Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently considering buying an Armada, and are looking for any advice. My Consumer Reports says reliability is 151% worse than average, and it seems that there are alot of problems, esp. w/brakes on here. But it also seems most of y'all love your Armadas anyway.

The dealer is offering us a deal on a couple of '05s. Either an SE w/moonroof & leather pkge + DVD & tow pkge added on for $35,839 or an LE w/DVD added on for $40 even. I'm wondering if spending more on an '06 would be worth it, if they've got the kinks out.

We'ere also considering a Toyota Soquoia (sp?).

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
sweethomeAL said:
We are currently considering buying an Armada, and are looking for any advice. My Consumer Reports says reliability is 151% worse than average, and it seems that there are alot of problems, esp. w/brakes on here. But it also seems most of y'all love your Armadas anyway.

The dealer is offering us a deal on a couple of '05s. Either an SE w/moonroof & leather pkge + DVD & tow pkge added on for $35,839 or an LE w/DVD added on for $40 even. I'm wondering if spending more on an '06 would be worth it, if they've got the kinks out.

We'ere also considering a Toyota Soquoia (sp?).

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!
Do a search on Consumer Reports and you'll find out why they are just plain wrong as usual. Best advice for CR is to do the opposite of what they say. They have taken the 2004 repair record, a first year vehicle and first time Nissan built a full size suv, and used that to predict what an '06 would do. They fail to take into account or mention that the majority of the problems were from the brake rotors warping. These rotors have been redesigned and are the best of class brakes now. Also, the older ones can have the new parts retrofitted on to the Mada for free under warranty regardless of warranty. Similar problem to what Toyota had with Sequoia and Tundra except that it took them 4 years to fix and they didn't cover them. Last, the other minor problems were a bad window switch, cabin boom, and some rattles and squeeks. Again, these were fixed by '05. You should have no problems. I'd use the CR for leverage to get a good deal, but its total horsecrap. CR does excel at one thing. They make great paper for the bottoms of bird cages.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing about the repair history being based on a new model. Do you know if the brake modifications have been made on the 05's? I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pay more for an '06.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
sweethomeAL said:
Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing about the repair history being based on a new model. Do you know if the brake modifications have been made on the 05's? I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pay more for an '06.
Most '05s didn't have the brakes done. Mine didn't. The mods are only new rotors and pads. The warranty covers them until 2008/unlimited miles. They are now installing the new pads and rotors on the '05s as needed. If you are buying a used one, it may have them done already. If you are getting a leftover, it may have them from the factory. If you are getting from a dealer, just let him know that you want the new parts installed before you take delivery. Won't cost him a penny to change them. Last, the problems aren't dangerous. Warped rotors make the brakes feel like they are pulsating, but you still stop. And the brake system is the best of class in terms of stopping power. You will stop faster than an Honda Accord from 60 mph. ;)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I think we'ere pretty much sold on this bad boy, so I'm glad to hear positive remarks. I was pleased w/this dealership last time I owned a Nissan, so I'm pretty sure they'll take care of any problems if I ask.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I have an '06 and wouldn't want anything else right now. If it disappeared tomorrow, I would get another one just like it. (maybe add DVD and nav, but the budget always wins)

If you're going to buy the '05, I would hold the dealers feet to the fire on price. For comparison... Sticker price on mine was $37,200. I bought it for invoice price, $33-ish MINUS the rebate ($1500), for a grand total of around 31,500. Check the 05's for the Automatic Temp control too... it's standard on the 06's, but was only optional for the 05 LE version.

I also notice you mentioned the dealer installed tow package... don't be fooled into paying the standard $600+ for a dealer tow pkg. He will just be adding a hitch and wiring. The factory tow pkg includes lower gear ratio, auto-leveling rear suspension, transmission temp guage on the dash, pre-wired for trailer brake assist, and heavy duty battery. The hitch and wire install can be done at any mechanic shop and should only cost between $100-$200 depending on the hitch type.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
We looked at 05's before getting our 06 SE-OR. At the time, the difference in price was less than $3,000. We considered the upgrades to the brakes, HVAC and other detail items to be worthwhile. In addition, the 05's had been baking in the AZ sun for a season. OK, paint can be buffed, but the interior plastics and leather take a beating under those conditions and can't be 'brought back' like paint. So for us, the 06 was an easy choice.
Also looked at the Sequoia. But for some reason, my wife had a harder time getting into the front seat, either side. In additon, the v8 is smaller and seemed to be working hard. In comparison, the Armada V8 is just loafing along on our 75 mph roads.
Everything on the truck works as it should. An issue with two trim parts has been resolved by nissan. Nothing else needs to be done. Even went off-road. While we felt like milk-shakes, but everything on the truck stayed bolted on. Not a single rattle or squeak. Since I do my own oil changes, the tank may not see the inside of a dealer shop for a long time.

dave - already added a Borla dual exhaust :cool:

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Great truck. My only complaints are some squeaks over rough roads. They all do it, 04, 05, and 06. I have a 05 and have driven a 06 and right off the lot it had squeaks and some rattles. But if you’re going to buy a truck on a seriously stiff boxed frame it will rattle and squeak some, so expect it.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
SE Off Road1 said:
Great truck. My only complaints are some squeaks over rough roads. They all do it, 04, 05, and 06. I have a 05 and have driven a 06 and right off the lot it had squeaks and some rattles. But if you’re going to buy a truck on a seriously stiff boxed frame it will rattle and squeak some, so expect it.
I had a couple squeaks. Drivers side seat (Because I have a big :moon:, it was replaced under warranty), overhead console(cracked from factory and replaced for free under warranty), and sunroof(loose bolt, again warranty) I brought it to the dealer, now nothing. Squeak free for the past 10k miles. ;)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. We took advantage of a rainy day this weekend and test drove an '06 LE. I floored it & slammed on the brakes several times and did a real fast U-turn. I was really impressed w/handling and the ride was surprisingly smooth. Brakes were awesome.

My husband said the salesman probably had to change his pants after riding w/me. :D

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
sweethomeAL said:
Thanks for all the input. We took advantage of a rainy day this weekend and test drove an '06 LE. I floored it & slammed on the brakes several times and did a real fast U-turn. I was really impressed w/handling and the ride was surprisingly smooth. Brakes were awesome.

My husband said the salesman probably had to change his pants after riding w/me. :D
Nice. Good to hear about salesmen changing their pants and competent women drivers. :excellent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.