Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Bent Rear Passenger Side Wheel PHOTOS need help Troubleshooting needed repair parts

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  primoV8 
#1 · (Edited)
My little community's landscaper decided to move a sizable boulder into a corner that I've always cut on my way out of the neighborhood and needless to say I didn't see it. I hit it in my 2010 Infiniti QX56 4wd and managed to tear the sidestep off first and proceeded to hit it with the rear passenger side wheel which bent something so badly that I now have to turn the wheel 90 deg to the left to move forward. I was able to limp back to my home but before I take it to a repair shop I would like to know what I'm dealing with. I'd appreciate it if anyone with experience repairing these types of issues could let me know what I'm looking at having to replace. I hope it's not a bent frame but I was going pretty slow >5MPH when it happened but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Here are the photos I took and can get more if you need me to. I'm used to working on my own vehicle and not squeamish about it so if I need to take the tire off to get better or more detailed photos just let me know. I am a pro photographer that's struggling with everything going on and would appreciate any help so that I don't get taken at the repair shop since I'm not familiar with repairing suspension or drivetrain related issues.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah I think (hope) so too about the wheel being ok. Just to be clear are you saying that both control arms need to be replaced or just the bent one? Do you think the shocks might need to be replaced?

I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I can probably get the mount with the control arm and the spindle since altogether these aren't that much. Would you attempt this repair or do I need to take it in either because I don't have the tools or need it lifted not just on a floor jack? Thanks again

#5 ·
With the rear suspension components removed, it'll be much easier to gauge. Considering how bent out the wheel is, I hate to say it but it's likely a new rear subframe will be needed, along with other related parts.

Reactions: OBXPatrol
#6 ·
Thanks for replying! Do you know of a good way to determine whether or not the rear subframe is damaged? If it is would you drive your truck using a salvaged subframe or do I need to get a new one? I like to use OEM parts, just can't afford new right now. Appreciate your help

#7 ·
Those mounting brackets for the control arms and coil buckets are welded onto the subframe. If those are bent, then it’d take a really good body/frame shop to fix it correctly. If not, the truck will drive and ride terribly rough because alignment will be out of spec.
Only way to rule out replacing that rear subframe is with all the component removed from the rear end.
If a subframe is needed, salvaged is worth a look to save some money as long as everything is intact.

Reactions: OBXPatrol
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.