Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to throw in a replacement system in my Armada, and it has Bose. I plan on keeping the head unit, but wonder where the equalization takes place; the head unit or the amplifier? Reason why I am asking is I have a device that ties into the harness between the head unit and the amplifier and it gives 4-channel RCA low-level outputs for adding external amplifiers. If the head unit does all the equalization, the external amps are only going to amplify the signal the head unit sends out. If it's not a full range signal, then I'll need to pursue other routes. Maybe something like the JL Audio Cleansweep that is coming out in June.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I have an Adobe *pdf file from Bose with some techincal specifications and detail on our system. It's not much, but may be of some help. I can't post it here because our site does not recognize *pdf files for download (can that be fixed???). And I can't remember the web link where I found it! Sorry.

But if you will PM me with your e-mail addy, I'll send it back to you.

It appears that all equalization (except the tone controls) takes place in the Bose amps - there is one six channel amp outboard of the head unit and under the dash, and a separate one for the sub. So, if you can get the right connectors for the output of the head unit, you can replace the amps and speakers.

Since we share the same head unit with the Titans and their Rockford Fosgate 6 disc CD changer, you might want to go over to TitanTalk and run a search there. There are some serious car audio fans and experts there posting how they added aftermarket stuff to their system.

I have posted separately on this site some findings from objective testing of the Bose system in my '04 - this is with use of a professional grade calibration CD and sound level meter. With proper tweaking of the bass eq (which has a very bad upper bass cabin resonance in the 80-120 hz range) the system is amazingly flat as it is. Personally I see no reason to upgrade unless one is wanting a lot more power that we already have. Just my two bits.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
In regards to uploading pdf's
I downloaded the newest version of adobe (ver 7 I think) and there is a tool that looks like a camera in a box. If you select a portion of the pdf with that tool it copies it to the clipboard and then you can just paste it into paint or some other photo software and save it to a format that can be uploaded.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Thanks, Mr. Mod! I think I have version 6. I'll check out the upgrade and see if I can cut and paste it into something I can post.

It's just two pages of somewhat general info such as size of each speaker, where each amp is located, no technical specifications other than total RMS wattage which is stated to be 265 watts, of which 100 is from the separate amp located in the top of the sub. No info about cross-over frequencies, color codes on wiring or anything like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts