Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new here. I just bought a 2012 Nissan Armada SV. Trying to figure out what the reason is for the difference in towing capacity for the SV vs the Platinum trims. It seems like the only difference is the airbag suspension, but not sure how that would account for ~1500 lbs of gear. Doesn’t matter much to me, I bought the armada for the added power of the 5.6l v8 coming from a 2017 pathfinder, and my camper is only about 4300# fully loaded. Just curious as to why such a big difference in Nissan’s tow specs.

·
Administrator
6,326 Posts
i dont tow but have been privy to many threads on this discussion over the years here.

others who toe more often will chime in, but i believe the models with the tow package have different gear ratios which helps with towing (in addition to what you have already surmised).

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL RWD
99 Posts
Hey all, new here. I just bought a 2012 Nissan Armada SV. Trying to figure out what the reason is for the difference in towing capacity for the SV vs the Platinum trims. It seems like the only difference is the airbag suspension, but not sure how that would account for ~1500 lbs of gear. Doesn’t matter much to me, I bought the armada for the added power of the 5.6l v8 coming from a 2017 pathfinder, and my camper is only about 4300# fully loaded. Just curious as to why such a big difference in Nissan’s tow specs.
I think there are differences based on the number of passengers too. For example, if the middle row is missing a seat and seatbelt, that weight is not in the calculation. Also, I think in the Platinum model, the middle seatbelt in the third row is missing (I may have the trim level wrong) but that would allow for 6 total passengers, not 8 (missing one in the middle and one in the back). Those are all calculated into the GVWR for tongue weight and towing capacity - along with the factory tow package. All of these things are variables in the towing capacity.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello folks, as I understand it, the S and SV models have either a 6000 or 6500 lb tow rating and the SL and Platinum models have a 9000 lb rating. However, I am not 100% on this. This link might help. Enter your vin then click on "decode" the check in the "Tech Specs" tab and there you will find weights and towing info for your vehicle. You can always call your local Nissan dealer as well. Hope this helps! Have a blessed day!

Sorry, it took my "old man" brain a little while to realize I had not posted the link... Its my grandkids fault not mine. :oops:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I believe it is not just the air suspension, but the addition of a quite sizable transmission cooler added to the vehicle that increases the towing capacity.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
It's the air suspension, different final drive ratio, and transmission cooler. On the S and SV, you could get those as part of the "Big Tow" package, but that came standard on the SL and Platinum.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Others may have mentioned this but I will chime in. The Platinums have a higher rearend gear ratio 3.36:1 whereas the SV taller gears at 2.94:1. This means the SV will cruise with a lower engine rpm and lower torque but slightly better fuel economy (in theory).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts