Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Change the oil and filter after 500-1000 miles. New motors still have lots of rough edges left from machining that get worn off and end up in the oil. After about 7000 miles replace with Mobile 1. Change the differential fluid after 1000 or 2000 miles also. Follow break-in procedure in owners manual.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Don't go on cruise control during breakin. You want the rpms to vary. Next, change the oil early. The motor has metal filings that sheer off during the first 1000 miles or so. These generally get trapped in the filter. Changing the oil removes them.
Next, change the fluids in the diffs and if you had it, transfer case. These have a pasty sealent the factory uses to seal the diff and there is a bunch of it floating in there.
Also, try to go easy on the brakes for the first couple hundred miles. This helps them seat properly.
Last, initial breakin lasts about 1500 miles. After that, you can beat on it. If properly broken in during this time, you will notice the power increasing slightly up to about 10,000 miles when it is fully broken in. During this later period, no precautions need to be taken.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
pdiddy said:
Thanks Triple. I will note your recommendations during the break-in period.
Glad to help. These are the tips I have been using so far. If anyone else has more, I'd also be open to hearing them. ;)

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
So what's your problem?

ftnssn said:
dude, that dave and xtoy thing is just creepy
Don't like the nickname I use for my nissan Xterra?
Other Xterra owners have no objection. We were member #12 here: http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html and moderate two forums.
We bought our first new datsun(now nissan) in 1967. Where were you back then?

dave and xtoy - whoever dies with the most 'toys' wins :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Seems excessive

I have heard about changing the oil after the first thousand miles, but I never did it with any of my cars. Also with 500 miles I give the engine hell. Today was a real dry day and man did that engine perform.

What I am not clear about is the diff and transfer case fluids. I have NEVER heard of that. It sounds likes trouble to me. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. It isn't cheap to do, and the removal of transmission fluid is extremely invasive. There are two different methodolgy of removing transmission fluid. Anyway I never noticed that in my manual but has anyone seen this in their book?

Thanks,

Neil

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
neil said:
I have heard about changing the oil after the first thousand miles, but I never did it with any of my cars. Also with 500 miles I give the engine hell. Today was a real dry day and man did that engine perform.

What I am not clear about is the diff and transfer case fluids. I have NEVER heard of that. It sounds likes trouble to me. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. It isn't cheap to do, and the removal of transmission fluid is extremely invasive. There are two different methodolgy of removing transmission fluid. Anyway I never noticed that in my manual but has anyone seen this in their book?

Thanks,

Neil
Ripping into a motor with less than 1,000 will not give the rings enough time to seat properly, and they never will, loosing compression, and power for the life of the motor.
The stuff that comes out of the diffs and transfer case is scary. The trans I wouldn't do until its time but some people put synthetic in there also. So far I have it in my engine, diffs, and transfer case only. I'll probably do the trans fluid at about 25K to a royal purple synthetic or something. ;)

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
What about a/c is it OK to turn it on right of the lot or wait for 500 miles? The manual does not say anything about this.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Tmation said:
Yes you can use your A/C during running in, we are in sunny Saudi after all :D

Though saying that its a warm cloudy day here in Riyadh (31 C), and humid too which is most unusual.
Thanks.
I just got the truck out of the lot and it was hot and humid here in Yanbu. So, I didn't know weather I was able to use it or not. But going out soon to just drive it with a/c on. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.