Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We are shopping for a travel trailer to tow behind our 2017 SL. We will most likely buy used from a private seller. Sometimes the sellers include a WDH but sometimes they don't. Wondering if it make sense to buy WDH rated at 5000 lbs plus so we have a WDH when we find a trailer we can tow it home.

Thanks,

Jim and Jane

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I always thought the wdh bars were rated based on the tongue weight they support. My bars are 1000 lbs. I could use 800 lb bars since the tongue weight of my trailer is less.

·
Premium Member
2013 Armada Platinum 8 passenger
79 Posts
Its an 'up to' weight rating, so 800lb bars are good up to an 800lb tongue weight, anything under that is good. The trade off is usually that higher rated bars weigh more, and therefore use up some of your available tongue weight. So if your trailer has a 750lb tongue weight, and your truck is good to 800lbs, but your WDH setup weighs 100lbs, you would be over on tongue weight by 50lbs.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
71 Posts
You likely won't need a WDH to drive it home, though the ass might sag a little. But the air shocks should be able to handle it, depending on the tongue weight. I personally wouldn't buy the hitch until you know the trailer tongue weight and height.

If a hitch isn't included, the day you go to pick up the trailer, ask the seller what hitch ball size it requires. Then on your way, stop at Walmart and pick up a hitch and ball, that'll cost you like $40. If you go to pick up the trailer and decide you don't like the trailer, then you can head home and return your hitch and ball. This is what happened to me once.

Then, at your leisure, research the best setup for your rig and get the right parts. Yes, that might have cost you an extra $40, but I'd happily spend that if it meant my trailer sat level and the distribution and sway control were properly sized.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts