Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Borla combined with my air charger is pure bliss. The sound is sweet and the truck just feels so much smoother and less restrictive. She really has some serious lungs. It is not loud, just throaty and deep. The sound is very refined and IMO classy. Sounds like a finely tuned machine. This engine deserves so much more than the stock set up, these mods really free up this engine. Low end torque has not changed and at highway speeds the truck just cruises along and effortlessly accelerates with less gear changing when needing to pass. It is also no louder at highway speeds, just deeper.

Someone commented about the driver side exit piping running close to the compressor for the shocks. No problem here, it is a good 4-5 inches away from it. The crossover pipe is also 4-5 inches away from the backside of the rear diff. There were no clearance problems during the install and Borla does an excellent job with fit and finish. The kit was totally complete (minus) the flange gaskets which obviously can be re used if you like. Highly recommend this set up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
SE Off Road1 said:
The Borla combined with my air charger is pure bliss. The sound is sweet and the truck just feels so much smoother and less restrictive. She really has some serious lungs. It is not loud, just throaty and deep. The sound is very refined and IMO classy. Sounds like a finely tuned machine. This engine deserves so much more than the stock set up, these mods really free up this engine. Low end torque has not changed and at highway speeds the truck just cruises along and effortlessly accelerates with less gear changing when needing to pass. It is also no louder at highway speeds, just deeper.

Someone commented about the driver side exit piping running close to the compressor for the shocks. No problem here, it is a good 4-5 inches away from it. The crossover pipe is also 4-5 inches away from the backside of the rear diff. There were no clearance problems during the install and Borla does an excellent job with fit and finish. The kit was totally complete (minus) the flange gaskets which obviously can be re used if you like. Highly recommend this set up.
Alright that's the final straw I'm convinced I'm buying me a borla and volant and slappin em on when I get my 06' Q ASAP.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
Congrats on your mod. I've been looking at exhausts and have given strong consideration to both the Borla and the Billy Boat.

I'm just concerned about the loudness -- don't happen to have a sound level meter you could put to that thing and let me know how it compares to stock, do you?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Armada said:
Congrats on your mod. I've been looking at exhausts and have given strong consideration to both the Borla and the Billy Boat.

I'm just concerned about the loudness -- don't happen to have a sound level meter you could put to that thing and let me know how it compares to stock, do you?
It is not a loud exhaust, just throaty and deep. You can definitely hear it especially while accelerating. With out question it is louder than stock but only when you want it to be. I have not tried it with a stock air box but if it is too loud for your taste not running a CAI would certainly quiet it down. Too me it is perfect, I like to hear a little rumble. At idle it is quiet as stock, perhaps a bit louder, but certainly deeper, sweet sounding. The quality of the exhaust is outstanding; the welds are as nice as those found on expensive bicycles. I would highly recommend this set up. I went with the Borla because of their reputation for quality. The accuseal clamps used in the system are excellent and provide a leak proof and solid connection. No one has the tips that Borla uses, they are awesome and beautifully done and fully baffled. They are definitely unique, and look classy, like something you would find on European performance cars. If you are not looking to go somewhat louder than stock, no performance cat back system will do. I can assure you while cruising, idle and highway speeds the truck is really no louder, just deeper sounding.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eugene Onyeji said:
Kindly ellaborate what the 'Borla' and 'Volant' are all about. In what ways do they affect the performance of the beast and how much does each of them cost including installation?
Borla is an exhaust system from the catalytic converters back. Basically it involves removing the factory system and replacing it with an aftermarket complete system like Borla, Gibson, Banks, and more. www.borla.com

Volant, K&N, and others make intake systems. This involves removing the factory air filter box and replacing it with a less restrictive air filter. This will increase air the engine can pull during acceleration.

Both are fairly easy installs if you are comfortable wrenching or enjoy working on cars. I had a friend help with the exhaust which makes it a bit easier. The intake was piece of cake. If you would like to have it done for you you’re looking at 750.00-900 for the Borla plus 100-150 install. My K&N Air Charger was 250.00. I would think a shop would change 50.00 to 100.00 to install one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ggeorgie said:
few pics will be great, also from underneath, thanks ;)
I'll see what I can do, perhaps this week.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pictures

Here is a link to a couple pics of the mods. I will take some during the day as well as underneath. I know the truck is dirty, she needs a bath. It has been friggin cold!!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/seoffroad1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
547 Posts
SE Off Road1 said:
Here is a link to a couple pics of the mods. I will take some during the day as well as underneath. I know the truck is dirty, she needs a bath. It has been friggin cold!!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/seoffroad1

Nice set up bro!! Looks like it came that way from the factory. I wish you had a sound clip, I know it sounds nice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Borla

casinojames said:
Nice set up bro!! Looks like it came that way from the factory. I wish you had a sound clip, I know it sounds nice.

Thanks! I do like how it came out, and I too think it looks like they belong where Borla placed them. The sound is IMO incredible. When you start it emanates the sound of pure power. I will see what I can do about a clip, but clips never sound like the real thing, they will not do it justice. I will certainly get out more pictures, this time during the day and under the truck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
borla exhaust

undefinedundefinedThe sound, performance and looks are impressive on this borla exhaust! I also installed a K&N drop in filter and a Tornado fuel saver and it really open up the power of this SUV.
SE Off Road1 said:
It is not a loud exhaust, just throaty and deep. You can definitely hear it especially while accelerating. With out question it is louder than stock but only when you want it to be. I have not tried it with a stock air box but if it is too loud for your taste not running a CAI would certainly quiet it down. Too me it is perfect, I like to hear a little rumble. At idle it is quiet as stock, perhaps a bit louder, but certainly deeper, sweet sounding. The quality of the exhaust is outstanding; the welds are as nice as those found on expensive bicycles. I would highly recommend this set up. I went with the Borla because of their reputation for quality. The accuseal clamps used in the system are excellent and provide a leak proof and solid connection. No one has the tips that Borla uses, they are awesome and beautifully done and fully baffled. They are definitely unique, and look classy, like something you would find on European performance cars. If you are not looking to go somewhat louder than stock, no performance cat back system will do. I can assure you while cruising, idle and highway speeds the truck is really no louder, just deeper sounding.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ggeorgie said:
Is the Gibson Stainless steel? :confused:
Yes the Gibson is stainless, they also make an aluminized verion as well. The Borla is a better quality T-304 stainless steel which is superior to 409 or aluminized steel
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top