Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you have had the TSB done for the cabing boom? Once you had it done did it resoleve the noise? I had the TSB performed a couple of months ago and the problem is still persisting. The noise leve seems to have decreased, but it is still to annoying to drive with only one rear window down.

I was just wondering if Nissan's fix was no good, or if the dealer just did not complete the procedures right. :confused:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I was not satified with mine until the dvd support bracket was installed. It was a fight with the dealership because nissan would only perform this tsb on models with the factory installed dvd setup. Mine of course did not have the dvd system. I very well could be wrong but my understanding was that the 05 models all had this support bracket in it, dvd or not and that's what fixed the problem. Now, I only notice a very slight shimmy or shake from the roof over very rough conditions. But with day to day driving it is night and day difference. Hopefully you have the factory dvd system, will be much easier on you.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
RUN2 said:
Just wondering how many of you have had the TSB done for the cabing boom? Once you had it done did it resoleve the noise? I had the TSB performed a couple of months ago and the problem is still persisting. The noise leve seems to have decreased, but it is still to annoying to drive with only one rear window down.

I was just wondering if Nissan's fix was no good, or if the dealer just did not complete the procedures right. :confused:
I had it done, the boom is reduced, but not completely eliminated. Only seems to happen on a concrete freeway with expansion joints (typical in SoCal). The dealer has had the roof down at least four times for the booming, excessive bouncing or jiggling of the headliner (I don't know how you guys with DVDs up there can watch them with all the bouncing), and various rattles. Still not fixed to my satisfaction. Guess I'll have to live with it, at least the rest of the car is so good that I can put up with the minor gripes.

Keith

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Its normal

RUN2 said:
The noise level seems to have decreased, but it is still to annoying to drive with only one rear window down.

My old 1ton crew cab and 4Runner both will exhibit "cabin boom" if you roll down one or both of the back windows, this is normal.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
The TSB is meant to fix the cabin booming sound while driving over bumps or rough roads. We're not suppose to have cabin boom at slow speeds which is what the 04' Armada suffered. The 04's roof flexed because they weren't anchored properly to the cross beams between the headliner and the roof. This fault resulted in the roofs ability to flex up and down going over bumps or rough roads. The TSB epoxies the roof to the the cross beams and stops the flexing of the roof over bumps so the booming sound ceases.

This is the problem I had mentioned above and is no longer existent thanks to the TSB.

Now let's talk about when you get the booming sound again at higher speeds usually around 50 mph or above with the windows or a window down. The wind gust coming in and out isn't constant, thus, the air in the car isn't constant which is pushing and pulling on your eardrums giving you that buffeting feeling in your eardrum. The windows aren't large enough to let the air flow more freely at that speed creating a vacuum in the car. Drive in a convertible with the top down and you won't get booming in your eardrums because it's fully open. The wind is everywhere moving freely and not through some tiny window. What the air is trying to do in a closed in car with the windows down is looking for more places to relieve that vacuum so it looks down your ear (drum).

Another analogy is like an airplane. Over 10k ft. the plane has to pressurize to keep the bulkheads from caving in from outside pressure. As you pass the 10k ft. ceiling, that's when your eardrums pop.

In a car going faster and faster with the windows down, the pressure is pushing and pulling air in the car again....or...pushing and pulling on your eardrums.

So with all this said, I hope you understand a little more about the booming issue. YES, I still get booming sound flying down the freeway with any window down and thats normal. If I drive slower than freeway speeds over rough roads or bumps, NO, I don't get that booming sound I used to before the TSB fix.

Read the TSB more closely...it says (Quote) IF YOU CONFIRM: A "booming" noise is heard in the cabin while driving in rough road surfaces, NOTE: This incident may be described as a "buffeting" sound, or an air pressure "pulsation" that is heard and felt in the ears. (Un-quote).

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I will just put up with the noise, seeing how the dealer trashed the inside of my vehicle the first time they tried to fix it. :mad:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
i just got a 05 se 4wd no dvd. I get a "boom" type sound when mildlly accelerating from 45-52 mph. i feel the pressure sensation as well as a slight vibration in steering wheel (my watch and kids child seat vibrate too) what does anyone think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.