Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled into the garage yesterday. Shut off the truck and when I was walking into the house BANG! and sound of leaking air. Wasn't a tire so assuming I blew on air bag in my suspension.
Watched a video how to change them and looks straight forward so I'll tackle it myself.
However I have 3 questions:

1). Lost my job due to this covid bs. Am I ok driving it without the air bags for a bit, say until spring till I have some more cash for the repair?

2) I've always found this ride of this vehicle to be very stuff... Like I was driving an old truck. But you read about the truck and everywhere says the air suspension was supposed to make for a very smooth ride. When I do get around to replacing the bags will my ride be better than it had been before??

3) I've tried reading everywhere but I can't find any info. Is there any maintenance required for the air compressor?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
1. Probably, I rode mine with a bad rear suspension for ~6 mos till I had the time to swap them, a fairly easy swap actually. It just rides the springs and hits the bump stops every now and then.

2. Yup, the ride in the rear is very stiff even with a properly functioning air suspension. I believe it is due to the tow set up. It will ride better overall since the rear end won't be bouncing and all over the road afterward.

3. No maintenance that I could find either. I re-routed the air intake line into the cabin and added a few drops of air compressor tool oil to quiet mine down. The rubber bushings for the air compressor tend to go bad and can be purchased from Suncoast.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
1. the air bags are designed to keep the rear of the truck level with the front when there is weight in the back or if you're towing. if you are not towing anything or not having too much weight in the back to lower the rear, you SHOULD be ok... that said, you can damage the bag(s) over time and you should either replace them or remove them.

its possible the compressor will try to turn on if you DO have some weight in the back or if the truck is lower than its ride height, so keep this in mind - you may have to disable the compressor.

2. yes of course

3. compressor is a motor. its designed to pump up the bags. you can eyeball the hoses and fittings, woring , etc. over time all things will fail and if it does fail you will notice it.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
you can turn off your compressor very easily. Look under the back driver tire and find the leveling sensor that connects from the frame to the lower A-arm.
see how the arm right now goes straight out then DOWN to the A-arm. We need to use a 10mm socket to remove from A-arm and change the direction. The arm should go straight down and then LEFT and bolt it back on. then the car will always think the air bags are full and at right height.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts