Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I have posted. Hope everyone is doing well.

I happened to crawl under the Mada today for an inspection and see that a hole has worked its way through the exhaust near the tip that comes out the passenger side.

I purchased this from Burtmann back in 2010 and see that his site lists it as a lifetime warranty, so we will see how that works out.

Posting a pic of the hole...

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
The issue/warranty is with Borla. Call Borla and they will send you a new rear passenger pipe with tip from axle back. The warranty with Borla is basically lifetime/1 million miles. That is strange, almost looks like a plasma cutter made that.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The issue/warranty is with Borla. Call Borla and they will send you a new rear passenger pipe with tip from axle back. The warranty with Borla is basically lifetime/1 million miles. That is strange, almost looks like a plasma cutter made that.
According to Borla's website on their warranty page, they state this:

If you have any problems with a BORLA® product, involving either installation or performance, please call the company you bought it from immediately. BORLA® Distributors will take all necessary steps to ensure you are satisfied.

So I will give Burtmann a call and see what he says about it. From my previous dealings with Jason, he is a stand up guy.

Larger view of the hole. I agree, it indeed looks strange.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Did you have any work done lately? Certainly not corrosion and looks like it was done by either acetylene or plasma. Either way it was intentional. I guess it could have been patched before you bought the exhaust and the patch/repair failed. You can even see on the edges where the ss steel got hot and discolored.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no work done it on, except having the radiator replaced. I basically do all the work myself. I bought the exhaust brand new and I was the one to install it. So I don't know how it would be done intentionally.
Baffles me.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Certainly strange. Hopefully Borla takes care of you.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Do you park outside? Not sure exactly where it is at, but if you didnt do, it an no one else works on you cars; maybe someone was cutting it to steal the cats.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Just curious, what is the update on your exhaust?

·
SHIFT_Moderator
2,190 Posts
I had a similar issue with my Borla muffler and a hole last year. I had no copy of the receipt, but Jason Burtman still called and got me a replacement Borla Muffler under their warranty. Lucky for me he remembered me :)

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - finally figured it out.

That hole is where the hanger was welded onto the pipe. If you look at my first picture, you can see the hanger mount between the pipe and the spare tire. So... I guess there was fatigue where the welds were and the hanger broke free and ripped that hole in the pipe.

Today I called Borla. Half expected a runaround, but was very pleasantly surprised. I explained the issue to Chris at Borla. He quickly stated yes, that is covered by warranty and to give him my vehicle make/model information and to send him a few photos. I did as he requested and just a few hours later they sent me an e-mail and said that the new one would be in my hands in just a few weeks.

Apparently the exhaust is a "one-off" for the Armada, and sounds like they may have to fabricate it. That's fine with me. It was nice to deal with a company that stands behind their warranty and makes it hassle free.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Glad you figured it out and Borla took care of you. I'm surprised I did not notice the hanger was missing....duh. I will have to look close at mine. Mine has been on there since 05.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I had the replacement pipe/tip they sent me mounted by a local shop. The shop called me up after they mounted it and told me that the tips do not match. My existing tips were oval. The replacement pipe had a round tip. A few e-mails to Borla about it and they are now making me a replacement pipe/tip for the other side. Seems the oval tips were discontinued back in 2005 shortly after I had installed that system.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Bummer....I like the oval. My buddy put a Borla on his 06 titan in 07 and they were oval. He then got rear-ended in 2010 and the replacement from Borla was Oval. They still offer Oval tips and are very popular and widely seen in their cat-backs.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Updating missing pictures in my old posts as I find them. Here is the hole that was in the discussion...

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts