Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting off discussion of the front brakes...

I've racked up just under 20,000 miles on the Armada in the year we've owned it. And I'm going to be taking it in to the dealership a second time for warped front brake rotors. The first visit was after 6000 miles and the dealer turned the rotors for no cost - problem fixed.

Anyone with similar complaints? (I've seen a couple NF posts on Titan issues and I'm guessing they have the same brakes)

Anyone with aftermarket (i.e. bigger) brakes?

Matt

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Armadaof1 said:
Just a bit more info...tech bulletin 04066 from Nissan deals with brake judder (?).
tech bulletin 04066

This problem has me a bit worried as well -- I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This is a well documented problem with the Armada rotors/brakes and Nissan is doing everything they can to avoid a recall. There is a TSB related to this as you've referenced, but even then, I've heard of people not getting satisfaction. My brakes are still fine, but then, I've only got 2200 mi on mine thus far. I definitely think the stopping power could be improved -- and while I don't want to cough up the dough for a set of aftermarket rotors/brakes -- I'm worried that I'll have to.

Becareful letting them turn the rotors -- I've read of cases where they're having to turn them too much to get rid of the "judder" and then they refuse to replace the rotors -- inexcusable in my opinion. Will be interested in seeing how this turns out for you.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I had mine in the dealer to fix the roof resonance last week, and they also replaced the brake rotors and pads. I hadn't noticed any juddering, but the technician that drove the car said he felt it, and they went ahead and did the work.

BTW, is it just me, or do these trucks give off a lot of brake dust? I wash it once a week, and the wheels are filthy every time.

Keith

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Campfamily said:
I had mine in the dealer to fix the roof resonance last week, and they also replaced the brake rotors and pads. I hadn't noticed any juddering, but the technician that drove the car said he felt it, and they went ahead and did the work.

BTW, is it just me, or do these trucks give off a lot of brake dust? I wash it once a week, and the wheels are filthy every time.

Keith
i too, have noticed alot of brake dust....i really dont think it is any more than normal though for a large SUV....

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I've noticed lots of brake dust on my Armada as well. It's been my experience that Nissan takes great care of it's customers, I had the "judder" problem on my '03 Pathfinder and they replaced the rotors at 22,000 miles free of charge. That fixed it, but I traded it in (for my Armada) at 28,000 miles. There was no judder on the Pathfinder when I turned it in.

Drew

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I just brought mine in for it's first service (3,500 miles) last weekend and made sure they noted my displeasure and knowledge of the brake problems that plague the 04 Armadas. The brakes are definately undersized (they could easily fit another inch or two in diameter in there, why didn't they?) and the pads are obviously disintegrating very quickly (wash the vehicle and one day later the rims are black again). One thing is for sure, when (not if) it comes time for them to fix the rotor warpage, they are not simply going to turn my rotors, they are going to replace them. period.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Ymryl - I notice from your sig that you tow with your Armada. How does it do? MPG? Have you towed on hills or high winds? Specifics on your setup would be appreciated (trailer length/weight, type of hitch, weight distribution, sway control, brake controller).

We are towing a 26' trailer, 4300 dry weight, about 5500 loaded. Equal-i-zer brand hitch, Prodigy brake controller. One trip so far, from LA to Lake Tahoe, was very impressed with how it worked, quite a bit better than our previous tow vehicle (99 Durango). Got between 10 and 11 mpg towing.

Keith

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Since I only have about 2000 miles on the Armada, I haven't experienced this issue yet. I also try not to stop like an F1 car. I did find that, when I get our Armada home and checked wheel torque, the lugs went from loose to way too tight. I retorqued all the lugs to 88 ft/lbs and we'll see what that does. Hopefully if and when they do warp, Brembo or the equivalent will have replacement slotted rotors. They stopped the warping problems that plagued my Maxima. Hawk pads are also helpful in reducing/eliminating brake dust.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
brakes

I posted this on another thread, but wanted to put it here as well.
Brakes... brakes... brakes. Had the rotors turned and new caliper "kit" installed at 2300 miles. Now at 4600 miles, have to take it in again. Called my Nissan dealer and he stated there is a new kit that was released about a month ago. He said that it involves installing NEW LARGER rotors as well as a new kit. He did not have the kit in stock and will call when it is available. Meanwhile, I checked the Nissan Bulletins, and I do see that there is a new bulletin for the Armada/Titan, but no where on the bulletin did it state they were replacing the old rotors for new ones. The new bulletin basically looks like it is just more resurfacing. Anyone else heard about the replacement with the NEW LARGER rotors? Instead of new larger rotors, they need new larger rotors with ventilation holes.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More tech talk for those of us trying to track down what Brake Warping / Brake Judder really is and how to fix it.

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/brakingsystems.htm

Based on the article, Nissan has the right fix, the on-vehicle lathe.

The second step, which has shown up on various forums, is to properly torque the lugnuts on the wheels. I'd bet this is not getting done.

Some discussion on the Titan Forum about the brake pads being the culprit, shedding material onto the rotor. Can't talk to this.

Matt

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Campfamily said:
Ymryl - I notice from your sig that you tow with your Armada. How does it do? MPG? Have you towed on hills or high winds? Specifics on your setup would be appreciated (trailer length/weight, type of hitch, weight distribution, sway control, brake controller).

We are towing a 26' trailer, 4300 dry weight, about 5500 loaded. Equal-i-zer brand hitch, Prodigy brake controller. One trip so far, from LA to Lake Tahoe, was very impressed with how it worked, quite a bit better than our previous tow vehicle (99 Durango). Got between 10 and 11 mpg towing.

Keith
I just saw your question pertaining to towing with my Armada, sorry it took a while to reply. We pulled my 21RS Outback all summer with the Armada (pulled it with an 03 4-Runner prior to the Armada) The Outback weighs in somewhere around 5,000 pounds and I have been using a standard Reese weight distribution hitch and a single friction anti-sway bar. Basically, the Armada tows it like it isn't even there...

We're trading the 21 in on Saturday for a 28RS-S, we're ordering the 28 so I wont be bringing it home until early spring (hey, at least I don't have to do any winterizing). We'll be going with the Equil-i-zer for the 28 and swapping out my current Tekonsha Voyager brake controller for a Prodigy.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
You'll love the Equalizer and the Prodigy; we use both, and wouldn't use anything else. Have you already bought your Equalizer? If not, PM me and I'll send you some info on getting it cheaper.

Keith

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Well, in my previous post, I mentioned that I had retorqued the wheels the day after I bought the Armada home. Well, 5600 miles later the brakes are still shake free. The more I drive this truck, the more I like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
RichK
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing