Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - my wife has a 2013 Armada SV. Has anyone swapped out the stock headlights with something better? The lighting is just terrible compared to our other cars. I want a simple upgrade, but nothing that going be illegal or ridiculous. Looking for a plug and play options.

I'm currently using these:
SYLVANIA 9006 SilverStar Ultra Headlight Bulb
Direct 9006 (HB4) replacement bulb for Headlight, Fog, and DRL applications

Anyone have a recommendation for me?

//Brew

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Theoretically, any nonhalogen bulb will be considered illegal as the armada does not have proper projector headlamp housings. LED bulbs are going to be your best bet for an easy, plug and play upgrade. I put LED headlight bulbs into my family's older armada and the light output is equal to, if not better than the 35w HIDs I run on my truck.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I put LED headlight bulbs into my family's older armada and the light output is equal to, if not better than the 35w HIDs I run on my truck.
Do you happen to have a link or part number for what you put in your Armada?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Do you happen to have a link or part number for what you put in your Armada?
Sure - Beamtech LED on Amazon, Xtremevision HIDs

Generic HID kit, easy install. I strapped the ballasts to the bottom of the tray under the headlamps. Have had them installed for a little over a year with no issue. Only qualm is that the color is higher on the scale than anticipated. I purchased 5k bright white but they are more of a 6-7k with a slightly blue hue. Since it is a 35w kit, the glare to other drivers is reduced.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for this! After some quick research, I'm trying to narrow my choice between the BeamTech and JDM Astar 8th Gen (very expensive!)

//Brew

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run Cougarmotors off Amazon. DOT approved and total plug n play. Goingon 2 years now. The fogs and lows can be ridiculous at times, but I'm also sagging in the rearfor a little bit longer which makes that upward look blind folks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replaced my headlights with OPT7 HID Kit & my dogs with OPT7 Led bulbs. Haven’t had any issues with either of them & they give you a great warrantee. Anything goes wrong with the bulbs they send you replacements.

If you decide to go with HID bulbs for the headlights, adjust the headlights with the headlights knob under the hood. I moved mine down just a tad so they wouldn’t blind folks & ive had no issues. If you go with LED’s for the headlights, OPT7 LED’s already come cut so they shoot out not to blind folks

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced my headlights with OPT7 HID Kit & my dogs with OPT7 Led bulbs. Haven’t had any issues with either of them & they give you a great warrantee. Anything goes wrong with the bulbs they send you replacements.

If you decide to go with HID bulbs for the headlights, adjust the headlights with the headlights knob under the hood. I moved mine down just a tad so they wouldn’t blind folks & ive had no issues. If you go with LED’s for the headlights, OPT7 LED’s already come cut so they shoot out not to blind folks
Man, bummer you replaced your dogs with LED Bulbs. LOL. I know, I know. FOGS. ;)

I ended up ordering these:

DriveVision 9006 / HB4 LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit, 6000 Lumens 6000K Xenon-White, Superbright DX3000 Series – 2 Year Warranty

If they look good, I'll replace the high beam and my "dogs" as well.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
//Brew

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I put HID's for the hi and low beams in my crossfire and hi's in my 2009 RAM 1500, great improvement. HOWEVER THEY ARE A PROBLEM IN THE HIGH BEAMS BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO HEAT UP 1-3 SECONDS FOR FULL LIGHT. This is an issue for flashing them on if you need to. On the lows they are on and its not a problem, just FYI. My 2019 Armada SL has LEDs for the lows and it works well. The highs are incandescent which are poor to middeling and I might go to HID.

I have bought and tried LED replacements for my durango and they were sad for sure. Have not seen good LED replacements yet, still looking. Enjoy Woody

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man, bummer you replaced your dogs with LED Bulbs. LOL. I know, I know. FOGS. ;)

I ended up ordering these:

DriveVision 9006 / HB4 LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit, 6000 Lumens 6000K Xenon-White, Superbright DX3000 Series – 2 Year Warranty

If they look good, I'll replace the high beam and my "dogs" as well.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
//Brew
??‍♂??‍♂ LMAO. Didn’t even realize that but yeah you’ll be good with the HID’s in both. I had 8k HID’s in mine but took them out due to the ballast, it kept falling where I had it mounted so I threw some LED’s in there just for the winter. Once it’s warmer I’ll get under there & mount them again fully in a better spot

·
Registered
44 Posts
Theoretically, any nonhalogen bulb will be considered illegal as the armada does not have proper projector headlamp housings. LED bulbs are going to be your best bet for an easy, plug and play upgrade. I put LED headlight bulbs into my family's older armada and the light output is equal to, if not better than the 35w HIDs I run on my truck.
Correct, they are illegal because HID replacements do not put out the light correctly because the housings are not made for them. I'm am amazed that they are allowed to advertise and sell this stuff. It is dangerous for oncoming traffic. Luckily not too many do this, but the few I encounter are horrible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Correct, they are illegal because HID replacements do not put out the light correctly because the housings are not made for them. I'm am amazed that they are allowed to advertise and sell this stuff. It is dangerous for oncoming traffic. Luckily not too many do this, but the few I encounter are horrible.
They’re allowed because it’s not illegal to sell them as their are cars that require HID bulbs along with they can sell any type of bulbs/lights for vehicles cause you as the consumer are responsible for following & knowing your state laws.

But I do agree with you with those who have HID’s & are blinding folks. If folks knew & knowledge of setting their headlights properly, less people would be blinded by them

·
Registered
44 Posts
They’re allowed because it’s not illegal to sell them as their are cars that require HID bulbs along with they can sell any type of bulbs/lights for vehicles cause you as the consumer are responsible for following & knowing your state laws.

But I do agree with you with those who have HID’s & are blinding folks. If folks knew & knowledge of setting their headlights properly, less people would be blinded by them
I mean advertised to REPLACE a halogen bulb of course. AKA HID conversion kits. The packaging on some actually say they are DOT approved - NOT - since that is impossible without also changing the housing. Pure false advertising. Agree most people do not know that doing this is illegal nor realize the light spread is inferior to stock. It's just not enforced. Plus (as I recall) some older lighting wiring can not handle the extra load.

This is not an adjustment problem. It can't be made to work the same as with housings designed for HID light "creation".

The light pattern with HID in housings/lenses/projectors made for halogen is radically wrong as shown on some sites (search and you'll see many examples). HID to LED conversions might be better since the light generated looks to be closer to the same position. Haven't really checked into that like I did HID conversion for a prior car.

Technically it would also have to be approved by the NHTSA FMVSS standards for that vehicle. Here's a current change topic for adaptive beam lighting

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I put the smoked housings on my black armada. I upgraded to the 6K hid’s because I couldn’t see. After a year the ballast either started to not fire the lamps or fail outright. I replaced them with the cougar motors leds from Amazon too. They are plug and play; it took me longer to remove the hid setup than it did to install the leds

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I also just switched from stock halogen to the Cougar LEDs. Replaced the hi, low, and foglight bulbs. Nice improvement overall, and pretty easy to do.

I found it was easiest to access the bulbs from the wheel-well, after removing one screw and pulling the liner back to access the back of the headlight housings. Easy-peasy.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I run Cougarmotors off Amazon. DOT approved and total plug n play. Goingon 2 years now. The fogs and lows can be ridiculous at times, but I'm also sagging in the rearfor a little bit longer which makes that upward look blind folks.
Which ones did you buy? Too many cougars.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I also just switched from stock halogen to the Cougar LEDs. Replaced the hi, low, and foglight bulbs. Nice improvement overall, and pretty easy to do.

I found it was easiest to access the bulbs from the wheel-well, after removing one screw and pulling the liner back to access the back of the headlight housings. Easy-peasy.
Which ones did you buy? Too many cougars.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I just got some LEDS so I'll share.

I got these for highs and lows - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGL43QF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these for the fogs -

Both are supposed to be 6000k and so far they look like they match - which is all I wanted. I don't think the fogs are very useful, they are more for appearance so I want them to look the same as the headlights.

Only been out at night once around town so I am not sure how they compare to the Silver Stars I had previously. So far they are obviously a different color temp and are brighter. I'll know better when I get on some familiar back roads.

They seem to have a decent cut off that is in the same place as the previous headlights - or maybe that is more of a headlight enclosure design, either way so far so good.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Bought highs, lows, and fogs..... And did the fenderwell access mentioned above.... Quick YouTube. Disregard the first non fitment. Helping a family member with another vehicle. Screen grabbed all 3 needed and posted.
shows it all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts