Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do the front brakes on my 2013, is anyone using stoptech brakes? Opinion if you are? I did the front brakes a year ago with the oem pads and rotors and they lasted 13k before the front rotors warped. I want to try the stoptech pads and rotors. I’m also looking for braided lines, but can’t find them? Opinions??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Stop tech is a very good upgrade for OEM. I've used them in performance applications but in the Cryo treatment meaning they will last longer than say a cheap local auto parts version. I have not looked into it yet but it would be my first choice when I do rotors. They also have great pads too. Don't waste your time with slotted or drilled rotors as these trucks are not being pushed at high performance levels to need those types of applications.

Brembo makes OEM replacements and can be bought as a package for a reasonable price.
Stoptech looks like they may no longer offer the blanks but do offer the slotted which can be ordered in the Cryo treatment I shared above. These paired with their Sport Street pads would be a nice improvement over many brake setups.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Do you all notice even pad wear between the front and rear, or on these WA60s (first gen), do the front pads wear out before the rears?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you all notice even pad wear between the front and rear, or on these WA60s (first gen), do the front pads wear out before the rears?
If you are experiencing this then the likely hood is the weight and supporting components to the front end doing a lot of the work to compensate for weaker points. If you are seeing poor braking, tire wear, etc. Look at bushings and shocks also a good tire plays a roll here. Bear in mind I'm not driving your car or in the conditions you are. These are places to inspect as you could have other underlying issues causing your problem.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I have Bilstein 5100s in the front, and have replaced control arms, balljoints, wheel bearings, tie-rod ends, and swaybar endlinks. I also roll on Nokian Rotiiva ATs. All good quality stuff.

I'm asking more of a general question, as opposed to my specific circumstance. Do Armada's tend to go through front brake pads faster?

I live in a hilly/mountainous area, and my braking is harder at times because of that.... compared to living in TX where it was all flat and straight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Its hard to say but I recall people sharing the Armada in general is hard on brakes before I decided to buy one.

Out West we have all newer roads and enjoy them which many are flat. I don't brake that hard and try and keep my distance. I do see if your area is hilly, etc. then going through brakes makes sense.

I have not thought about it that much but the way you describe your experience is like a motorcycle in a sense. My many years riding bikes and the front brakes do all the work and the rears do next to nothing. Cars are similar but the ratios are far higher on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I've been a fan of EBC brakes for the past decade now. This is what I bought for the Armada last year along with Power Stop z36 pads. Also included in the photo is a lexus pad for comparison how tiny our pads are lol

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered STILLEN Cross drilled rotors for front and back hopefully they'll last a bit longer. Like I said previously I do a lot of up and down hill driving. It doesn't help that I drive it like a race car lol..

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
If you look at HD trucks that are spec'd out at the factory to tow a lot more than an Armada they never have cross-drilled rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Unlike the cross drilled rotors you see on high end super cars, the aftermarket cross drilled rotors for the majority of daily driven vehicles are manufactured differently. The holes are drilled only AFTER the rotors are casted. This causes the rotors to crack over time, especially vented rotors as used on our trucks. They also wear out unevenly and wear out the pads at a faster rate.

·
Registered
2006 Armada SE (2WD)
5 Posts
Stop tech is a very good upgrade for OEM. I've used them in performance applications but in the Cryo treatment meaning they will last longer than say a cheap local auto parts version. I have not looked into it yet but it would be my first choice when I do rotors. They also have great pads too. Don't waste your time with slotted or drilled rotors as these trucks are not being pushed at high performance levels to need those types of applications.

Brembo makes OEM replacements and can be bought as a package for a reasonable price.
Stoptech looks like they may no longer offer the blanks but do offer the slotted which can be ordered in the Cryo treatment I shared above. These paired with their Sport Street pads would be a nice improvement over many brake setups.
Is there anyway to know which diameter front rotors you have besides a good old fashioned tape measure, like I know you have on the inside of the door your mfr plate with vin but is there a certain code letter or something?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is there anyway to know which diameter front rotors you have besides a good old fashioned tape measure, like I know you have on the inside of the door your mfr plate with vin but is there a certain code letter or something?
Any auto parts store will have OEM replacements for your year make and model. The specs should be provided as well. Google search is another fast way to find them. 🍻

·
Registered
2006 Armada SE (2WD)
5 Posts
No worries thanks a lot! BtW do you know of anyone making a good HD rear bumper for the first gen Armada? It seems as though you can install a Titan bumper, and maybe I will, but just wondering if there’s something better floating around.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
04-05, 320mm rotors / 07+, 350mm rotors.

06 was the in-between year. Depending on the manufacturing date of the truck, those manufactured later in the year came with the larger brake setup.

·
Registered
2006 Armada SE (2WD)
5 Posts
04-05, 320mm rotors / 07+, 350mm rotors.

06 was the in-between year. Depending on the manufacturing date of the truck, those manufactured later in the year came with the larger brake setup.
Very cool thank you much! Now I’ve got what I need to go from there!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts