Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Armada with a Bose system, with XM. I bought it new, and shortly after I got it, I noticed a 'glitch' with the radio, where when I shut it off, it would 'reset' from whatever station I was on to one of the XM presets (never a antenna feed station). It 'fixed itself' during a trip, and I never thought about it again.

Until late last year, right around the time of DST ending. I went to update the clock, and it wouldn't stay reset, no matter what I did. That's when I noticed the radio was being glitchy again, as well, not 'remembering' the station it was on. So it essentially kept resetting/rebooting itself to some unknown point in time. I took it to the dealer and, of course, I was out of warranty, but they had never seen this issue, anyway. They looked at, tried to reset it by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, which didn't work. They finally did a hard factory reset, which worked. Not sure what all it entailed, but I went away happy.

Unfortunately, right before Christmas, it starting doing it again. The clock remains right, but the radio station always resets and the volume goes down to zero. I went back to the dealer and they agreed it was an issue but are at a loss for what can be done, other than replacing the radio all together. They couldn't find anything where this was a common issue. It's an annoyance more than anything, but I can't help but be concerned there's a bigger underlying problem.

Has anyone else had this issue or heard of something like this? Are there any recommendations are something to look at that might be the cause, other that replacing the system? Does anyone know of a way I can reset the system? :confused:

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Having the same issue on our 2011 Armada. Haven't taken it in yet but it drives me bonkers. It affects our MPG estimate as well - always goes back to an arbitrary number even after we reset it. So annoying!

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Whenever I notice strange electronic behavior in any modern car or truck, the first thing I suspect is the battery. Our trucks are very hard on batteries. If your battery is more than three years old, consider replacing it.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
We purchased our Armada back in April 2015 and the dealer had just put a new battery in it.

Whenever I notice strange electronic behavior in any modern car or truck, the first thing I suspect is the battery. Our trucks are very hard on batteries. If your battery is more than three years old, consider replacing it.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
We purchased our Armada back in April 2015 and the dealer had just put a new battery in it.
That doesn't mean it isn't bad. Particularly if the dealer had your car sitting on the lot for a while. Or, if all you do is take short trips, which doesn't give the alternator an opportunity to replenish the charge. Or, you could just have a bad battery; that happens as well.

I always have the philosophy of starting with the simplest solution first. BTW, that doesn't mean going out and buying a new battery. If you have a trickle charger, hook it up to your truck and make sure the battery has a full charge on it. If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage across the battery after it's been sitting for a while, say overnight. You need to see >12.6 volts. Measure the voltage while the truck is running; you should see between 13.7 and 14.7 volts running. Take the truck to a shop, most will measure your battery and check your charging system for free (I know Autozone will). Start with the simple stuff, then if that doesn't pan out, then move on.

Back to my own experience, our truck started doing strange things with the dashboard, the tach would sometimes read funny, the trip odometer kept resetting, the nav system showed we were somewhere other than where we actually were, the gear selector digits in the cluster would fade in and out. I suspected something bad was going on, that would cost mega-bucks to fix. A couple of mornings later, my wife called and said the truck wouldn't start, it wouldn't crank. So, she got it jump started, and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. When I got home, it wouldn't start again. I checked the battery, it measured about 8 volts. I put a new battery in it, and all of the weird behavior went away. The battery was about three years old, and was giving no other symptoms of going bad.

Keith

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2011! Can't seem to find anything regarding a fix. I have a new battery in the truck and it still does it. It took about a month for the clock to finally save the correct time for DST.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
So I found the fix for my radio elsewhere online. In the fuse box inside the truck (behind the glove box), I pulled the fuse that has the plastic casing around it. I pulled it far enough to disconnect the fuse to verify it wasn't blown. After about a minute, it pushed it back in. Everything works and "remembers" as it should. Can't recall what the actual fuse is referred to but I can tell you it wasn't the audio fuse based on the map from the lid.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So as a follow up, after a few times of the dealer looking at it and being puzzled, re-setting the to factory settings, getting a brand new battery, and everything else I could think of, I couldn't find a true cause. That said, I *think* I figured a work around - at least the past couple of times, it worked. Not to say that wasn't pure coincidence. If I just turn the ignition so it powers up, WITHOUT turning the engine on, get everything set (clock, usually, during the time changes), and hit the 'back' button to the 'home' screen, let it play for a minute, then start the engine, it seems to 'remember' everything.

I did that during the past two DST changes, and it's worked. It still does some funky things with the radio on occasion, but so long as I'm able to get the initial settings good, I can work around the stations going to a previous station when I start up. Not sure if this would work for anything else, but it's enough of a work around to make it not an annoyance for me anymore.

·
Super Moderator
5,877 Posts
What is the "everything else I could think of" bits? Did you get a different headunit? Replace any wiring? Check for contuninity at he wiring harness at the radio?

Little issues like this almost always related to the inside of the headunit, and since these are one spec that are not worth the hassle to repair.

You should not have to jump through hoops like that to learn some radio presets.

If it was a bigger problem elsewhere in the car (BCM issues ?) then you would lose seat memory positions, window up /down would not roll up/down on its own, etc.

Pretty sure you can source a good used oem radio on the market (dont know what model year you have).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup, that worked for me too. Fuses and fuse positioning were fine on my ‘11 Pathfinder. Used your trick of “
turn the ignition so it powers up, WITHOUT turning the engine on, get everything set (clock, usually, during the time changes), and hit the 'back' button to the 'home' screen, let it play for a minute, then start the engine, “. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Recently when I reset the clock it reverts back to the previous setting the next time I start the Armada. Also if I change radio stations it reverts back to the previous station (same station each time) the next time I start it.

Anyone have any insight into this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
See above bargoon. Follow the sequence exactly. It's goofy but it worked for a few of us. It appears like a continual power problem (which it could be for some), but I think there is an inherent software issue.

I actually took a screenshot on my phone so I remember the steps. The car needs to be off for a little while before starting the sequence. But my DST and time adjustment is now done as of a couple of days ago and is working fine.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Thanks all for your help. I tried the above sequence several times without success. Its winter here so I had the 4-wheel drive in "auto". I set it to 2-wheel drive and then tried this sequence and it worked. Later I returned it to 4-wheel and all is fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Armada, was in an accident got it back from the collision. Shop and now does everything everyone described... clock doesn’t stay at the correct time, radio keeps going back to the satellite, volume to zero so frustrating...

·
Registered
1 Posts
See above bargoon. Follow the sequence exactly. It's goofy but it worked for a few of us. It appears like a continual power problem (which it could be for some), but I think there is an inherent software issue.

I actually took a screenshot on my phone so I remember the steps. The car needs to be off for a little while before starting the sequence. But my DST and time adjustment is now done as of a couple of days ago and is working fine.
Is it still working?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2012 4x4 no nav and have something similar going on. screwy clock syndrome is what I call it. From reading the posts on this forum I have discovered it's most likely the pcb inside the radio unit itself. PCB is printed circuit board for anyone who doesn't know. It seems to short out for some reason or melt or...wreck itself whatever. It causes all kinds of weird stuff whether you have nav or not. Loss if presets, dst reset, clock reset, to name a few. Bottom line is Replace the head unit if you want to spend the money on annoying nuisance costs.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Welcome to the Screwy Clock Club. There's more than a few of us here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
after changing the radio in my maxima I had crazy security issues. The car would lock itself. Alarm went off. Probably missed a wire... just some information for you

[="auce99, post: 461953, member: 59537"]
I have a 2012 Armada with a Bose system, with XM. I bought it new, and shortly after I got it, I noticed a 'glitch' with the radio, where when I shut it off, it would 'reset' from whatever station I was on to one of the XM presets (never a antenna feed station). It 'fixed itself' during a trip, and I never thought about it again.

Until late last year, right around the time of DST ending. I went to update the clock, and it wouldn't stay reset, no matter what I did. That's when I noticed the radio was being glitchy again, as well, not 'remembering' the station it was on. So it essentially kept resetting/rebooting itself to some unknown point in time. I took it to the dealer and, of course, I was out of warranty, but they had never seen this issue, anyway. They looked at, tried to reset it by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, which didn't work. They finally did a hard factory reset, which worked. Not sure what all it entailed, but I went away happy.

Unfortunately, right before Christmas, it starting doing it again. The clock remains right, but the radio station always resets and the volume goes down to zero. I went back to the dealer and they agreed it was an issue but are at a loss for what can be done, other than replacing the radio all together. They couldn't find anything where this was a common issue. It's an annoyance more than anything, but I can't help but be concerned there's a bigger underlying problem.

Has anyone else had this issue or heard of something like this? Are there any recommendations are something to look at that might be the cause, other that replacing the system? Does anyone know of a way I can reset the system? :confused:

Thanks!!
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I'm happy to report the clock is now only 20 minutes behind in my Armada..........but I'm going to be doing some stuff that will require me to unplug the battery soon, so...........

Reactions: toname

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I'm happy to report the clock is now only 20 minutes behind in my Armada..........but I'm going to be doing some stuff that will require me to unplug the battery soon, so...........
Good Luck...Lucky for me on my 2011...when I disconnect my battery (doesn't matter for how long) my time automatically sets itself to the right time minus 2 minutes. I'm happy... I'm going to continue to keep my fingers and toes crossed forever.

Reactions: 49RFootballNow
1 - 20 of 20 Posts