Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I went out today and bought 4 Nitto terra grapplers in the 305/50/20. I paid $1257 including the road hazard/ride match/balance for life from Discount Tire for the set. Guy dropped the tires to $230 each if I agreed to the road hazard. I figured- what the hell. Lifetime balance, rotation and they replace (not pro-rate) the tires if I ever puncture a sidewall or blow out.

I was seriously debating the Michelin cross terrains and actually almost got them (They were cheaper than the Nitto's over at Sears for the set) but the terra's have a higher wear rating (500!) and plus they look better than the Michelins. Reviews were pretty much even for both models (raving) but the Michelins had more than a few people saying they wear out fairly quick, despite being a supposed 60k mile tire. One of the tire guys told me that with 20" and larger the tire manucturers are beginning to drop the mileage warranties due to the lower sidewall result from the larger rims. Plus I liked the fact that the Nitto's are "D" or "E" rated since I tow a good bit. I'm curious whether I'll get the D or E rated tires- does it happen by size? Seems to me they'd just be one rating (whatever the best is). Anyway...

I'll post pics if any wants, but I'm pretty sure they'll look fairly close to Tripleblack's infamous tire pic in his sig- only a touch smaller. I can't wait to get rid of these crappy Goodyear Eagle GT II's- they've been the worst tires I've ever had on a vehicle and I'll never buy Goodyear again. 25k miles!

I'm SO looking forward to no shimmy, a quieter ride, and better grip. :D

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of pressure should I be running in them? According to the load rating table they're saying 50psi. I've read that the Nitto's require more air than the standard 35.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
adjmcloon said:
What kind of pressure should I be running in them? According to the load rating table they're saying 50psi. I've read that the Nitto's require more air than the standard 35.
I've been going at 35 which is what Discount set them at when I got them. The 50 is if you are towing. Tire pressure is typically based on the vehicle specs, not the tire. However, I have heard of people running 37-39PSI. Couldn't hurt. You'll probably have better cornering, harder ride, and they won't stick as well for accelerating/decelerating but it probably won't be very noticable though. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
I called them (Discount tire) and they said to run them around 30. Since it is a larger tire, you need less pressure to hold the same weight. They also said check the wear. If you have wear in the middle, you are too high. Edge wear is too low. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
I called the Discount Tire HQ instead of the local guys and they said that we should inflate to 1 psi higher vs. stock for each inch increase in rim diameter. Mine says 35 so I should be 37. Glad I verified and glad I didn't take the guy's word for granted. I emailed Nitto to double check. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Are the Nittos available in stock size (or close to it) for those of us with stock size rims?

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update....

The nitto's came in, and I finally had them installed yesterday. HOLY $H|7!! Unbelievable ride, and they are SO much quieter than the crappy goodyears! Thanks to all for the suggestions- finally the Armada drives like a Caddy- smooth, no vibrations, low noise, and they look cool as hell. :D

I'll update with pics this evening when I get home. The beast is in the shop today for the A/C TSB and a few other minor things.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Nice. They are sweet aren't they! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Now if we can only convert a few more dubbers. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.