lot) BCI Malfunction light comes in randomly and all the cruise and warning systems stop working. Occasionally the car will not start and I have to let off the brake and reapply then it will start. I notice this is happening more when leaving a drive through or have to stop short. I plan to take to the dealership ASAP. Wondering if anyone else can give some insight to discuss while there?

Looking for answers to BCI malfunction issue in 2018 Nissan Armada Reserve Platinum 18049 miles (yes I drive a lot) BCI Malfunction light comes in randomly and all the cruise and warning systems stop working. Occasionally the car will not start and I have to let off the brake and reapply then it will start. I notice this is happening more when leaving a drive through or have to stop short. I plan to take to the dealership ASAP. Wondering if anyone else can give some insight to discuss while there?
20828960-5E06-452C-9776-6BBFFA0A22D4.jpeg

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
There's been a lot of talk in this thread about it, including what Nissan has done to those vehicles to hopefully fix it. Hopefully this will give you some information that you can use when bringing it up to the dealer...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update

So since my first post about the BCI malfunction, it has happened and additional 4 times, with twice leaving me stranded on the side of the road, because the vehicle would not start. So i eventually made an appointment at the dealership, they had the vehicle for 6 hours trying to diagnose the problem to no avail. They did not find any codes and they could not replicate the problem. I figured i might escalate things so i reached out to Nissan North America, they basically told me that they rely on the dealership and go with their recommendation, and if they say they cannot find any issue then that is what they are going to go with. Now i am basically stuck with a $60,000 piece of junk that could leave me on the side of the road anytime. I think my next step is to research Lemon law and file a case, because there is no reason for me to have a brand new vehicle with 7000 miles leaving me stranded.
I’m in the same boat as you. Brand new armada and having same issue. Car breaks when leaving parking lot have to shut suv off then turn it back on

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer repaired it under warranty, all good
What did they do to repair it?

BCI light came on while I was driving on the highway a couple of days ago. It didn't come back on after I restarted my car. I had an appointment at the dealership the next morning for oil change & told them about it. They told me they couldn't do anything since the light wasn't still on, but to come back if it came on again.

And mine is 2018 platinum with 16,000 miles

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
What did they do to repair it?

BCI light came on while I was driving on the highway a couple of days ago. It didn't come back on after I restarted my car. I had an appointment at the dealership the next morning for oil change & told them about it. They told me they couldn't do anything since the light wasn't still on, but to come back if it came on again.

And mine is 2018 platinum with 16,000 miles
I took a picture of my dash and printed it out and took it to the dealer. They said it was a faulty indicator, they replaced it, problem solved.

print out the picture from post 8

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took a picture of my dash and printed it out and took it to the dealer. They said it was a faulty indicator, they replaced it, problem solved.

print out the picture from post 8
I took a picture too and showed it them. They still told me it had to be on for them, which annoyed me since it's a pretty new vehicle. Maybe I'll take it to another dealer if mine won't at least look into it.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Call a few other dealer service centers. go with one that is aware of this.

also, tape a printout to your dash so the mechanic sees it. it shouldn't happen, but the mechanic may not have seen the printout. whether it's for a mower or vehicle, i write out the problem, make a copy and keep one with the vehicle and hand the other to the scheduler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happened again on the way in to get the oil change this morning. Showed up at the dealership with the indicator light and dash still lit up and engine running. Service manager said they would have to reproduce the light in order to address the problem.
That is correct. The service manager was looking at the defective car running in all its underwhelming glory. "I can't do anything unless we can replicate the problem" is the only response.
While the oil was being changed the tech found an improperly installed brake pedal switch. It was reinstalled and he said it would fix the problem. They refused to look at the indicator. This has been twice while driving at highway speed with less than 10k on my 2019 Armada.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 nissan armada platinium has 70,000 Mile's on it so no warranty and having same problem with the bci, vehicle not wanting to come out of park and push start not wanting to work. I just bought this vehicle back in April I paid 36,000 cash and I'm so upset for I used my savings to buy. I turned off the bci hoping that will stop the issue, but if it dosent if anyone actually knows what had to be fixed on it please let me know since I have no warranty and is all coming out of my pocket. I should have token the Toyota Sequoia instead , but the Atmada was newer and liked the color.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, looks like I found this discussion because I also have the BCI malfunction indicator with many lights one the dash. I have a 2019 Armada Platinum Reserved that I purchased June 13, 2019 and have 7,000 miles on it. The other day while driving down the highway all the warnings and message came on. Called the dealer to schedule apt for the next morning. That evening though I stopped to fill up with gas and my car wouldn't turn back on. I was stranded with my 3 kids at the gas station and roadside assistance was going to take at least 75 min to get to us. I called my sales person furious who passed me to someone more helpful in the service department. They told me to keep trying to start the car while I was waiting. After about 10-15 min of non stop trying to start the car while waiting it all of a sudden turned on. The service advisor said that it is something to do with the brake and that I have to trick the brake to start the car. I called and cancelled the tow service. 5 minutes later I hadn't turned off my car but had to put it in park and could not get it out of park. After trying for about another 5 min I was able to get it out of park to drive it home (this was all happening right at 7 when service dept closed so couldn't make it in time). The next morning it took another 15 min to get the armada to start. Drove it straight to my dealer and it was ready by early afternoon. They replaced the brake switch. After picking up my armada as soon as I left the dealership the BCI malfunction light turned back on so I turned around and drove it right back. Left it again and picked it up the next day around lunch. This time they replaced the brake sensor and test drove it more. They said usually they just drive it around the dealership parking lot a couple times. I asked if they tried turning it off and on and driving and he assured me they did. This time I drove about 3 miles from the dealership before the BCI malfunction light came back on. Back to the dealership I went. So basically a couple of days off work and the 4th time in for service in 2 days. I have contacted Nissan use and was told someone will get in touch with me. Armada is still in for service but at this point I have a new car that is 2 1/2 months old that I have no faith or confidence in. I am exploring lemon law options at this time and hope Nissan makes this right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I have an update for you guys, this BCI malfunction as you can read in my last post was resolved in my 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum by replacing the brake light switch, yes that simple, well the one I bought a few months ago went bad too, so off to the dealership I go again, remember my Armada was 500 miles outside of the warranty and well I had to pay like $60+ for a replacement switch. Now same story, but here's where if you are out of warranty it might be helpful, the switch itself is a simple contact type switch, I took it apart and was able to see that some contacts had become dirty and that would explain the intermittent performance. I sanded the contacts that had some build up on them and cleaned out the dirty dielectric grease, then a further cleaning. Finally prior to assembly I applied new dielectric grease and put some on the contact shaft to prevent dust from getting into the switch, installed it back into the truck, and the codes are gone and everything is working as it should.

Screenshot_20190909-160548.png
Screenshot_20190909-160557.png
So long story short if you have this issue and are on a pinch or just don't want to deal with the dealer, here is the DIY fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, looks like I found this discussion because I also have the BCI malfunction indicator with many lights one the dash. I have a 2019 Armada Platinum Reserved that I purchased June 13, 2019 and have 7,000 miles on it. The other day while driving down the highway all the warnings and message came on. Called the dealer to schedule apt for the next morning. That evening though I stopped to fill up with gas and my car wouldn't turn back on. I was stranded with my 3 kids at the gas station and roadside assistance was going to take at least 75 min to get to us. I called my sales person furious who passed me to someone more helpful in the service department. They told me to keep trying to start the car while I was waiting. After about 10-15 min of non stop trying to start the car while waiting it all of a sudden turned on. The service advisor said that it is something to do with the brake and that I have to trick the brake to start the car. I called and cancelled the tow service. 5 minutes later I hadn't turned off my car but had to put it in park and could not get it out of park. After trying for about another 5 min I was able to get it out of park to drive it home (this was all happening right at 7 when service dept closed so couldn't make it in time). The next morning it took another 15 min to get the armada to start. Drove it straight to my dealer and it was ready by early afternoon. They replaced the brake switch. After picking up my armada as soon as I left the dealership the BCI malfunction light turned back on so I turned around and drove it right back. Left it again and picked it up the next day around lunch. This time they replaced the brake sensor and test drove it more. They said usually they just drive it around the dealership parking lot a couple times. I asked if they tried turning it off and on and driving and he assured me they did. This time I drove about 3 miles from the dealership before the BCI malfunction light came back on. Back to the dealership I went. So basically a couple of days off work and the 4th time in for service in 2 days. I have contacted Nissan use and was told someone will get in touch with me. Armada is still in for service but at this point I have a new car that is 2 1/2 months old that I have no faith or confidence in. I am exploring lemon law options at this time and hope Nissan makes this right.
So far Nissan has replaced brake switch - drove a mile out of dealership and BCI malfunction came on again, took it back right away and they replaced the brake sensor, picked it up and drove about 3 miles and bci malfunction came on again. This time the dealer picked it up from my place of work. They have now had the armada for 4 days and have replaced the front collision sensor. At this point the mechanic is driving it and if it doesn't come on again they said its ready again. Will the third repair in less than a week be the charm?? Waiting on response still from Nissan usa as I am requesting that they buy back my vehicle since its less than 3 months old and was purchased new

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Well I have an update for you guys, this BCI malfunction as you can read in my last post was resolved in my 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum by replacing the brake light switch, yes that simple, well the one I bought a few months ago went bad too, so off to the dealership I go again, remember my Armada was 500 miles outside of the warranty and well I had to pay like $60+ for a replacement switch. Now same story, but here's where if you are out of warranty it might be helpful, the switch itself is a simple contact type switch, I took it apart and was able to see that some contacts had become dirty and that would explain the intermittent performance. I sanded the contacts that had some build up on them and cleaned out the dirty dielectric grease, then a further cleaning. Finally prior to assembly I applied new dielectric grease and put some on the contact shaft to prevent dust from getting into the switch, installed it back into the truck, and the codes are gone and everything is working as it should.

View attachment 47919 View attachment 47919 View attachment 47920 View attachment 47920 So long story short if you have this issue and are on a pinch or just don't want to deal with the dealer, here is the DIY fix.
That part should have had a warranty. Isn't the parts warranty 12 months?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

There should be a 12 no 12k mile warranty on any parts installed by the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There should be a 12 no 12k mile warranty on any parts installed by the dealer.

I bought it at a different dealership on a different town, and yesterday went to my local dealership, unfortunately I trusted the part would last and threw away the receipt, I might return the new one after a week or just keep it as a spare...sad but true, to be honest I'm disappointed in Nissan as a whole, I used to own 240sx's 12, 13, and two 14's at some point and their quality was great, now this expensive POS, if the BCI malfunction comes back within a few months I'm trading this trash for a Land Cruiser.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts